Thread: Hello, is going absolutely mad part of the moving experience?

ConniePrags is offline Junior Member

Talking Hello, is going absolutely mad part of the moving experience?

Hi. HELP!
    I introduced myself in the introduce yourself section of this forum; the short version is I'm moving to New Zealand. Whangarei to be exact, to work in the hospital there. I am waiting for my registration with the NZ medical council to come through. I have been advised not to book flights etc, until that's done, so I'm waiting. I wonder if anyone here has been in my shoes and did you wait or go ahead and book everything. The trouble is the agency looking after me said it could take anywhere from 3 -10 wks to sort out, although I should get registered with no real problem. But I start work early June this year, and I would love to be in NZ by mid May.

Also I need some direction on rental agencies and where to stay in/ around Whangarei. I would like a apartment on the coast if possible, I suspect it will be more expensive, but I would love to live near the beach at least for awhile. I hope to send my things by ship about a month ahead of my departure (so about mid-April), and I plan to have a full pack/unpack service ( cos I hate packing!) so an unfurnished place would be fine. Perhaps I could rent a few pieces of essential furniture for a short time?

I am really looking forward to my move, but the more I think about it the more nervous I get. And the more questions I seem to have! Like what's working life going to be like as a medic in NZ? And what's the area like... the official sites all sound great, but what's the real story?

Goodness , I have been going on. I really hope there are people with handy hints and answers to my questions out there, and they stop to leave me a little note. Ta very much in advance.

ttash is offline Junior Member

Smile

Hey Connie

Welcome!! I remember what it was like trying to think what to pack and whatto put in storage and what to get rid of. I made lots of glorious mistakes that now make great stories. Did I really need the whole Estee Lauder collection of nail varnish colours in my hand luggage. Hmmm probably not!!!

Just try and take a deep breath, enjoy the challenge and the excitement and ge set for the most fantastic adventure ever.

Dont forget to keep us all posted and any questions you have, no matter how daft they seem will be answered by someone who has been there and done that.

Good luck
    x

Thanks very much for the encouragement. When I moved from Trinidad to the UK, I remember being surprised at how little I'd accumulated in 6 years there (albeit as a lowly student). In a similar amount of time, I have managed to accumulate all sorts of things here, including a house!

Good news ! I now have my eligibilty letter from the NZ medical Council, and the brakes can come off now. I can apply for my visa with a job offer and approval from the MCNZ. I hope that this makes the process simple and straightforward. Then it's ticket, and shipping and GO! Of course there's all the bills, and cancelling of things/ memberships, and putting the flat on the market and buying furniture to rent the flat with, and everything else to be fit in between now and mid-MAy. Aaargh! And to add to that I am flying home to Malaysia for a week to lend emergency moral support, so I can't do anything until I get back!

Enough moaning now. All I meant to say was thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ConniePrags View Post
    Good news ! I now have my eligibilty letter from the NZ medical Council, and the brakes can come off now.
    Congratulations! At least that's one thing out of the way now .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ttash is offline Junior Member

thats great news.

Whats your time frame for coming out here?
    Where are you intending on settling

Its the most wonderful country I have ever lived in and I am still excited about livng here.

Sorry for long delay... had emergency trip home to Malaysia this week. I have a start date for work on June 8th, and I have marked May 18th in my diary, as the latest date to arrive in Whangarei. I have no idea where to live in Whangarei. I'm hoping, between now and then, to find a B&B/holiday home to stay at while I scope out the place.