Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip from Auckland to Napier

RisenAshes is offline Member

Default Road Trip from Auckland to Napier

Hi All

I'm making a trip to NZ for a few interviews in September, and one of my interviews in is Napier.

So, I was just wondering, is it better to rent a car and drive from Auckland to Napier, i.e. how is the road? etc. or is it better to take the bus?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No idea about the condition of the roads between Auckland and Napier and I hope someone can help out with that one. However, if you want to travel by bus you could try Naked Bus for cheap fares.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

The bus is an easy and cheap option. It would give you a chance to see some of NZ without much hassle. You can always rent a car back to Auckland if you want.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The road is good and it's a beautiful route down to Napier. I found roads in NZ much more well sign posted than in the UK and of course, you're not likely to hit much traffic You're not likely to get lost. Just be sensible and allow plenty of time for your journey. If you drive you can stop whenever you like as opposed to being on a bus when you have to fit in with an itinerary. I know a few people that have travelled by bus and regretted it. If you drive though, you might feel a little more tired on arrival. Don't know what your plans are but could you arrive arrive a day or so early? That'd give you a chance to have a little look around the place too.
    We loved Napier. We stopped there for a few days on our NZ road trip. If there had been work there for us we would have been tempted to stay. We thought it had a lovely feel. What kind of work do you do?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

I'm a teacher, and I have an interview at Taradale High. I feel that we should drive, cos it'll be more flexible. But my wife reckons we should take the bus, as we can then rest after out flight :(

Not sure now, cos it would be nice to stop somewhere and look around when we're in the car

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

So you're thinking of driving straight there after your flight?

Not a good idea matey.

Find somewhere to sleep first at least for that first night. We picked up our campervan straight from the airport and drove to a friends about 45 mins south of AKL. We had a cup of tea and were starving. Because we are 5 and didn't want to put on anyone for a meal we decided to drive out to the nearest McD's (anything would do after airplane food!). Within 15 mins Gary had fallen asleep at the wheel, swerving right across the road and into oncoming traffic. I grabbed the wheel and straightened up just in time. We stopped of course, and I took over the driving. It happened so quickly. I had literally been talking to him one minute, in full conversation and the next minute he'd gone. So, even if you think you're OK, beware.

I've been told similar stories by at least 4 other people since being here and most of the others didn't end so luckily. One wrote off the car they were driving and escaped with just scratches and bruises but another I know mounted the pavement and hit and killed a pedestrian. Another saw nothing of NZ for the first few weeks but the view from his hospital bed after failing to notice the car in front had stopped.

So, be careful buddy. It sneaks up on you quickly and quietly. If there are two of you, you could share the driving but I'd seriously consider giving yourself a few days to get over the flight.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

So if we land at 20.30 on Thursday, and leave the next morning, we should be ok? Is jetlag a concern? I know its bad when flying west, but is it just as bad when flying east?

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Jetlag? I think so. You will have been on the plane a long time. Even if you slept on the plane you will be tired but the adrenaline will be flowing from the excitement. This is a formula for trouble if you are going to go for a long drive as your reactions will be delayed.

Yes an overnight sleep would be a good idea. Get out of Auckland early to miss the morning traffic if you are going to drive yourself.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

DizzyF is offline Member

Would recommend driving if you had more time to get over journey. It is nice to have the freedom to stop off and see places along the way.

My only cautions would be jetlag and also that we got our windscreen chipped as you do go past quite a few logging rucks that can throw loose stones at you!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The bus is an easy and cheap option. It would give you a chance to see some of NZ without much hassle. You can always rent a car back to Auckland if you want.
    Or you could have it both ways. As Cliff says, bus it down while you're still feeling a bit groggy from the flight and hire a car to drive back when you're feeling fresher, if that's a possibility. By then you will have your interview out of the way and your mind should be free to enjoy the sights along the way. Going there by bus will allow you the freedom to see everything that is passing as you won't have to keep your eyes on the road. You could make mental notes of what you would like to stop off and explore on the way back.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast