Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance in NZ

nolasmom is offline Member

Question Insurance in NZ

We're 2 months into Kiwi living and are slogging through the mundane details of life - banking, new (used) car, "permanent" rental house are all done. Now we're looking at insurance: term life, disability, and private healthcare to be exact. Hubbie's job here didn't offer a lot of frills in the employment package, so we're forced to pick up this tab.

We received a quote from our bank with middle-of-the-road limits for the above mentioned three types of insurance and realized I would have to go to work part-time to pay for it. I thought this was one of the reasons we left the good ole US of A.

What are your experiences with NZ insurance? Has anyone gone through their banks? Are there companies like State Farm, AFLAC, etc here?
    Last edited by nolasmom; 16-09-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Insurance is a pretty competetive market, so it's worth shopping around. Your bank will only offer you their products, so it may be worth finding a broker instead who can look around many different providers to get you the best deal.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

On this thread you'll find some links for private health insurance amongst other bits and pieces. Might be worth contacting a few places to see what they can offer you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Alison is offline Member

I used this website recently to get a quote for medical insurance and they have been really, really helpful, so if you like to do things online have a look and see what they can do for you. https://www.inform.co.nz/overview/ They will check out what policies are available and advise you what they think is best, and they seem pretty unbiased here and give down to earth advise, send you all the info by email and once you narrow it down more info and application forms by post which you fill in and send back to them and they go from there.

Ali
    x

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

You know what I find refreshing here is that if something is crap someone'll tell you it's crap and if it's good other people will have it.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

nolasmom is offline Member

Default Thought I'd let you know

I took Alison's advice and used www.inform.co.nz. A seemingly helpful representative contacted me with several options. When I mentioned that I had a quote from ASB bank for Sovereign insurance, Inform's representative stopped communicating. Just thought others should know.

Alison is offline Member

Sorry to hear they've not been to helpful to you , we've been really lucky and had a really nice guy helping us out who hasnt been able to do enough for us it feels like

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

We have our car and house insurance with Monument, which I've been very happy with so far -- comprehensive policies that seemed well-priced compared to what I was used to paying in California. I used a broker who I was referred to by the real estate agent we used. I've actually already had to file a car insurance claim (learning to drive on the left wasn't as easy as I hoped...), and the process went very smoothly.

The next time I'm in the mood to do some comparison shopping, I'm planning on having a look at AA for car insurance. Their "auto club" aspect reminds me of AAA in the States (CSAA in Calif) -- although I'm not sure how their prices or coverage compare to Monument.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I've actually already had to file a car insurance claim (learning to drive on the left wasn't as easy as I hoped...), and the process went very smoothly.
    Jeez, sounds like a very interesting story there! Please tell ... and, by the way, it is Nelson area you live in, you don't travel much in Northland? (Just checking.)

Actually, I haven't even considered medical, term or any other insurance -probaby could not afford it anyway. Have AA Insurance for our cars and their quote seems comparable to others, but use cheaper house and contents insurance companies though.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Jeez, sounds like a very interesting story there! Please tell ... and, by the way, it is Nelson area you live in, you don't travel much in Northland? (Just checking.)
    It's embarassing.

I shopped for a new car and a new home during a "get ready to move" trip to NZ in Nov 2006. I met a helpful sales guy here in person, then finalized the transaction from the US just before we left again for NZ in Dec 2006. He met me at the airport, and took me back to the dealership where we signed papers, etc, and I left with the new car.

After a long day with the kids (I have twin 18 yr old boys), we went out to dinner. On the way home, after making a sharp left turn onto our street, I was hit with what I've since learned they call "sun strike" -- the sun was low in the sky, and I was blinded by the glare. I tried to pull down the sun shade, but it stuck somehow. I swerved to the left just slightly and clipped a stop sign post, putting a nice dent in the front left fender. Very first day as a PR in NZ, and very first day with a new car.

A few months later I misjudged the exact location of the left side of the car, and scraped it against some nasty bushes up on the narrow road leading to our driveway. I've found judging that left edge of the car to be one of the hardest things about adjusting to driving with a right-hand-drive car...

Yes, I live in Nelson. I took a business trip to Auckland and Hamilton a few months ago, so I've driven up in that area as well. Definitely a more stressful experience. No accidents for me, fortunately, although I did manage to get flipped-off a few times for driving slowly in the fast lane on an expressway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast