Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queenstown

ricky_88 is offline Junior Member

Default Queenstown

Hi there,

Good day for every one,

Well, I am planning to spend 3 days and 2 nights in Queenstown and I need help from you guys for the below questions:

1) Which is the best way to go to Q.T from Auckland i.e. air or bus, if it is Air then which is the low cost airlines in NZ so that I can get a cheap ticket?

2) Is there any town near to Q.T where I can fly till there and I can take bus to Q.T?

2) About stay in Q.T: I want to stay in a place which is low cost one, but not the back packers,

3) The reason I want to go Q.T is I am nature lover and I want to see the nature,
    So please let me know what are all I can do in Q.T to see the nature like any tours or trips are there?

4) How will be the climate in Q.T from May 14 2008 to May 21 2008, please let me know any suggestions for my clothing?s.

Thanks in advance and have a great day,

Ricky.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Ricky,

That's a lot of questions, so the best thing I can do is give you some websites for the area so you can pick out the information you need.

Queenstown . Official tourism site.
    Queenstown.com
    More visitor information
    Wikitravel
    Experience Queenstown

May will be well into autumn so I would think warmer clothing would be appropriate with perhaps one or two lighter items for any warm days. If you go up into the mountains you would certainly need warm clothes. South Island is a bit cooler than North Island so be prepared for a drop in temperatures.

There is an airport in Queenstown, so you could maybe fly in there from Auckland if you wish. Or you could fly to Christchurch airport and bus over to Queenstown if you want to go part of the way by bus .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default queenstown in May

Ricky,
    Not sure how much you know abot QT...
    Your comments made me chuckle.

Firstly, Queenstown is the party town of NZ and the only nature your likely to see is of the young kind.
    No real wildlife as you need to Visit Dunedin or Catlins for that..
    Its just gone into a very quite spell and rooms should be cheaper so check WOTIF.
    There are lots of hotels and Kiwi site is decent, but its expensive all round so be prepared to dig deep.

Weather is getting colder now and its very cold at night with 6-10 planned during datime and maybe 2-5 at night to big coats.

But, seriously if you want nature dont go to QT as many Kiwis dont bother.
    If you want fun and sporting such as bungy then your ok

ENJOY

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by macfod View Post
    Ricky,
    Not sure how much you know abot QT...
    Your comments made me chuckle.

Firstly, Queenstown is the party town of NZ and the only nature your likely to see is of the young kind.
    No real wildlife as you need to Visit Dunedin or Catlins for that..
    Thanks, Mark. I was wondering to myself how Queenstown had suddenly become attractive to nature lovers. Never heard of anyone going there for that before. I didn't comment as I thought I'd overlooked something and didn't want to appear more of an idiot than I already am.
    Mother Bear

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Thanks, Mark. I was wondering to myself how Queenstown had suddenly become attractive to nature lovers. Never heard of anyone going there for that before. I didn't comment as I thought I'd overlooked something and didn't want to appear more of an idiot than I already am.

Hi Motherbear/Mark,

Thanks a lot for your inputs...

I live in Edmonton, Canada,

Mark, I don?t know any things about QT...

So, I just want to see Nature in NZ?that is my only purpose to coming to NZ?

Well, now I am in big dilemma that whether I should go to QT or Dunedin or Catlin (as per mark's comments),

As I said earlier, I am not that interested in sports,

Yes I am interested in Nature, so I don't know where should I go now?

If I carry a good jacket and pair of glows will do the job for clothing?

Please let me know,

Ricky...

Blog Entries

Some more reading for you. Even if you don't want tours, these will give you some idea of what is available to see in various areas.

Ecotours .
    Nature and Co. . This didn't open properly for me. See if you get a better result.
    Pukaka Mount Bruce .
    Kiwi Birdlife Park . Oh! Here's something for Queenstown after all.

If you are living in Canada you should know something about the cold weather and what you need to keep you warm, so bring whatever you are comfortable in that doesn't weigh too much so you can carry it if you find you do get warm on occasions.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I've not been to the South Island, but I would have thought jumping in a car/campervan and having a drive around would be the best thing to do down there. There's stunning scennery everywhere, so at least if one place doesnt offer you what you want, then you can easily move on.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Ricky,

Top marks for planning your trip before you get here!

Go for layers of clothing that you can add or remove as the temperature goes up and down.

When you say 'nature' what exactly do you mean? I don't think may people would describe Queenstown as natural, although it is surrounded by some pretty amazing countryside.

If you want some suggestions, look at the glaciers on the West Coast of the South Island - they're pretty natural. The thermal wonderland in Rotorua and the Urewera National Park on the North Island are also pretty natural.

You could also check out the 101 Must Do ideas on the AA website - 101 Must-Do's For Kiwis - New Zealand's Best Kiwi Attractions & Experiences - AA Travel New Zealand

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Hi Ricky,

Top marks for planning your trip before you get here!

Go for layers of clothing that you can add or remove as the temperature goes up and down.

When you say 'nature' what exactly do you mean? I don't think may people would describe Queenstown as natural, although it is surrounded by some pretty amazing countryside.

If you want some suggestions, look at the glaciers on the West Coast of the South Island - they're pretty natural. The thermal wonderland in Rotorua and the Urewera National Park on the North Island are also pretty natural.

You could also check out the 101 Must Do ideas on the AA website - 101 Must-Do's For Kiwis - New Zealand's Best Kiwi Attractions & Experiences - AA Travel New Zealand

Hope that helps

Hi Motherbear/Taffy/kokopeli

Thanks a lot for your info guys,

Well, in my sense the nature means natural beauty like greenery, mountains, water falls, scenic beauty,

So, I decided to do some more research and prepare a perfect plan for south island...

I think I will go to Dunedin, West Coast, and queen?s town...

Once again thanks a lot for the info?

Just wondering, what will you do (to see the nature in south island) if you are in my shoes?

Let me know your opinions...

Thx?
    Last edited by ricky_88; 16-04-2008 at 05:48 PM.

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default west coast

if you come to dunedin, come for a chat in our cafe and we will point you towards wildlife,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast