Thread: UK Newspapers - please help!!!

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

Default UK Newspapers - please help!!!

Well, I've been in Auckland now for about 7 months and am settling in. The one thing I'm REALLY missing is UK newspapers - especially the weekend editions. I've tried the weekly international versions but they're nowhere near the same. I know you can subscribe to internet versions but, again, it's just not the same and you can't read it in the bath...

I was wondering if it would be possible to get even just the weekend papers sent out...does anyone else do this? I'm sure there are a few people I know that I could share the cost of the postage with (cos I assume it wouldn't be cheap) and I wouldn't even care if they were a week out of date.

If anyone wants to ask any questions about life in Auckland, by the way, I'd be happy to share my views...

Thanks,

Lil.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lil,

Good to see you around again. Hope all's going well for you in Auckland and you're enjoying your new life.

We can get the daily UK papers here (at an exhorbitant price), but I take it that's what you mean when you mention the 'international versions'? On the few occasions we've bought one, I can't say I've noticed any difference, but then I was never a newspaper buff and probably wouldn't know any better.

Is there no one you've left behind in the UK who would be prepared to send the papers to you? Of course, they would be very out of date by the time they reached you, but perhaps that doesn't matter to you. If you'd organised a redirection of mail before leaving the UK, you could have ordered the papers to your old home address whereupon the mail redirection would have forwarded them on to you in NZ. I tried to see if the papers themselves do mail paper deliveries and they do, but only in the UK. I guess they rely on you reading them online in these days of high technology.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hey Lil, I'm with you on this one. I used to love spending lazy Sundays with The Sunday Times (and the News of the World, but you'd never hear me admit to that in public). Internet versions just aren't the same.......

I haven't found a UK paper on the South Island, apart from the depressing one that comes out weekly. You must have seen it in the supermarkets. It's the one with only two cover stories - how many immigrants are swamping the UK and how much the Royal Family costs I think it's the Mail or Express or something.

I'm learning to accept that the NZ weekend papers come out on Saturday and am getting used to living with the Weekend Press or Herald. I buy The Listener to make up for the poor magazine (or no magazine) and read them over coffee at a seaside cafe. A Sunday Times would be like extra sprinkles on my latte, but I guess you can't have everything 'eh......

ambrose is offline Junior Member

hi

I seem to remember that Whitcoulls on Queens Street have a selection, although the magazines were missing on the weekend papers.

Not been in there for a while as we gave up on Auckland and moved to Wellington.

Enjoy

Alex
    EOI Submited 2nd June 2006 (180 Points)
    EOI Selected 9th June 2006
    ITA Submited 16th August 2006
    PR Granted 12th September 2006
    Arrived 18th October 2006

Bought Our 1st House 28th March 2007:
    18 Months in and still loving it.

Wellington is much better than Auckland

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone. New life in Auckland is working out none too badly, MB, thanks for asking! Just went down to Wellington for the weekend, though, and remembered all the good times having lived there before in 2001/02. Welly's just so much prettier and groovier than Auckland! However, Auckland's a bit warmer - so it's all swings and roundabouts, eh?

So - yes, probably going to have to get someone "back home" to send me out the papers and just get them late. I wouldn't care. I did check Whitcoulls but all they had was the weekly Guardian and Express along with the usual NZ papers. Maybe I need to keep checking, though...

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Lil

I'd be happy to send out papers to you (what papers I can get in Glasgow anyway!) before we come out - hopefully Oct/Nov but dependant on house sale.

PM me if you like.

Sal