Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oinz

muffin mum is offline Member

Default Oinz

For those who are living here, what are your OINZ moments?
    Only
    In
    New
    Zealand

Just those everyday things, good and bad .

Mine are

Ringing Kapiti Fencing to be told they don't do fences.

Watching a TV series for it to be bunked to 11.00pm and then vanish because the 100 people that have the special statistics box aren't watching it.

Meeting the nurse at our surgery in Raumati and have her ask if I was from Sussex and my mum was a nurse. She knew my mum and we are now very good friends.

Having the worst meal out ever because all of the kitchen staff had called a sickie and they let the kitchen boy cook. Getting a $200 voucher because of it and meal and drinks for free. It was the night of the Sevens.

There are many more, but I will have to think. What are your things that would only happen here?
    Emma
    Moving to Khandallah at the end of May and becoming a property tycoon. We are renting our current house out!
    Facebook ID-
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=767104133
    Been in NZ since October 2001 and have a Kiwi daughter 4 and a HALF.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

OINZ ..

... will you see kids going to school without shoes out of choice, not poverty.

... will you see fully grown adults shopping in their bare feet ... again out of choice.

... will you be invited to a party with the words "bring a plate" - just don't forget the food on it!

... can you be the first to climb a mountain (and survive) then not only have your picture on the $5 note, but a state funeral on your death.

... can cheap houses be built, kids run around with dirty bare feet, and you are politely required to take your shoes off before entering a home.

Sure there is more but it just takes time to think of them!!!
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Good ones!

Another to add

It is cheaper to get a takeaway pizza than a frozen one at a supermarket.
    Emma
    Moving to Khandallah at the end of May and becoming a property tycoon. We are renting our current house out!
    Facebook ID-

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Only in New Zealand -

Pre-schools have fully operational tool benches with real drills, saws and hammers, and real nails!!

There are no crash barriers on the scariest mountain roads.

Chicken necks are the special offer meat at the supermarkets.

Will no doubt think of loads more......

Maggie x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I doubt whether you see these only in NZ, but I enjoyed looking out for personalised number plates as we were driving round. There are quite a few around and I appreciated their humour.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm enjoying reading this thread and will eventually get round to adding my own oinz's.....some of what's been said rings so true

I remember watching a TV programme a few years back where they were talking about some highly acidic lake somewhere in NZ. Now, in my experience, if that were in the UK, it would have been fenced off, keep-away signs put up and no-one would have been allowed within a mile of it - here, the tour guide fella just says 'ya wouldn't wanna swim in it'. No fences, no warning signs, up to people to take the risk on how close they get to it!

Also, oinz were we allowed to drive off in a $17,000 car with no deposit and told to keep it for a week before we decided if we wanted it. To top it all, we decided we did, but our money from the UK hadn't quite made it to our NZ bank account, so he told us to pretty much pay him when we could, which happened to be a week later.

There'll be more I think of, no doubt, but keep 'em coming peeps

Desirida is offline Junior Member

Great thread Muffin Mum. It reminds me of a lot of the reasons why we want to move from Uk to NZ - particular the more laid back, less risk obsessed attitude!! I can't comment on the OINZ but conversely it reminded me of a lot of the OIUK things I have to laugh at or I would dispare! For example having school age children who are told that they are not allowed to do cartwheels at lunch time incase someone gets hurt or not being allowed to eat their lunch outside in summer in case they get stung by something!! Great to hear about kids being able to walk bare foot and learn by their mistakes so thanks!

Happy to help you smile!

Another good one-
    Our local council is very strict on fencing pools. If we were to leave water in the paddling pool it should be fenced. The local park is not fenced with a kids outside paddling pool.
    Emma
    Facebook ID-

spid is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo View Post
    Only in New Zealand -

Pre-schools have fully operational tool benches with real drills, saws and hammers, and real nails!!

There are no crash barriers on the scariest mountain roads.

Chicken necks are the special offer meat at the supermarkets.

Will no doubt think of loads more......

Maggie x
    Preschools - this was considered good policy in nurserys in the UK 15 years ago when i was training - and it was good to do- then helath and saftey got a hold of the idea and banned it!

Crash barriers - this is scarey - i dreamt that we fell off a mountain road cos hubby was being silly in the 4x4 we were all going to fal 500ft into the sea and die - hubby is now banned from buying that type of car when we come over and if i see that area we aren't going there! (i have dreamt things that came true - once i dreamt 4 of the 6 winning lottery numbers - i actually dreamt all six but couldn't remember two on waking)

Woah!

Bunstar is offline Member

Another car related one:

When buying a second hand car we saw one that we really liked that was about $1000 more than we wanted to pay (it was advertised as $6995), my boyfriend said to the salesman would you take $6500. The salesman went away, came back and said he'd sell it to us for $6350!!! Less than we offered...OINZ!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast