Thread: More than 1 month post...

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default More than 1 month post...

I was late with my 1 week post so I thought I would follow suit and be late with my 1 month post. I thought the first 2 weeks were busy and that we had done most things but with starting work and moving onto our own house there are a lot more things to be done. I have now been at work for 4 weeks and apart from the really early starts (I have to get up at 4.50 on an early shift!!) I am coping well. I do feel a bit left out as I am at work & OH and the kids are at home together exploring things and just being together but I do get to come home to my dinner cooked for me and the house work, washing & ironing done. So there is a silver lining to it all!! Before we moved we had to get the telephone & internet sorted. I did some research online to try to find the best package but as we had unlimited internet in the UK it is difficult to know how much we will need. We have gone with almost the biggest package we could get within our budget but I think it will still be too small. The kids will have to rethink their internet usage. We arranged to have the furniture we had bought delivered the week before we moved in. The living room, dining room & bedroom furniture arrived but the fridge/freezer didn’t. After a few calls to Harvey Norman they managed to deliver it the next day (Thurs) even though they ‘only deliver to Oxford on Mon, Wed & Fri’. We also had sky installed (so OH & the boys could watch the football) and we had a new fence put up ready for the dogs. As it is a new house and OH has not got his tools we have arranged for someone to supply & fit new curtain rails & curtains but as these have to be made we are living in a goldfish bowl at the moment. Sleeping on an air mattress is no fun either – they do not keep you warm and it is not easy trying to climb from the floor when you are still half asleep. Still, our container should be here by the end of November so only another month to go!!!
    We are getting used to the shopping and where to go for food. Clothes’s shopping is an unknown yet – DD and I have to go shoe shopping next week so that should be fun. I have signed the boys up for school – Mark (nearly 17) won’t start until next February as he will start in yr 13 (a year above the UK) and yrs 12 &13 finish in about 2 weeks but my youngest starts yr 9 next week and will start yr 10 in Feb (the same as he would have been in the UK). We have had to go shopping for school uniform which wasn’t cheap – nearly$70 for a jumper!!!!!! But he will have 2 years wear out of it. Just glad the eldest doesn’t need to wear it. DD & OH are feeling a little homesick – DD especially and she is trying to find ways to save up the money to fly back next Easter to see her boyfriend. She has an interview for a job next week so fingers crossed for her and OH has an interview for a part time job tomorrow. Money is a little tight at the moment. Just living off my wages is not easy so I hope they get their jobs soon!! The dogs arrived safely – courtesy of Golden Arrow. GA rang the day they were due to remind us to collect them and again the following day to make sure they were ok. Picking them up from Chch airport was straight forward and the dogs – once they recognised us – were in fine form. We have still to find a really good place to take them for walks but we are working on it. Now we have the family together.
    We have had some good weather recently and the long drive home is stunning as I can see the Alps & hills in the distance as I approach Oxford – it really makes you feel good. I don’t feel settled here yet – I think once our container arrives and our cash flow is a little more liquid I will feel different. But I am staying positive for OH & the kids as they always seem to look to me for support & strength (stupid people!!).
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Another month on air mattresses - ugh. At least it's springtime, but still... Soon enough everything will fall into place, and this period will be but a memory. So glad to hear the pups arrived safe & sound.

How's the job, other than the early rising? BTW, does NZ require a 4 year nursing degree? My sister asks. So far she has a 2 year degree, but is close to a BSN.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Roll on having your container delivered . That's when you'll really feel at home with all your belongings around you. Looks like you're starting to get things slotted into place with schools, jobs etc. so it won't be long before you're properly settled and can look forward to enjoying your new life.

Good luck to Jen and Adrian with their job interviews. That should make a big difference all round, not only with earning but with making new friends and fitting into society.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    Another month on air mattresses - ugh. At least it's springtime, but still... Soon enough everything will fall into place, and this period will be but a memory. So glad to hear the pups arrived safe & sound.

How's the job, other than the early rising? BTW, does NZ require a 4 year nursing degree? My sister asks. So far she has a 2 year degree, but is close to a BSN.
    Not sure how about the degree - all I know is it has to be comparable to the NZ training and theirs is a 3 year degree.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Blog Entries

That might work for my sister. Apparently she lacks but a few courses for her four-year degree. She's thinking about entering a "visiting nurse" program in the states, and I mentioned the possibilities of going abroad.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Fab post ... good to hear that you're all OK, and settled into you new pad. Have you got an ETA for your container? It will seem very strange having so much around you, after living so frugally ... we hadn't seen our stuff for 8 months, and now wondering why we needed soooo much stuff!!

How are your neighbours? Our new place is the dead-ringer for Ramsay Street - but won't hi-jack your thread.

Keep us posted on your experiences - good to hear how you're getting on. Just sorry to hear that you don't feel too settled yet .... hope you do soon,

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou View Post
    Our new place is the dead-ringer for Ramsay Street - but won't hi-jack your thread.
    Oh do tell . The forum could do with some livening up.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

I'm curious too, especially since I don't know from Ramsay Street. Get a thread up, Lou, and fill us in on the gossip!

cradley is offline Member
    Blog Entries

sounds like every thing seems to sliding into place slowley but surely,hope you start to feel settled soon ,change takes time to digest i bet the kids are enjoying the long break from school.Did your dogs tavel the same time as you? and did they travel in the hold?

Regards,Cradley

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    I'm curious too, especially since I don't know from Ramsay Street.
    Ramsay Street is/was an Ozzy soap opera about (oddly enough ) the daily goings-on of the residents of Ramsay Street, Kylie Minogue being one of the original stars before she found fame as a singer. Also Jason Donovan, who starred alongside her, was famous as a singer for a while. Don't know what happened to him though. She went on to great heights and he disappeared into the mists of time.
    Mother Bear