Thread: Types of schools.

NZAspirant is offline Junior Member

Default Types of schools.

Hi,

I was just reading about the types of schools -- Primary, Secondary, Intermediate, Contributing etc. Can somebody explain these terms? I can understand Primary, secondary, but what are the other types and what do they mean?

Thanks in advance.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

High School (Secondary School) doesn't begin until 13 years of age here (as opposed to aged 11 in some other countries, certainly the UK), so between the ages of 11 and 13, kids attend what is called an Intermediate school - it's kind of a preparation for high school When a child reaches the age of 11, they either move to a local intermediate school for 2 years, or, if their current primary school offers an on-site intermediate option, then basically they stay there until they are 13.

I'm pretty sure Contributing means that some sort of voluntary fees/donation is payable by the parents, the rest being provided by the government. The cost of fees is usually dependant on what decile the school has been rated (e.g. a Decile 1 school would be in a poor socio-economic area, mostly funded by the government and with very low fees payable by parents; a Decile 10 school (the highest decile) would probably be in a relatively affluent area, with less government funding and higher contributions expected from parents). Private schools obviously are totally funded by annual fees payable by parents and are a different thing altogether.

HTH

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Have found this "Q: What is a contributing primary school?
    A: A contributing primary school caters for Years 1 to 6 children (usually five to ten year olds). Programmes at contributing primary schools are based on the New Zealand Curriculum for this age group. After completing Year 6, students go on to a junior high school or intermediate school, or sometimes a Years 7 to 13 secondary school" from here

and this "Primary School

Your child will being their school life in Primary School. Depending on which school they are enrolled at they could attend their first school up to and including Year 6 (contributing school) or right through to Year 8 (full primary school). If the school they attend is a contributing school then they are likely to attend an Intermediate school for Years 7 and 8 of their schooling.

Here’s a breakdown of the Primary School types and which years of schooling they cater for.

Primary
    Full Primary School (Year 1-8)
    Contributing School (Year 1-6)
    Intermediate School (Year 7-8)
    Kura Kaupapa Māori (Primary)"

from here.

So it seems if your child goes to a contributing school, they change schools and go to an Intermediate for Years 7 & 8, otherwise they attend a full primary school and go straight to Secondary school.

Not sure if this will help or confuse the issue!

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

In that case, I stand corrected on the definition of a Contributing School

The info is still correct though, regarding deciles/fees, etc (I hope )

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    In that case, I stand corrected on the definition of a Contributing School

The info is still correct though, regarding deciles/fees, etc (I hope )
    Don't worry, WG, we can't all be brilliant at everything

Sorry, NZAspirant, bit of a take-over of your thread. Back to the subject at hand.
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!