Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for wanting a new life in NZ?

MarkE is offline Junior Member

Default Reasons for wanting a new life in NZ?

Hi,

I'm just wondering what are people's reasons for wanting to move to NZ? Is it the pull of NZ, the way of life and the great outdoors, or it more personal eg. perhaps to get away from family, to leave behind a past history, wanting a completely fresh new start in life, or perhaps for career reasons?

I ask, probably because I'm trying to examine my motives for moving to NZ... and I want to make sure my motives are right.

If you've moved and settled, in retrospect, do your initial motives for leaving match up with how you feel now, ie do you still feel that you still left for those initial reasons or have new reasons appeared that you weren't aware of, eg perhaps you initially moved for the lifestyle and not for your career, but once you moved you realised you were stuck in a rut workwise and didn't realise it, but this could have subconsciously contributed to you wanting to move? I hope that makes sense!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Some of our reasons for choosing NZ are as follows:

We have family living there (which gave us the idea in the first place).

Low population, which we find attractive after living in countries with burgeoning populations, which makes for very crowded shops and roads and the knock-on effect is that people get angry and frustrated. We're looking forward to having more space to ourselves and a less hectic lifestyle where everyone is rushing around going nowhere.

It's 'foreign' without being too different.

They speak the same language (well.....most of the time ).

Generally the kiwis are a friendly and helpful bunch who are willing to interact with us - a refreshing change from snooty, arrogant Arabs (mainly the women, especially those in public service) who wish we'd just go away and leave them to concentrate on loftier things like doing their makeup and filing their nails. You don't know the meaning of 'unhelpful' until you're forced to deal with them. I would also mention that some of the Brits here are very cliquey and don't put themselves out to be friendly. Many a time I've smiled at someone and been met with a frosty look (if I got any look at all, that is). I thoroughly enjoyed being hailed by kiwis I'd never seen before - a friendly wave and an enquiry after my well-being was appreciated and often lead to a bit of welcome conversation.

We've heard about the scenery and improved weather, but still have to experience those for ourselves. Something we're really looking forward to.

The feeling of 'being home' that we've felt on the two occasions we've visited NZ. We blended into NZ like slipping into a pair of comfy slippers. We've had the feeling, like a lot of others, after staying in some dreamy holiday resort, that we'd love to live there but, at the back of our minds, we know the feeling would pall and we'd want to move on. 'Glamorous' is great for a while but the novelty wears off when reality takes over. I think NZ is more down-to-earth and we felt that it was workable and normal and we could easily settle there.

I'm sure there are other things I've overlooked but I'll post them later if they come to mind.

The one thing I'm not happy with is the growing drink/drugs problem. That does make me very sad and worried as it's so negative and destructive and other innocent people bear the brunt of the consequences.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Well,

Some of our motives are similar to Motherbear.
    Really we want to move to NZ for a variety of reasons -

1. To start a new life
    2. To get away from the hectic life we have here in the UK
    3. To make a better life for our children
    4. So we can actually enjoy our outdoor activities.
    5. Chill out, enjoy life and meet new friends.
    6. To get more space and some peace and quiet!

Myself and my OH dont really have anything left in the UK. We never really see many relatives and all our friends are too busy with thier own lives that its hard to organise social events. I think thats the reason my phone bills are so high... we speak to everyone on the phone, instead of visiting!

We work really hard and spend most of our time indoors (due to glasgows rubbish weather), even though we love outdoor activities.

But we are most certainly not wanting to move for money! Its definatly more of a lifestyle thing for us

Cant think of anything else just now!! lol

But what about everyone else???

Caz xxx

@ Motherbear... I cant believe brits snub you! Thats not good... well i defo wouldnt lol I'm too friendly... i'll speak to anyone hehe
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    @ Motherbear... I cant believe brits snub you! Thats not good... well i defo wouldnt lol I'm too friendly... i'll speak to anyone hehe
    It's just one of those 'expat' things, I'm afraid. A lot of people out here work for certain big companies, like Shell, and have worked together previously in other countries, so immediately they have a ready-made circle of friends when they move on to the next posting. If you don't have kids at school, don't play golf, don't belong to one of the other sporty groups or do amateur dramatics, you're excluded because folks with similar hobbies and interests obviously stick together. This is fine and doesn't bother me at all, but I do feel a bit put out when I've made an effort to smile or start a little friendly conversation over the cold meats in the chilled cabinet in the supermarket and I've met with a blank look. It's probably down to the 'I've already got enough friends and don't need any more' syndrome where people are involved in their own little world and forget that there are other people outside it.

Not all are like this but it is noticeable how many are. A cheery smile and breezy 'Hello' can lift your spirits so there's no harm in trying to master the technique. We felt that the kiwis HAVE mastered it and put it to good use. I enjoyed going shopping in NZ because it often turned into a social event with shop assistants chatting to us like old friends and other shoppers putting their penny's worth in.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    It's just one of those 'expat' things, I'm afraid. A lot of people out here work for certain big companies, like Shell, and have worked together previously in other countries, so immediately they have a ready-made circle of friends when they move on to the next posting. If you don't have kids at school, don't play golf, don't belong to one of the other sporty groups or do amateur dramatics, you're excluded because folks with similar hobbies and interests obviously stick together. This is fine and doesn't bother me at all, but I do feel a bit put out when I've made an effort to smile or start a little friendly conversation over the cold meats in the chilled cabinet in the supermarket and I've met with a blank look. It's probably down to the 'I've already got enough friends and don't need any more' syndrome where people are involved in their own little world and forget that there are other people outside it.

