Thread: Nearly 4 month post ....

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Nearly 4 month post ....

I think I missed my 1 month post and I have missed my 3 month post so thought I would go for a ‘not quite 4 month’ post. I thought I would post the reasons for coming to NZ and whether these had been met.

More space & less people
    Better house & quieter environment
    More relaxed working environment
    More relaxed schooling
    Chance for OH to become semi-retired (work part time)

More space & less people – definitely The space here in CHCH and surrounding areas is fantastic. The views of the countryside are great and there do not seem so many people around or cars on the road. This may be an illusion as the roads are so wide!!!
    Better house & quieter environment – definitely We bought our house before arriving in the country – a gamble I know but one that paid off. The house is more than we could have asked for and the area is superb. The ‘village’ has all that you want – the down side is the commute to work but even that is not too bad. I enjoy driving and it only takes about 45 -50 minutes each way. And the views as I am driving are breathtaking.
    More relaxed working environment – again a big yes As a nurse I am used to running around like a blue a***d fly all day every day and not having time to care properly. Here the patient seems to come first and as a nurse they make sure your workload is never too much.
    More relaxed schooling – My youngest goes to the local school and seems to really enjoy it. The sports lessons are not about competitive sports but more about fitness and in lessons he is not pushed too hard and seems to be achieving better than the UK at this level. However he is about to start year 10 so who knows!!
    Chance for OH to become semi-retired (work part time) – since arriving here OH has had 2 weeks temporary work. Financially this has put a small strain on our finances but we have managed. He is enjoying taking time out of the rat race and I have enjoyed having him at home to do all the chores so I can relax when I come home.

So it seems we have achieved all we set out to achieve in such a short space of time. For those thinking of emigrating or about to embark on their journey please do not be put off by the next part of this post. We are all individuals and have different expectations.

Having achieved all this why don’t we feel happy? Most days we both have spells where we either cry or are very near to tears. I posted a while ago about being homesick and received a lot of encouraging and supportive posts. Thank you all. We have listened to all that people have said and know that it does take a lot of time to really settle somewhere. I have tried to remain positive about this move and encourage the family by pointing out all the good things NZ has to offer and we all agree it is a wonderful place with wonderful people. But there is this constant nagging doubt that will not go away. It is a need for all things British and all our family & friends left behind. Maybe if our family where here with us or we had good friends from way back here too it would be different. Since we arrived I have felt like it is just temporary and although we have tried to make friends and go to meets etc… it just does not feel right. Maybe we have isolated ourselves too much – I don’t know. DD has now booked her plane tickets and flies back to the UK at the end of March. This will mean we will have 2 children in the UK as well the rest of family. This is too much and we have decided to sell up and return as soon as the house is sold. We discussed the option of renting the house out to keep our options open but all our money is tied up in the house so we would not be able to fund our flights or anything else without the capital from the house. Some days – like today – we really enjoy ourselves and can see ourselves settling here but these days are far and few. I am not sure if we will be able to settle properly when we return to the UK only time will tell. It has been a positive experience and we have learnt an awful lot about ourselves from it. What we thought we wanted out of life was not right and what it seems we do want was right under out noses all along. At least we won’t be sitting in our rocking chairs when we are 70 and wondering ‘what if ??’
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hey Nicky, I'm sorry to hear that, especially after such a positive start to your post. I bet you're relieved that you've reached a decision though. You'll take a lot of comfort from that I'm sure.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can sell the house and find somewhere to live once you get back to the UK..... Don't have any regrets - at least you've tried it. There's certainly no shame in deciding it's not for you. And top marks for sharing your experiences, thoughts and feelings with the forum. A lot of other people will learn a great deal from your posts.

C

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicky,

Well, I can only congratulate you both on a) being brave enough to give it a go in the first place and b) being honest enough with yourselves to admit it isn't what you want That old fear of gettng old and always wondering 'what if' will never apply to you!

We wish you the very best of luck with the sale of your house and hope that you settle back into life in the UK quickly when you get there. You will have wonderful memories of your adventure in NZ and many stories to tell I'm sure!

Please keep us updated on how it all goes for you. Will be interesting to hear whether you feel you made the right move going back

Good luck!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hey Nicky, So sorry to hear that it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to but pleased that you have made the decision to do what you feel is right for you.

It takes a lot of courage to walk our true paths and it certainly sounds like you've walked yours.

Goodon you girl

Love to all
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Duke is offline Senior Member

Nicky....
    Never look back... just forward

Blog Entries

Thanks all. The support is appreciated. The house is now on the market - just waiting for the hoards of potential buyers to descend and put in loads if good offers. DD flies back in 10 weeks so hopefully we will follow shortly after.

msta999 is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    sorry to hear it worked out like you thought, but it didn't.

Just wondering what kind of work does your Husband do that he couldn't find regular employment? I may help some of us who are in progress of making up our minds or planning the move.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

OH was a car paint sprayer in the UK - worked for GM for 30 years. He was hoping to work part time doing something quite easy & mindless ie. gardening, cleaning etc... but all these jobs either start at 5 am or want experience!!!!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The worry that we'd feel isolated and homesick is part of why we are dragging our feet on moving over. So I understand some of what you're going through. I'd love to be able to put the house & cats in stasis and give NZ a proper try, but I don't think we have the technology yet.

Good luck with the house sale. I hope you all are enjoying as much of NZ as you can while you wait. *big hugs*
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s