Thread: Can we talk cars?

saxman is offline Junior Member
    Now Wales, next year Auckland (hopefully)

Cool Can we talk cars?

With any luck I hope to join you all sometime next year (although I may be extremely naive vis-a-vis imigration). My short story is on: The Welcome Mat - I've got a secret.

If I understand things right, there is:

1) No insurance requirement?
    2) No crippling car tax?
    3) Relatively cheap fuel? (compared to UK)

Hence my observation of 16yearolds driving big bad beautiful V8 Holdens.

I've trawled (and still am) "Trademe", every make and model etc for months and have made my dicision... Jag XJ8. It is my dream car (until I can get an Aston Martin for the same price!)

These are the 3 reasons why I wouldn't even dream of owning a big car in the UK.

So, are there any hidden costs which I should be aware of to reduce the size of my engine?

Anyone else own their dream ride? (No need for kokopeli to reply - LANDCRUISER) I certainly considered the Chevy Cherokee, maybe the year after.

Being the sneaky person I have to be ("I've got a secret") I'll be sorting out my better half with a Mazda MX5. She's been over here too long and needs to top up the tan.

So can I change my username name to "Jagman"?

pete mc is offline Junior Member

The average 16 year old would prefer a Nissan turbo or Subaru WRX. V8 Holdens are more the choice of short moustachio'd tradesmen. You might think petrol is cheap (I don't) but getting anything mechanical done on anything remotely exotic will cost a fortune. Which is why I've got a Hyundai. Desperately uncool, but really economical and can't be killed. Try hiring a car for a while first to see what you reckon. Also, you really should get at least 3rd party insurance.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi saxman,

Car insurance isn't compulsory and won't be checked by the Police if you're ever stopped, but as pete mc says, I would highly recommend getting at least third party insurance if you own a vehicle. It's not that expensive - we've got fully comp insurance for 2 adults for 2 vehicles for about $80 per month

There is no 'car tax' as you would know it in the UK - rather something called Registration which costs approximately $127 for 6 months, but depending on what car you have, it can be cheaper or more expensive than that.

Fuel is $1.68 (about 65p) a litre (for Regular) at the moment (again, cheaper in some places but you have to know where to look ). Cheap by UK standards but not so cheap when you're earning NZ bucks!

HTH

Unhappy

I was much happier in my ignorance!

At this rate it's gonna cost me more than 200 extra per year.... before I even get in it (lets not talk about fuel).

Can I just clarify (I've been investigating)
    Registration fee every year: $247
    Licencing fee every year: $418
    Insurance not that bad, actually. About the same as UKish.

But I would be saving about $50 per 60litres.

Thank you both for your insight. I must go now and drown my sorrows whilst checking out the Nissan Micras on Trademe.

pete mc is offline Junior Member

Hi saxman, have had a look, the Registration is a one-off ($388 for up to 2.6 litre), licencing is a $247 annual fee. Every year you need a current Licence (probably Car Tax in UK) and current Warrant of Fitness but shouldn't need to pay a registration fee. It's all very confusing- each year I think to myself "must get a new Rego" when it appears what I actually needed was a new Licence. If you get a diesel you need to pay a different licence fee plus road user charges for km's driven. Summary- w.o.f. $20-30 + cost of any repairs, licence $247 up depending on car. Check out Land Transport NZ - Ikiiki Whenua Aotearoa.

Duke is offline Senior Member

I remember seeing a listing for a 1981 chevy silverado for 11000 NZD, which is funny to me when I see them for pennies on almost every country drive in Ohio...and you know what?? I have one that is 4x4 and in great condition...if I can only figure out a way to get that steering wheel on the other side, I may be able to bank out on this american classic..lol, ya right

What about concession trailors? We pondered the idea of chasing festivals and cook'n sum grub...does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with that??? a Brit named 'Chippy' gave us that idea when we were in Roatan, somehow his trailor got stuck in the sand and has been for 20 yrs... and I must say it was the best fish and chips with split pea salad Ive had.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Vehicle registration is the one off cost for the vehicle getting registration plates (also called number plates and licence plates: We don't want to miss an opportunity for further confusion)
    then there is what is commonly called registration, but is the annual licensing of the vehicle for on road use,
    then the Warrant of Fitness (annual or 6 monthly depending on vehicle age)
    and then Road user charges for diesel vehicles done on a per km travelled basis. (This tax is already built into petrol for petrol powered vehicles, but diesel has it separated to so that vehicles that are not used on-road do not subsidise roads, and for heavy vehicles that wear out roads more to pay more.)

For info on insurance costs plug into this site. You'll need to say which suburb, post code, and dates of birth for drivers etc
    State - Your Car Insurance Cover

but better than this site which also requires the vehicle registration number which is a bit tricky when you haven't bought it yet.
    www.ami.co.nz

People Space is offline Senior Member

Just thought of something else. Many Northern hemisphere drivers are surprised at the age of some of our vehicles here. Ok so we can be a bit cheap, but with no salt needed on the roads, and a predominance of the reliable and long lasting Nissan and Toyota makes in the relatively recent cars, things do last quite well here, if looked after by the one mechanically-minded non-aggressively driving owner that all used cars have had.

mountainlake is offline Junior Member

In Auckland at least, parking spots are very small. If you have a big vehicle, it will be covered in dings in no time. We bought a corolla wagon but were frightened by the way people drive here - very careless. So we traded it in for a small SUV (Hyundai Tucson). People drive crazy in Auckland - not "road rage" type of crazy, but just sloppy and carelessly. We noticed a huge difference in how people drive around us now that we are in a larger vehicle. That said, we fit into parking spots but any larger vehicle would be quite tight and would end up with dings and scrapes. (I come from Washington DC and Tampa Florida, so I am used to crazy drivers. They are worse in Auckland, unfortunately.)

Typical! Take a couple of days away from the ol' pc and everyone shares their pearls of wisdom. Thank you all.

Special thanks to those who included web sites. I had, indeed, read or written it down wrong. I am now looking once again at the good old XJ8 (Yipeee). Insurance (full comp) will run me around $994 for 2 drivers.

Yo, Duke.... Silverado! What a beast. I don't think I could ever justify that. The only way I'll be able to get a Jag is by a direct attack. "Iwannit,iwannit,iwannit,iwannit..."

Your cars are more expensive than UK equivalents, but I do think they are in much better condition. As People Space rightly observes, you don't salt or grit your road. And the weather is... different. Also WOF every 6months makes a difference.

I had been informed by mum-in-law-to-be that kiwis are the worst drivers in the world. I'm sorry, she may be right! It seems that indicators are optional extras in Auckland. A trend that's catching on quick in UK too.