Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pies

katiej35 is offline Member

Default Pies

ok, NZ love their pies but how come you cannot get pie and chips at the chippie ???????????

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

You must have found the only chippie in NZ that doesn't sell pies then

I just wish they would start making REAL chips in the chippie!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Mmmmmm... pies......
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Mmmm... Mrs. Mac's pies. I really shouldn't......but I do.

Bought from the shop, though, and not the chippie. Not sure if we've ever asked for a pie in the chippie as we usually go for a nice bit of fish.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Having spent lots of time at the seaside, I like to think I know about fish and chips. However....

..... the first time I ordered five lots of fish and chips at our local chippy in NZ, I came home with ten pieces of fish and enough chips to feed just about every orphan in Africa. It turns out that when you ask for fish , you get both fillets or the whole fish.

Believe me, ten pieces of Blue Cod and that many chips take some eating...

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Koko, we manage quite well with one $2 bag of chips between the five of us! What on earth did you do with all those chips?!

Had fish and chips today and, just as Katie says, I noticed there were no pies for sale. There were all manners of fish, fish bites, shellfish, chicken steaks and bites, various Chinese foods, burgers of every description ... but no pies.

Since you can buy hot pies from most dairies and the odd supermarket, it is not quite a disaster. Strange though.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Koko, we manage quite well with one $2 bag of chips between the five of us! What on earth did you do with all those chips?!

I'm building a wall in the garden!

Moving on from the pies, what's the deal with battered sausages on a stick? Call me a snob, but where I'm from, hot dogs come in a bread roll....

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Moving on from the pies, what's the deal with battered sausages on a stick? Call me a snob, but where I'm from, hot dogs come in a bread roll....
    An American import, I believe. I think they call them corn dogs there??? To make things more complicated, to have a sausage in a bread roll you refer to an 'American hot dog'. (Well, you do around here!)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Glenda, it is a corn dog in the US. Pretty much anything fried, and especially anything fried AND on a stick, originated in the US. We are masters of taking something unhealthy--like a hot dog, or cheese, or a Snickers Bar--coating it in high-fat batter, and deep frying it ... thereby performing the near-impossible feat of making it even worse for you to eat.

God Bless the USA!

But, that thing called an 'American Hotdog?'I swear to god I've never seen anything like it in the US.

Hot dogs, in my experience, come in four kinds: the classic, the Coney Island, the chili dog, and the Chicago.

The classic is a dog on a bun with mustard and relish and onions and maybe sour kraut. Anyone over the age of 12 who puts ketchup on a hot dog is disgracing themselves. The Coney Island is a miniature hot dog (not like those little sausage things you can get here--short, but not fat) on a little bun with ground beef cooked with onions and celery salt. The chili dog is a hot dog with chili and possibly cheese sauce, usually a foot-long dog on a long bun. The Chicago is a hot dog with tomatoes, a pickle spear, onions, celery salt, hot peppers, and mustard ... but never ketchup.
    Last edited by KiwiHopeful; 12-10-2007 at 03:25 PM.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Burgundy21 is offline Member

and here's me thinking the deep fried Mars bar originated in Glasgow.....now served for pudding to posh Parisiens....Sacr? Bleu!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast