Thread: pricing going mad!

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default pricing going mad!

Whats happening on food pricing isnt encouraging and I feel there is some profiteering going on down in the south island.
    I am fed up with all prices going up wholesale.
    Would mind a few percentages...but the latest on vegan pastry is 29%!!!

add this to a long list of others soon to hit the general public and its all still on the up...
    I have held pricing down on most for twelve months but now they must all start to be hiked up hitting locals again!

Thats the problem when there isnt competition ..the odd few multiples have the market to themselves and consumer in their grip...

...my god..I would never have commented on the price of carrots two years ago... time for some warm sun in HOTTER climes for a few weeks as I'm sounding like a shop keeper....

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by macfod View Post
    I am fed up with all prices going up wholesale.
    It's the same here, Mark. It's gone crazy over the last couple of years. I hate doing the food shopping now because the bills frighten me. At least it won't be too much of a shock when I finally get down to NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    At least it won't be too much of a shock when I finally get down to NZ.
    Don't bank on it

Blog Entries

Our food bill alone has tripled in the 4 years we've been here, so I don't know if that's been keeping pace with the cost of living in NZ. And rents.... don't even mention them .

I expect we'll get a taste of NZ prices when we come down early next year for a visit, but I hope they don't put us off immigrating. At least, currently living in a country that is expensive goes some way to preparing us for the move.
    Mother Bear

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

I really think it happening all over the world!

Our shopping bill is now hitting 120 - 140 a week!
    It used to only be 90!! I dont buy anything extravagent, and i buy meat and cleaning materials from Costco in bulk! SO i cant even blame that!

I have family in South Africa and they are reporting the same. Their food was relatively cheap compared to the UK but thesedays its almost the same, and their wages are less than ours.

I think its a case of tightening belts and only buying what you need. Although when u have kids thats not easy! haha

xx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

kokopeli is offline God like figure

You can bet your bottom dollar that someone is raking it in. See this in The Times

I reckon the time has come to dig up some of my lawn and plant some veggies. I may even do a Gordon Ramsey and get a few turkeys and sheep. Baaaaaaaa.

uniflyboy is offline Member
    Campbelltown near Sydney abou to move to Hamilton NZ

Default pricing going mad

The problem is global.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Woolworths' NZ sales up 11 per cent as food prices rise
    2:15PM Wednesday July 16, 2008

High food prices may be helping supermarket operators.

Australia's Woolworths, the second largest supermarket operator in New Zealand, today reported sales here increased by 10.6 per cent in the June quarter, although only 2.2 per cent when normalised and an extra week's trading is excluded.

Comparable sales rose 3.5 per cent, which Woolworths said reflected tighter macroeconomic conditions and a decline in the growth of the overall market.

The company reports profits next month.

Yesterday, Statistics New Zealand reported food prices in the year to June leapt 8.2 per cent, the highest rise in 18 years.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

On a similar vein......

Calls for help as food prices soar to record
    Family staples drive inflation
    By REBECCA PALMER - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Annual food price rises have reached an 18-year high, bringing more calls to help struggling families.

Statistics New Zealand's latest food price index figures show a rise of 8.2 per cent in the year to June - the highest annual increase since June 1990, when a rise of 10 per cent was recorded after a GST increase the previous July.

In the past year, the grocery food group made the biggest contribution to higher prices, with dairy once again the main culprit.

Cheddar cheese (up 61.9 per cent), fresh milk (up 22 per cent), butter (86.6 per cent) and bread (15.2 per cent) were the main drivers.

The consumer price index also had its biggest quarterly rise in 18 years, fuelled by food and petrol prices. It jumped a higher-than-expected 1.6 per cent in the June quarter.

Inflation hit 4 per cent in the June year and may reach 5 per cent later this year. Most economists now believe Reserve Bank governor Alan Bollard should begin cutting interest rates as early as next week, but say it is a "line-ball call" .

The latest figures prompted renewed calls for the Government to help struggling families.

The Green Party said the Government should increase benefit levels and extend the in-work tax credit available through the Working For Families scheme to beneficiary families.

"It's terrible that children are going hungry in a food-producing country like New Zealand," social development spokeswoman Sue Bradford said.

Federation of Family Budgeting Services chief executive Raewyn Fox said the rising price of milk was a particular concern because it was such a staple for families.

Tony Carter, managing director of Foodstuffs New Zealand, which runs New World and Pak'n Save, said the company had noticed shoppers were opting for more budget brands.

They had also been "trading down" on sizes - for instance, choosing smaller blocks of cheese.

Butter sales had declined and people were opting for cheaper alternatives, such as margarine.

He said the New Zealand dollar would influence any future price increases.

"If the dollar stays where it is, then maybe the worst is over."

The most significant drops in the food price index were for tomatoes - which were 25.1 per cent cheaper than in June last year - and avocados, down 54.2 per cent.

But fruit and vegetable prices increased by 8.7 per cent overall, with lettuce, potatoes and broccoli the biggest drivers.

Poultry, bacon and minced beef all climbed in price and meat prices rose by 4.4 per cent overall. But ham and sausages were cheaper than a year ago.

Junk food offered little consolation. The cost of a box of chocolates rose 9.8 per cent between May and June, while icecream was up 2 per cent. And potato chips climbed 15.7 per cent during the year.

From here.
    Mother Bear

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I find it difficult to believe that inflation has only gone up to 4%. I'm not a statistician, but surely the high increases in the price of fuel, meat, veggies, crisps, cheese, milk and bread would have to be offset by sizeable price reductions in the price of something else to produce such a low overall rise? OK, tomatoes and avocados are cheaper, but come on.....