Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carefully think about it before moving here!

borderbear is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Carefully think about it before moving here!

:mad: I have been here for two years now and have not been too impressed by some issues already which I expected to be different (clean and green lie, gang crime, backwardness and discrimination against foreigners in some areas). But well, that is nothing...

What has made the news lately is unbelievable. Pregnant women that travelling would put at severe risk for their own and their babies lives are forced out of the country. Even though they have all means to meet possible costs, their applications are declined and treatment refused (if it would be the Immigration NZs will). As reasons we here that the NZ health systems does not have the resources to treat tourists, visitors and temporary residents such as students or those on a two year work permit! :mad: I cannot believe it! Tourists sustain a huge part of NZ - more than 25% live of tourism. Foreign students finance NZ universities. Backpackers spent at least $60/day/p.p. which they brought from abroad. People on temporary work permits spend a lot of money on immigration, on equipping their households and buying cars etc - again with money earned abroad. NZ lives largely from these people! If they want to attract ever larger numbers of tourists, foreign students and skilled professionals and are happy to take their big bucks they have to have the resources to have these people in their country including healthcare!!! I cannot just take as much money as I can possible get and then in turn not provide the resources (there are very very few cases in which they are needed any way)!!! What the hell are they thinking?

This is a real eye opener. Those of you that do not have made the move to NZ yet should honestly rethink if they want to live in a country that treats people inhumanely like that. I do not want to. It is deeply ashaming and makes me extremely angry.

You gotta read the following links to really understand what I am talking about! You won't believe it.

Pregnant tourist told to leave country - National - NZ Herald News

Pregnant? Pack up and go home - National - NZ Herald News

Koreans: Let student have baby in NZ - National - NZ Herald News

Editorial: Rethink of pregnancy edict needed - National - NZ Herald News

Before that, there has been the case of a family (skilled migrants from the middle east with good jobs and heaps of money) who had been living and working in NZ on temporary work permits for five years that really outraged me. They were refused further work permits and let alone permanet residency because they have a blind daughter. Being blind (or otherwise disabled) is not an acceptable standard of health. The daughter did not use any special services that she could possibly put a strain on and the parents would be able to pay for anything anyway. They have now packed up. Ridiculous and extremly inhuman. I cannot imagine worse discrimination of pregnant women and disabled people anywhere! I think all of this is against the human rights act!

Please let others know about this situation in NZ! They do not deserve to be perceived as a peaceful clean and green paradise!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

well it turned out alright for her in the end.
    they said she could have baby then go back home.
    Next thing i heard, the hubby is getting a business visa

This makes me mad, as these people will probably get residency much easier, than the people who are here working,struggling to get through all the forms etc
    Or the skilled migrants trying to move here
    Just because of all the publicity they managed to raise

I think this family, certainly knew what they were doing

As for the toursists being asked to leave, they should have looked into what immigration allows, and what it doesnt
    If they have been here 5 yrs, then plenty of time to get work in the correct category, or learn to speak English

We came as tourists, and wanted to see if we liked NZ before we comitted oursleves.
    Wanted to see if hubby would get work

He did, we love it and decided to ship over our stuff.

Ok now we have had a setback, due to the recession. hubby lost job, and finding it hard getting work in same category
    But no way am i blaming NZ
    Also we have had 3 months trying to find work.
    And to be honest, we know that immigration might ask us to go back, we hope not. But they could.
    Its a risk we took, and we knew how strict it was here, before we left Scotland
    I have found up till now immigration here, in chch very helpful, and easy to talk too
    I dont have any complaints

If Scotland had any of the immigrant restrictions in force there, we probably wouldnt have moved here
    In Scotland they dont even have to come in pregnant

nah, i think NZ is a beautiful place, and i definetly hope we can stay
    Though not gonna have a baby to ensure it
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Ummmmm - you're a bit t'd off aren't you? I wonder what's gone wrong for you recently. Calm your pants down and take a deep breath
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Well said Meadow

I've seen this posting on a few forums ... guess borderbear is a little narked for some reason?

Personally I herald NZ for their strict immigration policy. Why shouldn't NZ put their residents first? Am, soo glad they aren't more like the UK and welcome everyone ... and then wonder why the NHS and benefits system is crippled?

Lou
    Last edited by zummerzet_lou; 15-06-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

It pains me to say it, but I have to agree with the Wifelet. One of the main attractions of NZ to me was the way in which the Country protects itself from being used and abused in the way that the UK has been over the years. We've seen what "Open Borders" does to a country and I would never want to see the same happen over here. I guess the only real answer if you've ended up in a country that you are not happy living in, is go back to where you came from
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

pete mc is offline Junior Member

Borderbear- you're obviously not happy here, but I think I know how to solve the problem. I don't know where it is that you came from, but you'd be a lot happier there. No-one I know says NZ is a "peaceful clean and green paradise" but I reckon it's a lot closer than any other place I've lived in. Try opening a newspaper in any country in the world (assuming they're not heavily censored, that is) and see if you can find any examples of "inhumane" treatment.

Duke is offline Senior Member

down the road a bit there was a looney dad that went into the home and shot his ex mother-in-law, then took his children out of bed and put them into the car, drove to the end of the road and cut thier throats.
    Everyday something like this happens in America, but local news only covers it, for a day or so, then forgotten...and somehow cnn thinks a squirrel that drinks from a water fountain is news?
    I have also been snooping around the expat exposed site and feel a little discouraged on the move to NZ, reading that forum has taken the wind right out of my sails...
    I know this has nothing to do with being deported and pregnantcy just elaborating and clearing my mind of something that has been bothering me.

pete mc is offline Junior Member

There's plenty of crime in NZ, you just have to minimise your exposure to it. If you do that, there's a good chance you won't experience it. I wouldn't walk around central Christchurch by myself after midnight, I always lock the car. It's not paranoia, it's common sense. Every so often there's a picture in the paper of some tourists who have been robbed. They didn't have insurance because they "thought NZ was crime free". That's just stupid as far as I'm concerned. My passport and travellers cheques were stolen on a train in India- it was my carelessness, not the fault of the many fantastic people I met over there. The other day we accidently left our front door wide open for about 4 hours while we went out. The fact that nothing was disturbed doesn't mean there's no burglars on the North Shore. If you want a crime free paradise, best to look elsewhere (good luck with that). If you want a reasonably safe, comfortable place to live where most of the people are friendly and helpful, NZ is pretty good. Just keep a bit of perspective about things.

Default Agree with NZ stance

I have to say that I agree with NZ's stance on immigration; In fact, it's one reason I have worked so hard to get in. I would really hate to see NZ become an open borders mess like the USA, UK, and France have.

Brad
    EOI submitted - End September 2008
    EOI selected - October 8, 2008
    EOI decision successful (145 points) - November 11, 2008
    ITA packet received - November 21, 2008
    Trip to New Zealand - November 2008
    Application for Residence submitted for Skilled Migrant - February 17, 2009
    Case Officer assigned - May 25, 2009
    Telephone Interview - June 16, 2009
    PR Approved - June 19, 2009
    Passports with blue stickers received - July 1, 2009

lutez is offline Junior Member

Its great isn’t it. I love the way NZIS stick by their guns, it shouldn’t be a free ride just because you make yourself look needy.

For all you ex UK out there do you know they,,,,,, the UK government is actually paying another country millions to improve the conditions of their prisons, why I hear you ask…… so that they can deport criminals (people who have committed crimes in the UK) back to their own countries without infringing their human rights.

I pray that the day NZ gets that stupid never arrives!

Lutez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast