Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans in NZ?

msta999 is offline Junior Member

Default Americans in NZ?

Hello all,

Just wondering what Americans who move to NZ think about the country, culture, etc..... What are some of the biggest problems you had to overcome? greatest pleasures about NZ?

From you New Zealanders, what are, if any, some of the problems you see with Americans who come to live among you. Most of us are use to doing our own thing and some of these things may be irritating to some of you....or not.

I have been looking at NZ for a couple years now. At 44 I don't take a move like this lightly. Anything you can tell me about the town of Nelson would be great. I have read it is on the coast with the mountains in the background. Kind of a laid back rural town.....does this sound about right?

Thanks for your time.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome Msta999.

A few of our American members have dropped off the radar lately so, in their absence, I've dug up a couple of previous posts that might give a little insight into how some Americans at least are finding NZ.

Is NZ much more expensive than the US?

More than a bit discouraged.

Members Nick and Jacky are well settled in Nelson but only look in on us from time to time now. Maybe you could make contact with them by sending a private message. If you go into Contact Info on here and use the private message function, you may be lucky enough to get a reply if it's not been disabled. Suffice to say though, Nick and Jacky seem to be loving their new life in Nelson. Nick has posted some photos from time to time so if you browse through the Photos N Things category, you might come across them.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks MotherBear,
    I really liked what I read. Sounds like most New Zealanders are down to earth kind of people with a small town attitude.

Good reading, I'll keep looking around.

I just looked at one of the web cams in NZ....you guys know your driving on the wrong side of the road??
    Last edited by msta999; 14-12-2008 at 12:11 PM.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I haven't made the move, but have been over a few times. Kiwis have a small town attitude in some ways, especially the friendly & open ways. They don't seem to like snooty people who wave their wealth about, which is just fine by me.

I found them to be overall more progressive socially. Consider NZ is the first country to have given women the vote, have had at least one female PM, and have had a transgendered MP and may still have a Rastafarian MP.

I wasn't in Nelson for long, but it has a relaxed feel. There is a fair bit of small scale produce farms in the area. I believe that fisheries and timber are also economic mainstays. I liked the area.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

selchie,
    thanks for taking the time to respond. Sounds like, what I read about Nelson is pretty close to how it is....about NZ for that matter.

Does anyone know if there are any stats on how many Americans are there? I donít know if the forums are a way to tell, but it sounds like there are quite a few people coming from the UK and the US.

Thanks again and this is at great site.

Matt

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this blog will be of any use to you. Seems they are from Colorado and have been in NZ since July 2006 and living in Nelson.

A few pages of events in Nelson to give you some idea of what goes on there.

Some background information on Nelson.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks again MotherBear,
    I have read a little, will start again tomorrow.

Your a real big help. Wish I could do the same for you.

mountainlake is offline Junior Member

My husband & I are moving to NZ in 9 days! We have PR and will be in Auckland. I hope to be able to pop into the forum every so often to tell you how it is. We are from Florida (my husband is originally from the Midwest though and doesn't really like Florida).

Quote Originally Posted by mountainlake View Post
    My husband & I are moving to NZ in 9 days! We have PR and will be in Auckland. I hope to be able to pop into the forum every so often to tell you how it is. We are from Florida (my husband is originally from the Midwest though and doesn't really like Florida).
    mountainlake,

hope your move to NZ goes good. "Yes"! Keep us updated on how it goes. This kind of information is helpful to the rest of us.

Stats_chick is offline Member

We are looking to move to CC at the end of this year (2009) and hope that NZers like Americans. We are used to country living and hope that we will feel relaxed there too. We live in Amish country now although I doubt any NZ towns are quite like that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast