Thread: Sightseeing with a dog?

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Question Sightseeing with a dog?

Our plans are coming together (how many times have I said that recently?)

Anyway, we are aware that dogs aren't quite so accepted in New Zealand as they are in the UK. Trouble is, our golden retriever has to come with us as we have to get her from A to C, and we'd like to see a few bits of New Zealand en-route.

So .. what can we do / see in :

Rotorua
    Taupo
    Porrirua
    Wellington

with our dog, and 2 monkeys (AKA kids) ?
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Lou,

Where are you itending to stay while travelling? Some campsites rent out cabins and will let you in with a dog. Other campsites are dog-free-zones. Not sure about motels or motor inns though. The New Zealand Motor Caravan Association publishes a travel guide for members that lists camping grounds and holiday parks and shows whether dogs are allowed. I could let you have last a peek if you ask nicely.....

Dogs aren't allowed on a lot of DOC land, even if they're on a lead, so you might not be able to do much tramping.

Of course, what you really need is for one of the other forum members to offer to house your dogs while you have fun. I'm sure there's someone vair vair nice with two great big hairy hounds who might help.

Blog Entries

We aren't buying a campervan now .. can't find one BIG enough for us all, a dog, vast amounts of luggage without spending a fortune.

I have found loads of holiday let websites, where you can specifically search for properties that allow dogs, and have found loads. That's sleeping sussed (albeit not yet booked).

It's really the touristy things I'm researching now .. we're going to travel through the North Island quite quickly, as priority is a job ... and our number 1 choice is Christchurch so heading there. I'd like to pick 1 or 2 things at each stop to see / do etc.

Stop 1 is Rotorua and Lake Taupo ... most of the reserves are off limits to dogs, although there is a walk around Blue Lake we can do and that's my lot so far

Just as well Jon likes being "organised" isn't it? Or at least, I think he does
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

catt is offline Member

Default walking the dog

Not sure they let dogs in but if you want to see some good geo thermal activity and get a long walk and a boat trip i would recommend:

Waimangu Volcanic & Thermal Valley - Rotorua

contact them and they will advise.

molly is offline Member

I shouldn't probably write this here in public, but we take our two beagles tramping, even if it is not allowed. We keep them on the lead all the times and pick up what they leave behind. So far, we never had problems.

Sightseeing:
    Rotorua: Wai-o-tapu or/and Waimangu (they won't allow you to take your dog in though)
    Taupo/Rotorua: Volcanos (there are many nice walks in the area)
    Hidden Valley (Orakei Korako - no dogs)
    Taupo: Mt Tarawera
    Porirua: nothing (maybe the Mongrel Mob)
    Wellington: Te Papa museum, botanical garden (with cabel car), Cuba street, Lambton Quay (no dogs allowed in the city centre), a walk on Oriental Bay. Drive around the peninsula where the Airport is located.

If you drive down to CHC, I would make a stop in Kaikoura too. Maybe do whale watching or swimming with dolphins, but there is also a lovely walk where you can see seals close-up.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Dogs aren't allowed on a lot of DOC land, even if they're on a lead, so you might not be able to do much tramping.

Of course, what you really need is for one of the other forum members to offer to house your dogs while you have fun. I'm sure there's someone vair vair nice with two great big hairy hounds who might help.
    We have found this to be to true We used to walk hours with our two but alas, not here and you definitely won't get her into the touristy places, off limits I'm afraid, and most town centres are dog free zones also. This must be one of the reasons Kiwis can walk around most places in bare feet eh? Not like shocking England

Koko I have offered several times but Lou has kept schtumm so I guess my dog sitting services are not required. I wouldn't really sit on her dog obviously. We left our two with friends whilst we toured for a month and, quite frankly, as much as we love having them, we enjoyed the freedom of not having to consider them all the time. It was one less thing to have to think about, well two things actually I also know another small Welsh-type person who is vair vair keen for a dogster.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Blog Entries

Dawn .. I have you offer firmly noted don't you worry .... and it's looking highly likely that we may take you up on it!

I'm just very concious that Willow will have had a few days in kennels, put on a plane for 24hours, so I was hoping to spend some time with her and the kids, to give her a little reassurance and "normality".

We're going to have her in Auckland with us, but think we might like to drop her off for a play with Hugo and Daisy whilst we have a mosey at Rototua for a few days?

Lou
    x
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Yep, I completely get where you're coming from re the normality thing but listen and remember this - (sorry don't mean to sound like all-knowing being here) - as soppy humans we tend to doff our poochy and canine and probably equine friends and all others that end in 'ine' that I can't think of with human attributes. Dogs don't know they've been on a plane for 36 hours and have arrived on the other side of the world, they know their routine has changed and they miss you that's all. After several hours it makes no difference how much longer it is, I never realised that. For a dog, after you've been away for 24 hours, it never seems any longer, they don't measure time the way that we do, that's what I've been told anyway. Now, everytime we called in at our friends where we had left them, the fact that Daisy was always sat by the gate trying to recognise each car that went past made me question that fact, and that Hugo was running round a paddock with six bitches in tow and refusing to get excited at the sight of us made me label him 'traitor' . Never the less, it's those human traits we import on them, because it makes it easier for us to understand and to rationalise our emotions.

Willow will have a whale of a time and I promise not to sit on her (although I can't vouch for Daisy, she may not appreciate the competition )
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land