Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZ Drivers

bstar is offline Member

Default NZ Drivers

I haven't been on the site for ages....since I have been in NZ! Cannot believe how hectic things have been, settling and meeting people and moving house!
    I have one gripe here.....I love it already....BUT the driving is making me crazy. It really infuriates me how bad it is here, and how dangerous it is. I spent a lot of the time of my job on the road in the UK and across Europe and the US, when based in the UK, but I have never seen driving as bad as I have seen here, and I have only been here 3 and a half months. The road death rate is ridiculous, and I cannot count how many multi car pile ups I have seen in Auckland (3 in one day once)....is anyone else finding it this bad?? Am I being a whinging pommie??
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

You get used to it.

Drivers new to NZ naturally take a little time to get used to the differences as well as getting used to an unfamiliar city or area, but as you say you have driven in Europe and the USA we must really respect your opinion that the driving is bad here.

Not too keen on the roads in Auckland myself, but prefer it to clenching my teeth on the M25 or London's Circular roads.

Don't forget that you probaby hear more about the road accidents/fatalities here than in the UK because there is so little newsworthy items to report in the media. Still, must have been a bad day for you to see three pile-ups in such a short space of time.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Gerrout of Auckland gal - it's so mad up there coz that's where everyone is. The's no one on't rest a roads - no pile ups in Hamilton. Elephants but no pile-ups
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

bstar is offline Member

just saw on TV last night that NZ has one of the highest road death rates per capita in the world...argh!! No wonder I am scared!! And I used to spend a lot of my time on the road in London!!
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

You've got to watch those statistics. May be right or may be wrong, but you have to remember that more people drive here per capita than in many other countries - mainly due to the low population, distance between towns and consequent lack of public transport. It is very difficult to get around in New Zealand when you don't have a car.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I live in a remote area (of CA) where the only three ways in are via roads like many in NZ (narrow & winding), and have not had as many close scrapes in 15 years than I had in a month on the North Island. However, I don't recall as many white-knuckle experiences in the urban areas of NZ.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Driving

Well I have to agree now.
    The standard of driving is appalling and no wonder they have a high death rate.

They are always in a hurry to get knowwhere and are desparate to overtake often leaving it until the last minute and then....slow down!

Pedestrians! what are they!
    They never let drivers out and will often try to run people crossing a green light walking happily.
    Dont expect to get let out.

And speed, well they have no idea on how to drive slow expecially the females!
    Sorry ladies..

This with the fact that they often have no insurance and no experience and break the rules.
    Not to mention the fad with noisy exhausts being the in thing ..
    But, this is New Zealand!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Low speed limits and big massive cars with 15 yr olds driving them.........ummmmmmm......could just be me but a bit of a recipe for disaster methinks.

How many times am I happily cruising my little MG along at the MAXIMUM limit of 100kph and most things are thrashing past me inclusing massive lorries looking at me like I'm holding them up. Flippin maniacs
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Don't forget the ones who drive at 70km/h in a 100 zone, then when they hit a 50 limit, continue to do 70km/h. What's that all about?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Don't forget the ones who drive at 70km/h in a 100 zone, then when they hit a 50 limit, continue to do 70km/h. What's that all about?
    They're trying to work out those math problems from primary school. You know, 'a train leaves London at 70 km/h, while another leaves Manchester at 50 km/h ..."
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast