Thread: .....we are still here.........(nelson that is!)

Default .....we are still here.........(nelson that is!)

Hi all

Seems an age since I was last here (yes yes MB it IS an age). Anyway heres an update;

Jacky finishes her 1 year post-grad nursing position on saturday. We were reading an old old email from 2006 from the director of nursing in Nelson saying that she gets dozens of un-solicited requests for employment from the Uk each week, it is very very rare that they ever employ from outside NZ bla bla bla..... The same woman has offered jacky a PT position when she finishes the course. She is loving the work, and loving the people she works with. She's truly sorted!

Ellen starts at intermediate school in Feb. Yikes! She is looking forward to it as all the other kids will be like she was when we first arrived, they dont know anyone else in the class. "Its easy to make friends, you just walk up and say hi to them and smile" according to Ellen- hope that dosent work too well on boys at the moment.

We had 16 for Christmas dinner, jackys sister & family, my bro & family, my mum and an old friend of Jackys from Holland. We took off in convoy to Rabbit Island for the mother of all BBQs, a few tinnies, cricket, body boarding & indegestion.....generally in that order. Was a hot day too. The place was pretty busy, the next party was about 50m away. Thats busy.

To celebrate our first year here, 15 years of marital bliss (to each other!) we took a helicopter flight over the Abel tasman Nat Park and got dropped off at a place called Awaroa Lodge. Boat, foot (or helicopter!) access only. It was bliss. An oasis of good food and chilled wine in the middle of the bush, next to a 1km beach. It has to be the most memorable day we have had in New Zealand.

The Beach at Aworoa Lodge (Really Busy)

On the Patio for a Yummy Lunch

Saw Snow Patrol in Chch. Fantastic, really cool cab driver who told us to ring him at the encore and he would pick us up outside, underneath the Tui beer billboard....... yeah right! (NZ joke). Sure enough he was there and he knocked back 3 better fares while he waited for us. Took us to the BEST kebab shop in town and back to the hotel. He then picked us up for the airport run & stopped the meter as he gave us a guided tour of downtown Chch. He was great, a true kiwi bloke.

Been to see Anika Moa and the Blackseeds at a local hotel (see 'em on you tube - blackseeds "cool me down" personifies kiwi summer holidays), well it was in a marquee type effort behind the hotel (read "Pub"). Fantastic night out. 600 people giving it what-for in a tent, all helped on the fragrant tobacco every third person was smoking. Brooke Fraser in Feb at a vineyard, taxi home booked, ahhh!

FINALLY took our driving tests. I JUST passed 32/35 and expected jacky to rip the P!$$ out of me, she didnt though, she got 32/35. On a serious note if you have been in NZ for more than 12 months (from the date stapped in your passport) then you will be classed as driving without a licence if the cops pull you over...but also your insurance will probably be invalid. Not a legal issue as you dont need car insurance but a big fnancial one if you write off thousands of $ worth of car.

Anyway life is as sweet and a bowl of honey with sugar on the top at the moment. Reading other peoples posts, its probably due to a smattering of good luck and secure jobs that has given us the foundations to enjoy the summer as we are doing.

Promise to post again this year sometime before christmas.

Cheers all

Nick

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Wow- sounds like you've been busy.

So glad to hear you are setteled in well and enjoying yourselves.
    Hope this year is as good as the last for you and yours.

Good to see you back again too.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick_and_jacky View Post
    Hi all

Seems an age since I was last here (yes yes MB it IS an age).
    Baaaaaad boy.

At least when you do pop up on here, Nick, it's usually with a glowing report of your life in NZ which must be quite cheering to everyone, when many of the current posts are a bit gloomy.

It's so good to hear that all is still going swimmingly with you and at least someone thinks they have made the right choice in immigrating. Long may it last.

Congrats on 15 happy years of marriage and also passing your NZ driving tests.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Great to hear from you Nick I'll add another congratulations on your 15 years of marital bliss (few years before Taff & I reach that milestone yet ) and also passing your driving tests. It's fabulous to hear from someone who is so obviously settled and happy with life in NZ.

I was thinking of you just the other day you know - well, if it was you (I'm sure it was!) who imparted the recipe for the filled-with-cheese-and-ham-and-peppers-etc bread. I've yet to try it out but I've diligently put the little post-it note I wrote it down on in the back of my cookbook (no Taffy, it's not just in the kitchen for show ).

Welcome back to the forum anyway

WG - yes it was me who passed on the recipe for "dippy bread". A mate from Aussie has taken it back with him - and claimed it as his own at a barbie. As long as its enjoyed by everyone I dont mind. I made one for a christmas bbq and got the red pesto and minced chilli mixed up (yes I had partaken of a few refreshments at the time). Boy that one was like krakatoa! Jackys sister got guacamole & wasabi paste mixed up the same night. I have never laughed so much at a grown woman dribbling for half an hour as her saliva glands try to calm down after a corn chip loaded with wasabi blew her mouth apart.

I promise to post more regularly from now one. How regularly is the question.

Cheers

Nick

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It's good to hear from you again, Nick. I'm glad to hear that you've settled quite happily. Happy anniversary!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

*/ Lauren. =] is offline Junior Member

Yo bro! Howdy doody! Sounds like y' diddling well

Fabbo for Jackie, bravo for Ellen and well,well,well for the 15 years

Just an aside here: MB WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT??? Most of the current posts are NOT gloomy. Maybe it's you who's feeling a bit gloomy and allowing your mood to influence what you read? I see a lot of positivity and enthusiasm in the posts even if they are conveying a little anxiety and the more positivity and 'can do' perceptions we send back will be good for everyone.

By the way this is Dawn on Laurens pc!!!
    Don't Be Afraid To Reach For The Moon,
    Because If You Fall You Will Land Among The Stars. =] ___ X

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by */ Lauren. =] View Post
    Just an aside here: MB WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT??? Most of the current posts are NOT gloomy. Maybe it's you who's feeling a bit gloomy and allowing your mood to influence what you read?
    Well, you must admit some of our American friends have been experiencing difficulties and then Burgundy21 is off home again after only a short while.

And yes, I have been feeling a LOT gloomy lately (with good cause, I may add) but I hope to be able to move forward now that we're settling into our new home (as long as it remains standing, which is dubious with everything else that has gone wrong here ).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.