Thread: Gyms in Auckland

Vile is offline Junior Member

Question Gyms in Auckland

Just wondering whether there is any 'gym culture' in NZ? I've gotten used to having a gym membership wherever I live, and I would want to continue with that when I move to Auckland.

Is it common for people to go to the gym? Are the gyms in NZ basic, luxurious or in-between? What sort of facilities do they have? Pool? Weights? Aerobics machines? How much does membership cost?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Vile; 17-01-2009 at 04:48 AM.
    shorter of breath, and one day closer to death

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

There are plenty of gyms but many people just walk or ride a bike to stay fit - much cheaper.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    [...] but many people just walk or ride a bike to stay fit - much cheaper.
    Sure, but I find it hard to stay motivated walking or cycling for exercise - I do it for fun, but I wouldn't count on it to keep me fit. Going to the gym is somehow more compelling, and it's also a social experience. Plus, you think of all that money you're wasting if you skip a workout or two ...

So, anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for gyms in Auckland?

pete mc is offline Junior Member

Google 'les mills' or 'pro fitness'. there's a huge variety of gyms, prices, most are pretty well equipped. My wife goes to the Les Mills in the city before work, I go to the Takapuna Leisure centre gym on the north shore. Mine's not real serious but still has cardio machines, a pool etc. Try to get a free trial before choosing.

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

I am a personal trainer in auckland and work at people s homes, local parks, beaches etc and also a couple of my clients I train at the gym they have their memberships with. There are plenty of gyms in Auckland, from your Les Mills which is a very busy gym that offers alot of classes but also has all your typical equipment, sauna etc to the community gyms which you can find locally. It really depends what you are after.

In general the gyms here are about the same as in europe, prices are similar as well. You would be looking at about $20- $25 a week for a 6month to 1year membership, but the community gyms are alot cheaper, you can get a 3month membership for as little as $175. You ll have to see where you live and what s in your area as there is alot around to choose from.

There definitaly is a gym culture here in Auckland, alot of people have gym memberships and go on a regular basis. It is just as popular as anywhere in Europe.
    Trainers here are very well qualified and have alot of knowledge, however floor staff are not very helpful in most places.

If you know where you are going to be living I can tell you exactly which gyms will be in your area.

Hope this helps
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

Hey, great to see some good advice here, even though I posted months ago! Thanks, pete and kiaora, I'll look into those options - Les Mills sounds similar to the type of thing we (i.e. the OH who actually decides) like.

jive is offline Junior Member

Yes of course.
    Few companies have gym inside their workplace here like ASB, ANZ etc.
    So if you are employed in any one of them, then you are lucky. All they need is a GP certificate that you are fit enough to use the gym and the best part is you can use lunch breaks etc for work out time. Its free too.
    Most of the apartments and townhouses have a basic gym. Its free to use since rental costs cover that.
    And gyms like YMCA and Massey univ's are cheap to subscribe for in Auckland.

Cheers!

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

I can recommend Health & Sports gym in Auckland - they have 2 gyms. One in Newton (pretty central) and another one in Kingsland. I think my membership is about $20 per week but it might have gone up for people joining now (I think they keep your membership fees at the same rate as when you joined for as long as you're a member). I like the Newton gym because it's airy and spacious and rarely too busy!

Another tip is to try trademe for people selling on their gym memberships. You can sometimes get cheaper rates that way.