Thread: Driving licence points in NZ

monkeyboi84 is offline Junior Member

Smile Driving licence points in NZ

Hey guys,
    does anyone know how driving licences are affected when emigrating?
    the reason i ask is that if i have 9 points on my UK licence, will that automatically transfer over to an NZ licence?

Please can someone clear this up for me,
    MAny thanks,

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Monkeyboi84 and welcome to MoveToNZ.

I don't believe that your points would be carried over to any NZ driving licence as is stated in this old thread .

Neat, huh?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

monkeyboi84 is offline Junior Member

Thanks MB!

sounds good, looks like a clean slate it is!
    brilliant!
    i spose id better double check first, any ideas who i could call to check with?

thanks!
    Mb x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, it's always good to double-check. I don't know where it says any previous points will be discounted but this is what it says about converting an international licence to a NZ one. No mention of carrying points over.

Converting to a New Zealand driver licence

If you have an international driver licence but want to drive for longer than one year in New Zealand, you must convert to a New Zealand driver licence. You should apply early to make sure you have a new licence before you have been in New Zealand for 12 months.

Application forms are available from driver licensing agents or contact Land Transport NZ's Driver Licensing Call Centre on 0800 822 422.

You will need to pass a theory test to make sure you have a good knowledge of the road rules and you may have to pass a practical driving test. This test is the same as the full licence practical test.

Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand. Because of this, you don't have to sit the practical test if:

you have a driver licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    your licence is current (or has expired within the past 12 months), and
    you've held that licence for more than two years.

For more information, contact Land Transport NZ's Driver Licensing Call Centre on 0800 822 422.

From here near the bottom of the page. Maybe they would be the ones to ask.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Nope, definately don't carry any points over to an NZ license. If any offences were serious, such as driving under the influence, then it may cause you other difficulties though.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.