Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job crisis

damy is offline Member

Default Job crisis

I just read a news on The Daily Mail saying that "Expats' paradise lost in New Zealand's jobs crisis - just weeks after it was named best place to make a fresh start"
    Look at this link on
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...A4613A6A8D7F05

And this news on the New Zealand Herald is quite similar click on this
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/immigratio...ectid=10583027

Is the job market that bad right now due to recession? Has anyone on this forum received job offers within last 4-5 months , please let know what the current economic crisis is like in Aotearea
    Last edited by damy; 18-07-2009 at 05:18 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It's not just the recession that's doing it, Damy. In NZ it's the knock-on effect because of the amount of kiwis who are returning home after losing their overseas jobs. The government is trying to make sure they get first choice in the available jobs. I have read on the forum that some people are still getting job offers but it certainly won't be as easy as it was before. It seems best to try for a job that a kiwi can't do or doesn't want to do.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

damy is offline Member

But still the question is How long it takes on average to find a job as an IT/software developer for an experienced person , i mean how long after one has moved to NZ .
    People who have already moved to NZ can provide some information ?
    Cheers!!
    Damy

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

There's still a skills glut in that area, and if you look on Seek or Trademe there's HEAPS of jobs available for software developers. With the multitude of languages though, whether your particular skill suits the available roles will dictate how difficult finding a job will be. One company here in Hamilton are footing the bill to train developers from other disciplines to learn their required language as there's so few skilled people available.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

damy is offline Member

I had been very exuberant when i came to Aotearoa , but i have applying and trying for IT jobs since 3 months , but i have'nt receieved and interviews as yet. and that too when i9 already have experience of working in IT in NZ , which is quite depressing and have used all my finances with which i had with meas well to stay here. :( . I have 'nt got any thing to work part-time as well
    I dont know what to do , any suggestions?
    Cheers!!
    Damy

Blog Entries

Oh dear! Which part of NZ are you in, Damy? Would you be able to move to another place where there might be more jobs?
    Mother Bear

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Well our company has just recruited a "pom" (and one that is still in the UK too) for a software developer as we just couldn't find anyone in NZ with the requried skills .. so there is hope.

Compared to when I was looking there is definatly far less IT/software jobs now.

How are you going about job hunting / applying? and where? If you can, try and apply to companies directly. I had far better success that way, as the recruitment agents seemed to tell me anything to keep my business.

We're recruiting loads of graduate positions at the moment if that helps - drop me a PM and I can forward the details to you .. might be less than you're hoping for, but a step on the ladder!

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

damy is offline Member

Hi
    i have been applying on Seek and Trademe ,i live in Auckland but i am open to move anywhere in aotearoa as , i had travelled almost all of the NI.
    But i havent been lucky getting any interviews as yet.
    how could one apply to companies directly asd the jobs listed on seek/tradem are by recruitment agents.
    Cheers!!
    Damy

damy is offline Member

Can anyone provide suggestions on job hunting as i have been trying for the past more than 4 months , but without any luck , any help in finding temporary or casual jobs too is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cheers!!
    Damy

Blog Entries

Have you thought about looking through the Yellow Pages telephone directory for companies that look like they might be able to use your skills? You could phone them to ask if they have any positions. Have you looked through the job advertisements in the local newspapers to see if anyone is looking for your skills?

If you have PR with no conditions attached and are running out of money, perhaps you could take a temporary job in something completely different just to bring in some money while you continue to look for work in IT. Even working in MacDonalds might do for the moment . With PR you don't have to get work in your skill although, obviously, INZ would prefer this.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast