Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving in NZ can be dangerous

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

had to remove this post for now
    Last edited by hatter5; 10-02-2008 at 11:00 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Ooo, glad I just managed to read it before it went. Sounds official to me, Hatter.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

We spent a "while" following her prior to being "located".

Weaving motorist sets off flurry of calls - Newstalk ZB

Weaving motorist sets off flurry of calls

11/02/2008 6:20:01
    A woman will appear in court after allegedly driving at 20 kilometres an hour while weaving across motorway lanes in Wellington.
    Police say they received around 20 calls from other motorists late yesterday afternoon, concerned about the woman's erratic behaviour behind the wheel.
    She was located by police just south of the Ngauranga Gorge, and will appear in the Wellington District Court on driving and drug related charges.
    Share this Article:

Seed Newsvine

Need to be careful with what I posted as I didn't want her case prejudiced (and a few other reasons) Clearly she is the victim in this.

I will resubmit the post soon.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I hope so, 'cause my curiosity has been piqued.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Decided to change the post as some parts of it could be misconstrued.

This is a brief account of our journey home from Welly (after enjoying the Chinese New Year Celebrations) at around 17:30. We were traveling along State Highway 1 (Motorway) in the rain when we had to slow down due to some eratic lane changing ahead.

This was down to a drunk driver who was weaving from side to side across both lanes at 20Km/hr. We managed to keep going at this speed and stopped other drivers trying to overtake. I asked my wife to call 111 and get Police to stop the driver.

I think she must have got hold of a newbie at the Call Centre as he advised that she shouldn't be using this number and use 555 in future as 111 was for emergencies. I was getting a tad annoyed by this thinking fine we'll wait for the car to crash and then ask for an ambulance and assume a Police car would turn up too.

A motorcyclist remonstrated with the driver trying to get him to pull over (we were still traveling at 20Km/hr while the driver S'd down the road). No joy the car sped up to around 80Km/hr and I thought this is it - road carnage ahead.

Meanwhile the phone call continued....

At the next junction he left the motorway and got back on heading south back into Welly. I was getting extremely concerned that there would be a pile up as the speed of the traffic flow was 100Km/hr and we were heading into the Nguaranga Gorge so if another car lost control in the wet then we would be in serious danger too.

Anyway after 15 minutes on the phone the Police arrived and managed to get the driver to pull over. I was peeved over a number of things,
    - The fact that other drivers were happy to negotiate their way past the drunk and continue with their lives.
    - The perceived delay for assistance. 15 minutes of excitement that we could have done without.
    - He was actually a she. I assumed it was some old codger or a very young youth not a women in her early 20's.

I was certain there was going to be a crash as the traffic was heavy given that that family day out (New Year Celebrations) had just finished.

I have only every seen this type of driving on TV shows such as Police Camera Action. No helicopter flying overhead with infra red camera rolling just me with my hazards on waving my arm out of the window like a right twat trying to slow the traffic down.

I hope the transcript of the phone call will be used as a training tool. The use of Anglo-Saxon from myself was probably an education in itself.

It that wasn't enough -

Erebus air investigator killed by car - New Zealand, world, sport, business & entertainment news on Stuff.co.nz

An utter waste of human life! The fatality happened on the main road which leads to where we live and we had to explain to the kids why the road was closed.

The media has reported that the 18 year old driver lost control of his V8 Ford Falcon - which was traveling up hill on a steep gradient - and lost control.

I have tempted to post some other motoring incidents I have witnessed in the past but words cannot adequately describe the events as they unfolded.

Blog Entries

At least you did your civic duty, Hatter, or tried to. We all read about these things in the newspaper or hear of them on TV but it's a different matter when they are going on right in front of you.

Sounds like it's all been happening in Hamilton too.
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I'm glad everyone is safe. Good job on getting the police out there.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

duane1x is offline Member

Good job getting involved and sticking with it.

I didn't understand your comment about she is the victim in all this. ?

Blog Entries

Common sense - RIP

The defence counsel may be all too familiar with this...

Must be careful not to stereotype the accused as I'm sure the Judge will be awaiting some "reports" about this individuals background.

We must have been over reacting as this behaviour must be common. One week on and no further contact from the thin blue line.

Had I not been aware of a speed camera location during all the excitement I'm sure the penalty notice would have arrived by now, but then as law breaker I would have some rights?

Bugger - still a tad p'd off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hatter5 View Post
    We must have been over reacting as this behaviour must be common.
    That could be the case (that type of behaviour being common, I mean). I've seen quite a lot of similar cases reported in the press over the last few weeks. All female and either under the influence of drink or drugs or preferably, both. Often also with children on board. I wonder what the problem is. It's getting to be an epidemic.

Concern at fourth drink-drive woman.

Followed by Heavily pregnant woman 'three times over limit' which, with another case, brings it up to 6 times in a month.

Boozing it like the boys
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast