Thread: Can we cope financially?

magpie is offline Junior Member

Default Can we cope financially?

This is my 1st post so bear with me.

DH and i are planning to move to NZ DH is a teacher, teaching college students, I however have no official qualifications i am currently a SAHM I look after my children 3 and 6 months.

Well my question is thou my husband and i are wondering if we could cope financially with just his wage.

Those of you from the uk will know they now pay tax credits to families and i have to be honest this has enabled me to stay at home and look after my children full time, we dont have any other beneifts so are no strangers to having to watch our pennies, so we are wondering if there are other families that do the same or is it not possible?

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi again.

I am similar to you with 2 young kids- 4 and 2. I was a stay at home mum in the UK (not much help from tax credits but OH had decent job and we had very small mortgae). we have been in NZ 8 weeks now and hoping on a formal job offer for OH next week, i will still be a stay at home mum until the youngest starts school in about 2 and a half years.I'm hoping to use the time to do some studying so I can start on a carreer when both kids are at school.

Not sure what wage teachers earn here but my OH is in IT and will be looking at a good wage of about $90 and pretty sure we can manage on that.

Will also depend on your lifestyle but there is a lot more to do here in NZ that doesn't cost money (not like UK where everything seems to cost).

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

magpie is offline Junior Member

I am hoping to do some studying myself if i can, as i was planning to here in the uk anyway.

I am really glad that its doable thou i can let the husband know now i am very excited, and sooooo happy that my kids may get to grow up in a beautiful country

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm a SAHM too, and I'll be in NZ in about 6 weeks, we'll be on one wage too, so I'm not too sure really how that going to go, but we'll adjust our budget accordingly. I'm also hoping to do some studying before I go back to work, my littles ones are 3 and 2 so I've got a little while before going back part time....but have no idea what I want to study.

Sorry I'm not much help in survival on one wage - so this is just a message really to welcome you to the forum and let you know that there are a few of us that are going to be in a similar situation.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Gina
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

My advice would be to start off slowly and cautiously with your spending. Some make the mistake of rushing out and buying up a storm when they first arrive in NZ. Everything is new and exciting and you feel you want to have the best start possible, but that can sometimes lead to difficulties when the money runs out faster than it's coming in. Test the waters first and see how you're going, then you can edge forward when you know how well you're coping. It'll give you time to get used to the cost of living and what you can and can't afford.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.