Thread: BBC i player

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Default BBC i player

Has anyone in NZ tried the new BBC i player thing to see if it works in NZ- you can watch all the BBC programs over the internet for upto a week after they have been aired on TV.

Let me know if anyone gives it a go and if it works.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Beth

I'm guessing no, as I think its based on your country of residence obtained from your IP address as this is where you'd be paying your broadcasting license. ie if you're in NZ, you haven't paid a license in the UK. I've tried using the TVNZ equivalent from here & it wouldn't work. Just my guess & maybe someone knows for sure.

Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default It's a no go

It does not work outside the UK. I gave it a try and got this ...

Can I download programmes from outside the UK?

The BBC uses Geo-IP technology to identify where you are based on the location of your internet service provider (ISP). This ensures that only internet users in the UK can enjoy programmes on BBC iPlayer.

If you download a programme to your laptop or a portable hard drive, you can watch this wherever you are in the world. However, you will only be able to download new programmes once you return to the UK.

Why do I need to be in the UK to use BBC iPlayer?

Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer is only available to users in the UK. However, BBC Worldwide is working on an international version, which we will make available as soon as possible.

Some content, such as podcasts, are available to users outside the UK at BBC - Radio - Podcasts - Directory. Many BBC News programmes are available for viewers outside the UK at BBC NEWS | Video and Audio, BBC Sport highlights are available at BBC SPORT and BBC Radio stations are available at BBC - Radio Homepage |

Do make sure you check for news on BBC iPlayer at BBC - bbc.co.uk homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet

How does BBC iPlayer identify that I'm in the UK?

BBC iPlayer recognises your location by checking your IP address (a sequence of numbers for every computer on the internet).
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Buggers (can i say that on here?)

Oh well- will have to get the FIL to download it and then email it to us until they sort something out.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ebianca View Post
    Buggers (can i say that on here?)
    No
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

wigwam is offline Junior Member

Default Its possible

Hi, noticed this thread while searching for something else and felt I had to contribute.

It is possible to access UK TV on demand sites from New Zealand in 3 main ways. Some of them are free, some need a little techinical know-how and some are simple.

Option 1. Slingbox. This is a piece of hardware that connects to your computer. For this to work you need a friend in the UK with some technical savvy and who doesn't mind you taking some (!) bandwidth while you are watching. Rather cmplicated but possible. Here is more about slingboxes Slingbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Using proxy servers in the UK. This method is free but a bit of a B***er to get to work consistently. The esiest way is to install 'FoxyProxy' an add-on for Firefox. Then you need to find a UK based proxy which is a) anonymous, b) open and free to use and c) not been blacklisted. These can be found by googling for British free proxies but you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince!. Then you route yourself through the UK proxy server using Foxyproxy, when you want to view.

Another method of using proxies is by setting up Tor. But that is a bit more complicated.

3. By far the easiest, and most consistent method (although not free) is by setting up a VPN. This stands for 'virtual private network' and it acts as another connection to the net on your computer. By using a VPN service with UK servers, you will be able to access sites with these geo-restrictions.

They are easy to set up (usually takes just a few minutes) and easy to use. The prices range anywhere up to 20 a month. From all that I have seen out there, I would reccommend ADTelly who come in at 5,50 a month. ADTelly UK VPN

So, there you go. Lots of options, take your pick!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keeweegal View Post
    No
    LOL I can just see your face as you say this!! You beauty :]]]
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land