Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xtra and Yahoo - WTF?

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Angry Xtra and Yahoo - WTF?

Most of us have experienced xtra/yahoo off the air this weekend. Kinda liked it when xtra and yahoo joined up - big apprehensive at first but it worked. Was hoping that the new upgrade would be a further improvement ... but it is a bl**dy mess!

The new system is a right pain - wrong colours, wrong resolution and wtf is the point of 'xtra bubble'? If you succeed in registering for that, it keeps logging off on its own and not that much of an improvement at all.

Lots of folk are complaining about it - on the tv, radio and internet. I had stuff sold on TradeMe over the weekend and emails lost! Telecom's xtra is supposed to be providing a service most people can deal with - little kids and old grannies too. Wonder what prats they got in to do this?

That's my rant for the day! I don't suppose anyone can convince me that this is a good move by xtra/yahoo?

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I might be wrong, but you seem a little tense to me, Glenda?

The merging of Xtra and Yahoo is only the website portal, and shouldn't be affecting any of your services with them. I never use the Xtra website, so don't know what the Bubble thing is all about, but apart from that I've not experienced any problems with them, other than the usual ridiculously slow mail delivery now and again!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Yes Taffy, was a little 'tense'.

Wrong forum ... should have checked to see if Telecom has one we can throw some blue words at! (As if!) I'm quite open to change - you have to be when you're immigrating - but this one has got me a little annoyed.

I'll try and tone it down a bit.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I'm with you on this one Glenda. Xtra could have avoided a lot of pain if they'd explained what was happening before hand. I managed to access my xtra email using Outlook (which I never use) while the server was down, but it wasn't easy......

I never used the BT browser back in the UK because it was painful and kept trying to install loads of rubbish on my pc. I ditched this yahoo xtra thing as soon as it started asking for loads of personal info - middle names, place of birth, father's cousin's aunt maud's cat's name - jeezus!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I called Xtra today about our broadband connection, and there was a message saying that the 'Bubble' had errors in it so has been temporarily shut down for registrations!

The biggest problem these days with them, is that you can't get to speak to anyone! They've got this stupid phone system which you have to talk to, and the system tries to figure out what you're saying. I've discovered though, that if you shout and swear at it, you get put through to a representative! The only problem then though, is you get put through to someone who doesn't understand you and you can't understand them, and brands you as a moron before you say anything. We were having a really slow connection a few days back so I called the faults line - HA! Told me to run a bunch of tests and told me it was a DNS problem, no, it's the plan I'm on, no, I'm not using a telecom supplied modem, no, it's definately a DNS problem.

No, Mr Telecom 'Tech', it's your crap network. Don't make up problems because you think I don't understand!

Turning out to be a great little rant topic, this one!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Am getting used to it ... slowly. Never managed to get on Outlook. Most friends and rellies use gmail but the institutions use the xtra account.

A big annoyance is that one (or perhaps it is just I?) has to log in just to get to the home page, something I've never had to do. This is not just logging in a screen-name and password but the whole xtra email addy.

Then, even if I have got through to the required page, three things often happen at some stage - it may jump to the yahoo page and emails, a warning pops up saying that I have signed in or out in a different window(?), or I just get logged off.

I know well the problems speaking with Telecom. They ask you to clearly state using a word or phrase into the phone which they then use to put you through to the right department. Spent 45mins on the phone with them two weeks prior to moving house, then there were the many calls over the first week in our new house to find out when they were going to connect us, the eventual connection took 15 minutes and then came the bill for $600 for rental and connection fees, then the call to them for a refund of ten days not used ... I think you get the picture.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

Ditch telecom - go with ihug. Or slingshot. I think you can get your phone and broadband with both - and I can't imagine the servie could be any worse...

Lil.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Telecom are the NZ equivalent of British Leyland. Unfortunately, we can't ditch them 'cos we need their blinking line to get broadband from the other providers. The microwave service (swoosh? whoosh? floosh? whatever) isn't available where we live .

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

I don't know if you get ihug in your area, kokopeli, but you can get your phone line from them as well. Of course, they lease the lines from Telecom, so there are no great savings to be found - not yet anyway. I've been with ihug for my phone and broadband since the beginning of the year and I've not had any problems so far - fingers crossed. I think they're a subsidiary of Vodafone - but I'm not sure what difference that makes!

Groan ... oh, groan.

Taking your very sensible advice CrystalLil, I studied the pages for both ihug and slingshot - checking rates, connection fees etc. Found ihug good for those with vodaphones, but generally there is just a couple of dollars difference between them. Thought slingshot would be a nice change.

Check up on my paperwork - surely, as we have been customers for over two years now there should be no further Telecom fees from changing ISP? Not so in my case - when we moved I put the phone and internet in my own name, before in was in the ex-husband's ... I now have to stick with Telecom for another ten months! Big groan.

To add salt to the wound, and to underline how mixed up xtra is, I am greeted with "Good Morning or "Good Afternoon Richard" - even though I am firmly fixed on the personal profile.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast