Thread: Paycheck NZ

Duke is offline Senior Member

Default Paycheck NZ

Hi all...Hope your New Year is starting off a scream
    OK... I need a little help to visualize what this may look like in NZ

-A paycheck

it seems they take a little less than half of my pay here in the states/ counties and for other programs like health/ pension. Every state I work in is different too, so I never receive a stable check to budget.

Lets say I get a NZ employer to pay me 25 NZD/hr for a 40 hr week...How much cash would I have in my pocket at payday?

or I get an employer to pay a salary of 60000 NZD... how does salary go down?

Depending on my employer and thier benefits, how does one in NZ save for retirement other than depending on the superannuity? Im not talking about a shoe box buried in the yard either..

Health care is free, right? so that is payed by everyone in NZ, or visiting???

Can anyone explain in Lameins terms the tax table from the local to national level...meaning everything that is tax'd

I just want to try to vision what economic lifestyle I may be living in NZ...

Thanks for any Replys

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

THIS LINK MAY HELP YOU: Income tax rates for individuals (Find out about)

You would be: PAYE (pay as you earn)

Health insurance is paid in your taxes. If you are self employed you will also have ACC Levy which is based on what you do. The more dangerous, the more you pay.

The really aren't any deductions so tax is pretty easy and runs April to March.

GST- General sales tax is included in most prices (GST INCL -GST Inclusive) so the price you see is what you pay. Everyone pays and no exemptions. Clean and simple.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

please excuse my ignorance of not understanding taxes...I have no clue how they do it here in states let alone in NZ...but I did notice going to the counter at the store you did pay what was on the price tag, which was the way I like it.
    Ok..
    40 hrs/week x 25 NZD/hr=1000 nzd/week
    1000/wk x 4 wk/mo= 4000 mo
    4000 mo x 12 mo/yr= 48000yr

so my tax would look like this
    14000 x 12.5%= 1750
    25999 x 21% = 5460
    7999 x 33% = 2640
    = 9850 NZD
    So PAYE will be determined on the tax code which would be M...??? yes, my job is dangerous( high voltage, fall hazards, physical strain) will it be more for ACC???
    I got
    1000NZD/wk - 245 PAYE -40 KiwiSaver employee deduction(4%) = 715 NZD/ wk Net pay...correct???
    Is there anything else that I am missing, because I want to learn to understand this, and its funny because I dont even live there.

oh ya...What is a KiwiSaver???
    Thanks for any feedback
    Last edited by Duke; 16-01-2009 at 09:07 AM.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

A very general rule of thumb, is to half your earnt pay, to give your take home money.

I pay 39% tax, and also 4% contribution to kiwisaver ... and give-or-take a few dollars, this is half my money gone
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

Also, $1000 a week would equal $52,000 a year not $48,000! So, there you go, your $4,000 up already
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

O ya, 52 weeks in a year....duhhh!! man, I hope I never work that much.. Thanks for the help

I dont know how the Kiwis do it?
    Most standard home prices range from 300,000 to 400,000...w/ 20% down thats about 70000, then monthly payments have to be around 2-3000.
    To afford a home in NZ do you have to be in the 39% tax rate or earn more than 70000?.
    How do NZ'ers have such a high home ownership if one has to save such a large amount of money to get a key?
    Home mortage, home insurance,car payment+/-, car issurance, fuel, food, utilities, etc... it just doesnt add up???
    ....and now I know why I was never interested in this

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Do you guys ever look on the main page of this website??

Try this link Move To New Zealand - Understanding New Zealand Tax - might help ya a bit and there's a link to a Pay Calculator which is useful too!

HTH

Thanks Welshgirl...Wow...it was right under my nose the whole time...Im embarrassed, I apologize... very helpful calculators on here...its a no brainer.
    Thanks for the help

So the KiwiSaver...a savings put away for you and you choose 4-8% taken out each week or whatever?

so for retirement..NZ'ers have the superannuituy nd the KiwiSaver...correct?
    Last edited by Duke; 17-01-2009 at 10:42 AM.