Thread: Places for Autumn Leaves

rasin is offline Member

Default Places for Autumn Leaves

Hi,
    It's my first Autumn here in Wellington and I'm wondering where could we see nice Autumn leaves near Wellington Central? Also which are the good months to catch the red leaves? We hope not to travel too far with 2 young kids. We're near Wellington city. Thanks for advice.
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

charming is offline Member

Hi Raisin,

Since you are in Wellington, I think you would be the best person to answer this question.

Do you know which city is better to settle down in New Zealand, Auckland or Wellington. I've never been to New Zealand before but have family in Auckland. Is life in Auckland more fast paced than life in Wellington? Are there more jobs in Auckland than in Wellington? My husband is in the airline industry and I am in the secretarial/administration field.

I have applied for residency under the skilled migrant category but my ITA is yet to be approved.

Thanks
    charming

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasin View Post
    Hi,
    It's my first Autumn here in Wellington and I'm wondering where could we see nice Autumn leaves near Wellington Central? Also which are the good months to catch the red leaves? We hope not to travel too far with 2 young kids.
    I would guess that autumn would be the time to see the colourful leaves and that time should be coming soon. Perhaps there are some parks or wooded areas near you where you could see them? Hopefully our Wellingtonians will keep a look out for you and report back when they find some.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rasin is offline Member

Thanks Motherbear :)

Hi Charming,
    I've only been here in Wellington for 3mth and never been to Auckland hence difficult to compare. However I would say that Wellington is quite a balance place where you could get city life as well as beach and parks. We stay near the airport and had great view of the planes taking off and landing in the sky all days (the kids love that!). At times, hubby would drive (just 5min drive) the kids to watch the planes or pple windsurfing at the waterfront while I do my groceries shopping :)
    If you're not choosy, daycare or playgroup are available (tried to put in waitlist earlier though).
    There're libraries and supermarket, playareas within the suburb.

One thing I dislike here is the windy weather.. You've to grab hold of your drinks and sandwich tight when doing a panic under the great sun. (I'm from tropical country hence still trying to figure out what to put on for the kids under the hot sun and with cold wind.) My hair is usually in a mess too with such wind!

However don't expect great autumn leaves view or white snowy calender view over here... But I guess that's only important if you're going for tour.
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

heathercooling is offline Junior Member

We Found Autumn in Silverstream, there is a golf driving range just off SH2, this little side street will be full of fallen leaves when they drop. The leaves on some of the trees are turning red now, some are still golden, I missed Autumn.