Thread: Experiencing life in NZ.

uniflyboy is offline Member
    Campbelltown near Sydney abou to move to Hamilton NZ

Default Experiencing life in NZ.

I found that Kiwies are extremely kind and surely love a chat. The prices are very high and I must say I feel sorry for the people. The reason is that there is no competition. For some reason Kiwi business people hate competition and as they can avoid competition the country remains expensive and innovation is unknown.

We were amazed when we tried to get someone to fix our washing machine. "No, I don't travel that far" (15 km), "Ok, I'll come some time next week..., Even in shops the assistants talk and ignore the customer for quite some time.

Mind you, when we were served by someone of Asian extraction we got extremely good service. Hmmm, have Kiwies lead in their pants (be a little "lazy")?

We met a lot of English. New Zealand seems to be the little UK. Unfortunately (for us) the food in the shops are very English (boring) as well. Sorry, I don't want to insult anyone but so far every "Pom" I met outside England started to very much enjoy food (haha)

I met two shop keepers of Indian extraction. As expected they were extremely rude and one tried to cheat us by firstly charging us for something we did not buy and then they tried to give us too little change making a lot of trouble when caught. No different to Australia (and Moombai) really.

Kiwies seem to be extremely honest. It is great to have them around. I am glad too to have a "Pommy" neighbour. We already started to destroy a few bottles together. I think it will eb a great life here.

Cheers
    Mike

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uniflyboy View Post
    We were amazed when we tried to get someone to fix our washing machine. "No, I don't travel that far" (15 km), "Ok, I'll come some time next week..., Even in shops the assistants talk and ignore the customer for quite some time.

Mind you, when we were served by someone of Asian extraction we got extremely good service.

I met two shop keepers of Indian extraction. As expected they were extremely rude and one tried to cheat us by firstly charging us for something we did not buy and then they tried to give us too little change making a lot of trouble when caught. No different to Australia (and Moombai) really.
    You could be talking about Oman. It's exactly the same here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SNataliaH is offline Junior Member

I HATE being hassled when I'm trying to shop. If the staff are too 'attentive' when I enter a store, I turn around and walk out.

Years of living in Asia (India and North East Asia) mean that having staff following me around the shop trying to sell me things make me want to commit an act (or two) or violence!! If I want help I'll ask for it - just PLEASE leave me alone!!

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by SNataliaH View Post
    I HATE being hassled when I'm trying to shop. If the staff are too 'attentive' when I enter a store, I turn around and walk out.
    I don't think I've been 'shop stalked' more than once or twice in NZ.
    In my experience, most retail staff say 'Hi' and seem pleased to see people in their shops. A lot will have a yarn for the sake of a yarn rather than trying to hassle you into a purchase. Of course, there are always those staff who see you as an inconvenient interuption, but hey, at least they leave you alone to browse

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Well, I must be the odd one out then because shop staff in Hamilton really, I mean really, freak me out. They're on you as soon as you walk in, 'Hi, how's your day? What are you doing today? What are you doing tomorrow? What are you doing at the weekend? What are you doing next weekend? What colour are your knickers? Where'd you get your hair cut? Have you shaved your bikini line?' You know, off the cuff questions like that Then, if you dare venture as far as the changing room, it may as well be a communal gathering space. They pull open the curtain unannounced and uninvited, walk in whilst your unclothed and standing in your scanties, to give their opinion on your proposed purchase. Start touching you and pulling garments around on your body as if you're some kind of mannequin that has no nerve endings and so can't feel a strangers hand running over your body and INVADING YOUR PERSONAL SPACE NAFF OFF and leave me alone to do my own shopping in my own time. If I want your help I'll ask for it and if you touch me again, so help me God, I will push these garments so far into certain orifices you will need the end of a coat-hanger and the aid of several colleagues to remove them

I like to do my shopping in peace. If you invade my space I will not buy anythig froom you. EVER, just on principal. The best way to get my cash is to leave me to choose where I spend it.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default ha ha

Dawn, sounds like you need some wine or alcoholic beverage

Believe me until you have visited countries like China and Vietnam and had fun turning heal quickly into attached shop assistants you aint lived...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by macfod View Post
    Dawn, sounds like you need some wine or alcoholic beverage

Believe me until you have visited countries like China and Vietnam and had fun turning heal quickly into attached shop assistants you aint lived...

You could be right, I haven't had any wine now for 2 and a half weeks!!! A conscious decision it has to be said.

So glad I am not likely to visit China or Vietnam as I would probably be deported for assaulting a national. I just can't abide personal intrusion. Smile and say 'hi' fair enough, but anything beyond that I feel is up to me to volunteer. I don't want it squeezed from me. I always make it quite clear that I don't want to immerse myself in conversation. They tend to get the picture quickly. I bet they call me names when I've gone Oh well, gives them something to do eh?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Are you complaining again, Dawn?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Are you complaining again, Dawn?
    Tis my whinging pom nature Taf! Whip me - please! Cleanse me of my sins

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Whip me - please!
    And just what makes you think Taff HAS a whip to whip you with?