Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is NZ for us?

MarkE is offline Junior Member

Default Is NZ for us?

Hi,

I'm sure you get questions like this all the time, so I apologise in advance.

I've more or less been offered a job in Auckland (North Shore City) with a salary to be confirmed, but probably ranging from 60 to 74 NZ dollars with the company paying for, and assisting with, immigration/relocation etc. It kind of happened unexpectedly and we're both really keen for a new life in NZ, but now it seems like it could actually happen - it all seems incredibly daunting.

We both love the outdoors (particularly walking and fell-walking) and I'm a keen rock climber. I guess what I'm trying to find out is:

a) Can we live comfortably on one salary (we're not money-orientated, but don't want to more worse off than we are in the UK - if at all possible. Although we do acknowledge that Auckland is an expensive place to live and that we probably will be skint). We're hoping to rent in the short-term and buy long-term whilst keeping our house in the UK.
    b) At the moment, we live near mountains, lakes and the seaside. Living in Auckland (North Shore), how easy is it to get into the countryside for walks, climbing etc?. Alternatively, how easy is it to live in a rural (preferably cheaper location) and commute into North Shore City? I should also point out that after a certain amount of time - I may be able to be 100% home-based so we could move to a different location in NZ after a year or two, but would have to be Auckland-based for a while.

I love the mountains and don't want them to be too far away...

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I don't know what the average cost of living is like in Auks, or how commuting would be. From what you describe of the situation, I'd recommend seriously considering accepting the job offer. Do a bit of research into the factors of concern.

When we visited Auks, we found many open spaces in town - the Domain, Mount Eden, etc. I'm not sure about nearby climbing areas, but that shouldn't be too difficult to discover.

Best of luck!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi Mark,

Firstly welcome to the forum The wage you've mentioned is fairly reasonable for a NZ wage, although living in Aucks, from what I've heard, is significantly more expensive than living elsewhere in NZ, when it comes to housing, etc. Having said that, surviving on that sort of money without kids (I'm assuming you don't have any as you didn't mention them, apologies if you do!), is perfectly doable. Depending on rent/mortgage, etc, you'd probably have a bit to spare each month for treating yourselves.

As you are the outdoorsy type, you'll also probably be glad to hear that a lot of the activities in NZ are free I'm not too sure about the Auckland area as to what specifically is available to you, but selchie has mentioned a few for a start!

To be honest, if the company who have offered you the job have offered to assist with relocation costs, etc, and moving to NZ is something you truly want to do, I'd go for it. Have you visited the NZ Immigration website or filled out a points indicator? Best to check - don't want you to arrive in NZ and start your dream life, only to find out you can't stay!

Good luck anyway, hope you can stick around on the forum. Oh, and no apologies necessary for your question - if it matters to you, it matters to us

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Don't really know anything about Auckland but just wanted to welcome you n board.

Welcome.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi Mark!!

re your wages, I guess this one depends where you will end up living.
    But you will find that wages in NZ are generally not that good and people put more value on other things. But it certainly is a good offer

I actually dont really like living in the city, I believe that living in aucks is an absolute waste when you are in a country like NZ, but my partner and I leave the city to go to the coromandel, northland or somewhere else almost every weekend and we are absolutely loving it!

I m not sure about the rock climbing, but driving up north there are soooooooooo many mountains so I m sure there s something around.

There are really nice places around, but driving from outside into Auckland is an absolute nightmare! traffic in horrible around here!

But there are motorways right through the city, so leaving the city is not a big mission if you leave at the right time of the day :)

Good luck!
    Last edited by kiaora!!; 05-05-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: forgot ...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I will keep you all informed on how we're getting on, now the ball has started rolling. I expect I may have a few more questions too!

Cheers, Mark

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Mark, no matter where you are in NZ you're never that far from open spaces, mountains, trees and nature. Auckland is a big city and it's pretty sprawly. When you look out over the city it's not built 'up' it's built 'out' There are few high risers and lots of little buildings that just stretch the city out. The harbour is the hub and like all cities built around a harbour, it brings a busy but laid back feel with it.

The salary you mention is a good opening salary man!! We'd manage very nicely on that thank you very much and we're a family of 5. We don't, however, live in Auckland. With house prices pretty static and even falling a little just now, the advice from all seems to rent if possible and sit tight for interest rates to come down a little. Renting means no rates, no water rates and there are an abundance of types, sizes and prices of property on the market. We are renting a beautiful house in the country with 4 acres of land for $400 a week. We could never afford to buy this place so we're grateful for every day we have here.

Communting from outside shouldn't be a problem, from what I've heard the traffic is terrible up there so it shouldn't be too difficult a choice. The times I have been up there, I've sat on the motorway static for a good half hour at a time, maybe not a lot compared to the M25 but it's not what we came to NZ for.

If you love the outdoors then NZ will give you the opportunity and the weather to enjoy one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Nothing stops the kiwis from enjoying the great outdoors, most people enjoy outdoor pursuits and you usually find when you get to where you're heading, there's no one else for miles!! It all sounds like it could fit you well buddy. Hope you take the plunge
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

ianfinch is offline Junior Member

hi mark
    i am going over to auckland in June/july...my salary is 78K and i think my partner will be on 45/50 k which i am told is pretty good to live on , again depending on rental etc...must admit to finding the house hunting a bit confusing, we are going to rent for 12 months then sell up in england ( wait out the credit crunch!!) My partner would like to set up her own B&B type business. I am looking forward to the outdoors life
    good luck

Thanks for your post Ian - I would be really keen to hear how you get on. Will you be doing a blog? Out of interest, have you decided on a particular area of Auckland that you want to live in? Also, what line of work are you and your partner involved with?

We are also thinking about selling up too - if we sell our house in the UK we would probably have a low/no mortgage in NZ, but as you say things seem unstable everywhere at the moment including NZ. Psychologically, I think selling the home in the UK will be a touch decision to make though!

rasin is offline Member

hi Mark, ianfinch,

The salary figure you mentioned are before tax i suppose? It certainly sounds good. I'm just concern that after tax and those high medical/insurance cost also (foreigners don't get any social/all benefit) is that ok if only one breadwinner for the family.... Perhaps some advice from others?
    I'm considering quiting my job locally and moving over to join my hubby in NZ which is the same situation like Mark (a good offer fr NZ suddenly pops up!). Hubby is based in Wellington but living standard shld be quite like Auckland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast