Thread: Citizenship processing times

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Citizenship processing times

Was just chatting to a neighbour who's been in NZ for 5 years, and he mentioned he's applied for citizenship.

Unfortunately it's taken 8 months already, which is quite a bit longer than I was hoping (I'm still 2 years off from being able to apply).

He went on holiday to visit home (UK) last year, and they (DIA) asked him about each and every town he visited. Seems a bit much, even if they want to see if you are going to be a 'dedicated Kiwi for the rest of your life'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Department of Internal Affairs (0800 22 51 51 or +64 4 474 8123) are who handles citizenship applications, not immigration. After being a permanent resident for 5 years you can apply to be a citizen.

To be eligible you have to be in the country for 9 of 12 months each year, the anniversary date of your PR is the beginning/end of each of your 'years'.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamesthecarman View Post
    He went on holiday to visit home (UK) last year, and they (DIA) asked him about each and every town he visited. Seems a bit much, even if they want to see if you are going to be a 'dedicated Kiwi for the rest of your life'.
    Very odd. How would they know if you lied or not? It's almost like they're tracking him but to what end? I could imagine it maybe if he came from a dodgy country but not the UK.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Sounds like something possibly doesn't look look right. The citizenship ceremony is held locally where he lives. They may not hold a ceremony very often if he lives in a small place.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

So they've upped it to five years, then? I'd heard of the discussions, but not the conclusion.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

No needs to worry about this. This was under the old 3 year's and you can apply for citizenship (April 2005 was the switch).

The current 5 years of residency is a piece of cake. They say 6 months, but in reality, that's the longest possible. For me:

Application to Acceptance letter: 10 business days (might have been more like 8)
    Acceptance to Ceremony: 2 months
    Passport application to getting Passport: 4 or 5 business days (quoted at 10)

My sources say it's because everything is starting to be done on computer, and the paper piles aren't so large now. Gotta love technology!

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default 5 plus years

So, acording to the website.
    After holding a PR for Residency for a minimum of five years years you can apply.
    But, it took us two and half years to get our PR, so that means we will have lived in NZ for seven and half years.....

wow, a long wait.

PaulOlave is offline Junior Member

My sources say it's because everything is starting to be done on computer, and the paper piles aren't so large now. Gotta love technology!

---------------------------------
    New Star Rising for TV shows ---Desperate Housewives Season 8 DVD,Seize the present, Seize it!

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Hello all.

Its me...Pulsarblu...

I have been on the email list of forum posts all the while and I have not reply for ages ages....

This particular post caught my interest and here I would like to comment.

We moved to NZ in Aug 2006 and my wife came over in Feb 2007. We got our citizenship in 2012 Feb. So that means 5 years from the date my wife arrives, on a permanent resident visa. DIA is pretty strict with this requirement and it is detailed clearly on their website and also include a "calculator" that you can input dates and see if you are eligible for citizenship.

The actual application took little more than a month and the waiting part is for the citizenship presentation ceremony. I had mine in Wellington and that took about 2 months to wait.

Hope this helps..