Not all are like this but it is noticeable how many are. A cheery smile and breezy 'Hello' can lift your spirits so there's no harm in trying to master the technique. We felt that the kiwis HAVE mastered it and put it to good use. I enjoyed going shopping in NZ because it often turned into a social event with shop assistants chatting to us like old friends and other shoppers putting their penny's worth in.
    Hmmm Strange... So now i understand why my aunt is like that.... lol (she can be really ignorant at times)
    She lived in NZ for 18 years, and when she moved to Australia she didnt like it.

Well i'm a bit like u then, just really want people to say "hello" back!

I have heard that the kiwis are really friendly so thats good

Maybe thats another reason i want to go... nice friendly people, not ones who run you over with their trolley lol

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    ..........nice friendly people, not ones who run you over with their trolley lol
    Don't go to Pak 'N' Save then

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Don't go to Pak 'N' Save then
    hahahah yeah i heard that place was a bit crazy... isnt woolworths supposed to be better? But more expensive?

Hmm so its a choice - cheap shopping, but i get trolleys rammed into your ankles, and get frowned at.. or expensive shopping thats more like an afternoon stroll! hahahah

xxx

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi
    Our reasons were hubby lost work in building trade due to Polish migrants.Its true,he got told theres no work left,and following day 2 Poles are doing his job.I was angry and bitter to start with,not so much at the Poles,but the employer.but see now i see it as im glad,he gave us the nudge to do what we done
    Worried sick when kids are out(one of them is still there in Glasgow,and i still worry)
    The drugs problems and knife attacks
    Secetariasm<probably wrong spelling,sorry,but religion probs> lol
    We love camping and heard of all the lovely camping places,and they are brilliant,the ones we seen so far.
    Snow,i love it and you never got enough in Glasgow
    Sun,love that too,again hardly saw it in Glasgow,Hubby got sunburn for the first time in his life,here
    And yip the Kiwis are lovely.Standing at school now is so cool,people just smiling and talking to you,though they get a wee surprise when they hear the Glaswegian accent
    I used to dread taking my son to school in Glasgow as the parents all huddled together puffing away and shouting
    Yip all my reasons and i dont regret any of them
    Even the shops i like better as i cant stand busy shops,i like to dash in and out.Though cant stand 'pak n save' Its always busy when i go
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

molly is offline Member

Good question!

We came here because we wanted a change in lifestyle. To be honest, we didn't really know what that means. We were touring NZ and on our last day we stumbled over a job add that perfectly fit my husband's profile. More as a joke he ringed, got a job interview the same day (had to fly from CHC to AKL and back) and then we didn't hear anything for three months. We were already back in Switzerland working like crazy again and then we received an email with a job offer. It took us less than a minute to decide. We packed up everything, got married and off we went. We lived in Auckland first (which was a nightmare really) and then moved down to the lovely Kapiti Coast.

To put it in a nutshell. NZ appealed to us because:

1. perceived laid-back lifestyle
    2. great outdoors
    3. green and clean
    4. lot's of business opportunities
    5. "something new"

Looking back from where we are now I must say that in my whole life I have never worked more that I do right now (we are currently building up our own business).

NZ is indeed a beautiful country and we enjoy all the outdoor activities enormously. Especially the fact that "our" beach is just a few meters away and it is always empty. During summer, when it is really (annoyingly) crowded, then you meet about 5 people in one hour...

Most disappointingly for us was to discover that NZ is not at all green and clean, quite the contrary. This - together with the way this country is governed - was almost a reason to move back to Switzerland. This government is (in my opinion) a nightmare.

There are (were) a lot of business opportunities here in NZ. But the economy is really low at the moment and many business struggle! We don't anticipate a change in the near future. Australia has a very strong economy and therefor we found most business opportunities in Oz, which means that we live in NZ and work 80% in Australia.

Did NZ live up to our expectations? No. Are we happy here? Yes, very much. But we are not more/less happy as we would be in Switzerland. Happiness for me mostly depends on the relationship I am in and the social network I have. Would I do it again? Yes! Will we stay here? I don't know. That depends on how quickly we can make our business independent of us. Also, we don't have kids and are free to move around and there is really still a lot to see...

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Hi
    Our reasons were hubby lost work in building trade due to Polish migrants.Its true,he got told theres no work left,and following day 2 Poles are doing his job.I was angry and bitter to start with,not so much at the Poles,but the employer.but see now i see it as im glad,he gave us the nudge to do what we done

The drugs problems and knife attacks

Secetariasm<probably wrong spelling,sorry,but religion probs> lol

Snow,i love it and you never got enough in Glasgow

Sun,love that too,again hardly saw it in Glasgow
    I used to dread taking my son to school in Glasgow as the parents all huddled together puffing away and shouting
    hahaha

I soooo know what you mean with all of these.. our building trades are all polish now, and especially in our area!!! But i think that its a disgrace that your hubby got the sack for others to take his job... probably cos they have to pay them less!!!

The drink and drugs problem is getting worse all over, especially if u are anywhere near Glasgow city centre at night... and like u say, knife crime... its awful!

Yup i agree too... No snow and no SUN!!!! I think the pollution in Glasgow makes it grey all the time hehe

And the school thing - Dont get me started on that one lol I see that everyday.. all the parents standing at the school gates huddled together like penguins, with their dogs, smoking like mad and all screaming and shouting at their kids - NOT GOOD!!!

SO.... i really dont think NZ can be any worse than Glasgow... its becoming a rubbish dump!

Caz xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast