Thread: A change will do you good...but too much change won't.

paul_dickson78 is offline Junior Member

Default A change will do you good...but too much change won't.

Hey all,

How you doing? Hope you're managing to enjoy this amazing weather, certainly don't get autumnal days like this back in the UK.

So I've been here a few days and it's really starting to dawn on me how much change I'm putting my body through. Not since the days of puberty has my body had such a shock to the system. Of course there is the physical aspect in the time difference making sleeping and eating igh on impossible but thats not the biggest shock. That came when I was saying goodbye to friends and family last week and I started to realise what I was giving up to make the move. Then there is the whole trying to find a new job, after being in employment since the age of 16. As well as starting over a relationship with the one you love. Pretty sure I didn't have this twitch in my left eye this time last week.

Don't get me wrong, after only a few days I'm certainly not thinking about going back to the UK (almost typed home, must stop referring to the UK as home) and I know I've made the right move in the long term, just a lot to take in for the old grey matter and that beating thing in my chest. I'm not really missing the folk back in the UK, I will I'm sure over the coming months, I guess I'm really missing some support down here. Yes I have my lovely lady, but it's always good to have close friends on hand just to talk to and laugh with...you know?

Sorry this is just a general ramble, it's good to get it out of my system.

Catch ya soon folks.

p.s. Heres a little something I wrote and sang at my leaving party...it bought on a few tears and hugs..

I am leaving behind a life that I know,
    To see if it's better elsewhere,
    It is into the unknown that I go,
    With my hope, my pride and a prayer

Fore I don't know where I'm going,
    I'm not even sure where I've been,
    But I know if I get lost some day,
    I will always have you my friends,

It may seem a long way from where I know,
    The land where I'll start again,
    Both my heart and mind are saying go,
    Fingers crossed I'll see you all there

Fore I don't know where I'm going,
    I'm not even sure where I've been,
    But I know if I get lost some day.
    I will always have you my friends

Please raise your glass to that what I know,
    Whatever happens out there,
    It will make me the man I wish to be,
    And I'll be smiling all the way

Fore I'm sure of where I'm going,
    And I'm proud of where I've been
    Now I know I'll never get lost again,
    As I'll always have you my friends. :)
    Last edited by paul_dickson78; 25-03-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added a little bit

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

So you're a closet songwriter Paul? Is it sung to any particular tune or did you write the music as well?

It's good to hear how you're doing so far. Don't worry about not having close friends at the moment. These things take time, but I'm sure you'll soon find yourself with another bunch of equally good mates. It's very early days for you and, at least, you have your lady to ease you in. It will all come together bit by bit without you even realising it.

Good luck and keep in touch.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting, Paul. We're always here as a listening ear for a ramble, not least because most people can understand exactly how you feel We may not be able to do anything to help, but we can at least sympathise!

Your song is awesome, obviously from the heart and it must have been an emotional time when you sung it.

I understand about the friends thing - Taffy & I always had each other obviously, as you do your OH, but you need friends too and it was one of the things I found hard when we came here. After 4 1/2 years here, we have now built up an amazing circle of friends, who I couldn't imagine being without. I'm not suggesting that it will take you that long to find some friends just that it will take time. Stay in touch with the friends you have back in the UK, keep them updated on your adventures here - you needn't lose those friends, you're just giving yourself the opportunity to find even more

Keep enjoying NZ and stay in touch

jive is offline Junior Member

" I'm not really missing the folk back in the UK, I will I'm sure over the coming months, I guess I'm really missing some support down here. Yes I have my lovely lady, but it's always good to have close friends on hand just to talk to and laugh with...you know?"

101% true for our case too and finding it very hard to stop missing old friends and to find some close ones here!!

I too posted a different version of your ramble sometime back on how to make friends in the forum.
    Guess it will definitely take time-I hope for the best:-(

paul_dickson78 is offline Junior Member

Default Keep smiling

Hi Jive,

Hows the whole settling in thing going?

Since posting the above post the woman I mentioned has gone out of my life so finding it even more difficult to get settled. Alas I do now have a job and getting to know some cool people from the office. I guess it's never easy picking up where you left off, especially if you had a great group of mates, but I'm sure in time it will all come good (just got to keep reminding myself of that and to be patient).

Do you think many people from here would be up for brunch one Sunday and swap emigration tales?

Keep your chin up, P.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I'm in Hamilton, or I would say yes to brunch. My car is not the most trustworthy, and there are days I'm not sure she will make the 15 minute drive to work, LOL!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10