Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Lessons??

vondermot is offline Member

Default Driving Lessons??

At present I don't drive, never really needed to, but do you think it is something I would be best doing before getting to NZ or after. I know this will depend on where I live/work etc, but can you get by without driving.

Cheers

Tracey

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vondermot View Post
    At present I don't drive, never really needed to,
    Me neither!

If you're going to live in or very close to one of the cities you could probably get away with not driving as there are ferries, buses and trains to get around in as well as taxis. And, of course, you can always walk and take in the scenery. The cities are reasonably compact so getting about shouldn't be too difficult.

If you really wanted to learn to drive but only want to drive in NZ, perhaps it would be a good idea to wait until you're in NZ. I say this for 2 reasons, if you learn in the UK you will be learning UK rules, then when you get to NZ you'll have to learn a new set of rules or, at least, some new rules. Therefore, it might be just as well to learn in the country you're wanting to drive in. Also, if you get a UK driver's licence, you'll have to apply for a NZ one before you've been in the country for 12 months. This means sitting a written test like a scratch card and, I'm not sure but, I think if you haven't been a driver for very long, you may have to sit another practical test. Every driver who's been in NZ for up to 12 months has to apply for a NZ licence and sit the scratch test.

Have you seen this online driving test which is the sort of thing you'd have to do? Your hubby might like to take a peek as well because it'll affect him too. There are some funny little rules that are peculiar to NZ alone, so it's worth swatting up on them.

Edited to add: I've just tested the above link and there's some problem with the website. Might just be at my end, but if it doesn't work for you now, perhaps try a bit later or tomorrow.

Here's another website that tells you about driving licences . And here's one that tells you about The Road Code .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for that MB, thought I might wait but if we end up living "in the sticks" then I'd be stuck, do they have "crash" courses in NZ like they do in UK, not had time to read links yet, just about to get dinner ready.

Tracey

Blog Entries

Yes, if you were to live rurally I would think a car would be a necessity.

Here's the thread about driving tests in NZ that the test link comes from. I still can't get that site to work so it looks like it's down for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by vondermot View Post
    ....... do they have "crash" courses in NZ like they do in UK,
    I couldn't honestly say, not being a driver myself, but perhaps someone else has heard if they have them in NZ.

This tells you how you go about learning and how much it's likely to cost.

Regarding my comments in my first post about whether you'd have to sit another practical test, I found this:

You don't have to sit the practical test if:

you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    your licence is current (or has expired within the past 12 months), and
    you've held that licence for more than two years.
    Mother Bear

Again thanks for that.

Tracey

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

To confirm what Bear said, there would be no point doing it in the UK now as unless you've held the license for 2 years minimum, you have to do it all over again in NZ!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

adc
    adc is offline Junior Member

Hi. Personally I would go ahead and have lessons in the UK - or wherever you are - and get your licence there - if you have time that is. The trouble with the licencing system in NZ is that it's what they call "graduated". For the first 6 months you're a "Learner" driver which means you can only drive with another licence holder, then you move up to "Restricted" which again means you can only drive between certain times and fnally you can take a test for your "Full" licence. With a UK licence it means you can use an International permit (IDP) for a year before converting it - normally you don't need to take a practical with a UK licence but I think that's only if you've had it for at least 2 years.
    You need a car if you're living in Auckland - too spreadout and public transport leaves a lot to be desired. Wellington is easier. But wherever you are it's nice not to always be reliant on someone else to ferry you about. I say go for it!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hmm, good points there adc. I guess it comes down to what your needs are, as to what suits you best!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Yes, while I was researching about learners in NZ I read about the graduated licence. Interesting.

I suppose it depends when Tracey's going to NZ and whether she can get her lessons, test and 2 years' experience in before leaving the UK, otherwise she'll still have to sit another practical. Not sure if they'd accept her full UK licence, without the obligatory 2 years' experience, in lieu of doing all the graduated tests.

The link for the online driving test is working again now.
    Mother Bear

Thanks for this everyone, the only thing that bothers me is having to drive with OH when in Nz as a learner as I wouldn't really know anyone else, sure we'd end up in the divorce courts!!!

Tracey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast