Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bargaining for second hand cars

adc
    adc is offline Junior Member

Default Bargaining for second hand cars

Hi. I'm about to return home after many years of living overseas so am pretty out of touch about how things are done in NZ now. Have been looking on Internet at second hand cars for sale and was wondering to what extent you can bargain for cars being sold through a dealer. Are advertised prices fixed and if not what sort of reduction can you expect to get? Any advice would be appreciated.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

This would depend a lot on the dealer, but most are open to a bit of bargaining. Unless you're lucky and find a really good one, you should expect to get $500 - $1000 off the car. Where are you heading to?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

adc

Hi Taffy. Thanks for the info.

Off to Auckland - am originally from Invercargill, though haven't lived there since the seventies!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Adc, a belated 'Welcome' to the forum.

I think haggling with any dealer is worth a try whether it's for a car, furniture, appliances or whatever. Worth giving it a go as they can only say 'No'.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

True! I dont think we've paid full price for anything since we got here! Well, expensive items anyway
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adc View Post
    Off to Auckland - am originally from Invercargill, though haven't lived there since the seventies!
    Woah ADC I bet things have changed a bit since then! You'll have to post and let us know your thoughts about the changes, should be interesting What's making you want to go back after all this time?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

adc

Good question Dawn. Must say I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about the move as in many ways NZ`is a foreign country for me now - have only been back 5 times in 31 years. But you could call it a homing instinct - an age thing perhaps. Was bowled over when I went back for the first time in 16 years in 2004. Things have moved on a lot since I left in 76. A lot more cosmopolitan for one thing - well Auckland at least - which is a big plus for me. But the big thing was the sheer beauty of the country. I'd forgotten just how special it is. The laidback friendliness of the people also struck me. Now I can't wait to get there - hopefully this month some time.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Wow, that's an interesting perspective, coming from a Kiwi

Perhaps I missed it, but what part of the UK have you been living in? And what made you move away from NZ in the first place?

We hear about a lot of Kiwis who, for one reason or another, move away then return - although not many after 31 years

I've no doubt you will see huge changes in the country (maybe not all good either ), but I hope your longing for your home country turns out to be justified and right for you

It sure is a beautiful place and we have no regrets about moving here, having spent 30-odd years in the UK myself!

Welcome to the forum anyway

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Will certainly be interesting to hear your thoughts on your first few weeks back. When were you hoping to make it back or did I miss it?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

adc

Hi. No, haven't been living in the UK - apart from regular visits. As an intinerant English language teacher I've been living in various countries, mainly in the Middle East.
    It's partly job burnout as well as "living in foreign countries burnout" which is driving me back. A large proportion of NZ'ers leave to get what we call OE (overseas experience). They usually return after a couple of years but I guess I got stuck! Having had the experience of living in places where human rights are not respected, where there is little real religious freedom - and in that I include the right to not have a religion if that's the case - where there is little respect for the environment, zero freedom of the press and no right of public complaint, appalling corruption at all levels etc etc New Zealand really is a paradise. Just wish all NZ'ers could realise how lucky they are.
    Crime levels there worry me - ironically despite all the things mentioned above the M.E. ( war zones excluded) is remarkably safe - partly due to the fact that there is little alcohol fueled violence.
    Obviously there is no perfect place - but I think if you weigh up the plusses NZ does come up pretty high on the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast