Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currently, or thinking about, PhD or other postgraduate study in NZ?

migratingfishswim is offline Junior Member

Default Currently, or thinking about, PhD or other postgraduate study in NZ?

hi,

i want to start a PhD in NZ in jan 2010 and just wondering if there's anyone here who's in the same position, or already there doing one?

it'd be great to swap info, impressions, etc.

many thanks
    emigrating to new zealand blog
    http://migratingfishswim.blogspot.com/

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

Hi migratingfishswim

I know you posted this quite a while ago. It's been ages since I've looked at the forum. What's your area of interest? Where are you wanting to study?

I'm looking into doing postgraduate study in NZ just now. I have a BSc(Hons) degree from the UK and I'm struggling a bit with how the NZ universities view this. Because it was completed in 3 years as an undergraduate course, I THINK they want me to do an Honours year or Post Grad Diploma before I can get on to doing the Masters year.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I was hoping I could just go straight into doing the Masters year - especially as I have a first class honours? I can't seem to find any info about equivalency - and the NZQA appear to charge $450 to assess your qualifications. No thanks! Lots of the UK universities seem to list international equivalents, according to national guidelines, and they seem to view an NZ bachelor degree with honours as being the same as a UK BSc/BA (Hons).

Before I came over to NZ 2.5 years ago, I applied to Victoria University Wellington to do a masters in applied linguistics. I was accepted but they insisted that I do it in 2 years. I have not ended up doing this for one reason and another! Now I'm thinking about doing a masters in public health or social anthropology (!) and I'd like to study at the University of Auckland - but it would seem that again they are insisting that I do the masters over 2 years.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to persuade an NZ university that the UK BSc/BA (Hons) is equivalent to completing the 4th year honours/PGDip here in NZ?

THANKS!

hi,

i can't answer your question, but i have some suggestions:

google studyoptions and speak to them (they liaise between international students and uni's down under)

find someone who has international calls as part of their landline package (ask to borrow their phone - i'm a talktalk customer and i have free calls to NZ!) and phone the universities admissions people and ask them.

(it sounds a bit weird to me that an Hons degree wouldn't be recognised, there is generally good recognition of UK qualifications. but as a postgrad, i haven't looked into this at all.)

Rho
    Rho is offline Member

Smile

Hi there

I'm finally just starting my post grad studies at University of Auckland - but the system is very different and unfortunately not very flexible!

I have a first class honours degree (BSc Social Policy) from the UK which I completed 3 years ago and I too wanted to go straight to PhD. However I have to do the BA (Hons) - starting next month - very frustrating.

BUT - if you do this, they can sometimes fast forward you straight to PhD from this and not have to do a Masters. My Lecturer said this route is unusual and they recommend the Masters (not sure if thats just for the money or not) but you can then in theory go straight to PhD. Which is what I'm hoping for, as in the UK with my degree I could go straight to that level! So it would mean only 4 years instead of 5 and you can get used to their marking system - which is very different. They do seem to mark very high here - which seems strange as my university was really tough!!!

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions I'll try and help.

Can't wait to get back to study.
    Rho

Farzad is offline Member

Default I am in the same position

Hi there,

I am in the same position, I have got admission for PhD course in UoA and plan to start my study in October, 2009, but since I am still waiting for my visa I may start my study in Jan, 2010.
    Right now I have also applied for university accommodation suitable for a couple (The Park Road Student Flat), and really curious how is university accommodation for us.
    I am also looking for students in UoA who can share his experience with me.

hi all,

i sent paperwork to my intended uni in april.... and am still waiting to hear back, LOL. i know uni's are slow, but this is ridiculous!

i can't apply for a visa 'til i get the uni letter, so all the plans my boyfriend and i have for emigrating are just waiting...waiting...waiting....

good luck to everyone with their plans

Farzad is offline Member

Hi there

Actually, my partner has applied for a PhD from UoA and is waiting for her student visa now. We planned to move to NZ in September, but regarding delays in application procees we are still waiting in our home country!!!!
    So we have changed our plan and my partner may start her PhD in January or February!
    It will be our pleasure if we can share our information together.

Good luck Farzad.

My uni application has finally moved on by one stage. But the uni told me they don't have funding after all.

So... I am looking into working in NZ for a year and then studying. (Or maybe giving-up on the whole thing as the uni is driving me crazy!)

People Space is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by migratingfishswim View Post
    ...But the uni told me they don't have funding after all...
    That is so frustrating!

re: PhD and whether or not a Masters is required first, my brother was invited to do a PhD at Otago immediately upon completing his Hons there. I suspect whether the Masters is required depends not only on the grades achieved but also on the fact that you are coming from outside the university. I believe they had some shake up regarding people taking forever to do their PhD theses, so may have become more selective.

Quote Originally Posted by People Space View Post
    That is so frustrating!.
    yes, and no!

i have a great professional record and there's a beautiful coastal, art deco town with a mediterranean climate called napier, so I'm sending off my CV today.

i'm a great candidate and if the uni can't see it, it's really their loss. i'll either do a PhD later, or i'll choose a different path in my career, but i'm confident i'll get where i want to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast