Thread: Childcare

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Default Childcare

Hi All,

Just some general questions about childcare. At what age do they start daycare for children? What is the average cost per week? What hours do they normally have, ie., 8am-6pm? Trying to figure out how I am going to do shift work, nights and weekends, with a toddler at home...being a single mum. What would the cost of an au pair be, if we included room and board? Anyone considered bringing over an au pair from UK on a working holiday visa for this or would that not be allowed? So many questions...so little time! Sorry for rambling, just trying to figure out what I'm going do if I end up having to do shift work, which is most likely as I'm a hospitality supervisor!!

Although our girls are not toddlers, they are 9 & 10 - we have had similar problems. I start work at 6.30 and depending on Jackys shifts she is either 7am-3.15pm or 3-11pm at the hospital. After a bit of fine tuning, our girls go to a local kids care club after school ( $4.50/hr - each) until I pick them up at 5 or the daughter of a work mate of Jacky comes round to our house at 6.30am and keeps an eye on our two until they go to school ($10/hr). Kids care does open at 7am and they take the kids to school and pick them up after school too. They are really geared uo for it all. Within a 10 minute drive there are 4 or 5 similar schemes. They all run holiday programs too - which would appear to be a lot more fun than any activities mum & dad dream up. Our two want to go to kida care in the holidays even when we are off!

Hope this gives you some peace of mind!

Cheers

Nick
    Last edited by nick_and_jacky; 17-06-2007 at 01:09 PM.

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy Girl View Post
    What would the cost of an au pair be, if we included room and board? Anyone considered bringing over an au pair from UK on a working holiday visa for this or would that not be allowed?
    Hi there, I am afraid an au pair/nanny is probably out of the question. Here are rates I found at KiwiOz Nannies:-

"These vary depending on hours required, and the nannies experience and qualifications. The following rates can be used as a guide:

Daily or live in nanny $15 - $22+ per hour*
    Mothers help* $10 - $14 per hour*
    Babysitter (evenings only) $14 per hour

*If live in a set amount is then deducted each week for food and board e.g $150 per week."

Nannies can be brought over on a working holiday visa.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    Hi there, I am afraid an au pair/nanny is probably out of the question.
    Crap! Well, it's going to be interesting then isn't it...

Brucey is offline Junior Member

Hi,

We have a 3 & 5 year old and we have gone through the Au Pair route and it was the best thing we have done when it comes to childcare. We pay $190 per week (which is generous...so costs could be less) We have no rushing around in the mornings, trying to get the kids ready as well as ourselves...no rushing home from work and most importantly knowing that the kids are happy and at home.
    Our Au Pair keeps the house clean during the week ,does the kids washing and sometimes cooks dinner for us coming home!!!!!
    We went through an agency and we are looking for our next au apair as our current au pairs visa runs out soon.
    Best chldcare we have ever had!!!

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Good morning Brucey,

Wow! Maybe an Au Pair is not out of our reach (Bermy Girl and I). It is a shame you have to look for a new one as your present one sounds ideal for you. Can she not get a new visa? Would be great if you could tell us the name of the agency you are using. Is she a live-in?

Thanks again for the info.

All the best,
    Shell

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Brucey,

Just wanted to say to MoveToNZ. Great to have another 'insider' with us, imparting some really good information direct from source.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
    We went through an agency and we are looking for our next au apair as our current au pairs visa runs out soon.
    Wow, that's fantastic Brucey! That sounds like the perfect solution for Shellbda and I, especially if I end up working shift work, which is most likely. Where are the au pairs usually from and do they have previous experience and training? Really would be great! Thanks for the info...

Brucey is offline Junior Member

Our Au Pair is from Denmark and she speaks fluent english. The au pair agency we went through usually have au pairs from Sweden. We could only find 1 au pair agency in NZ and they have only just started up this year! Mind you not many kiwis know what an au pair is!!!!!
    The agency do all the police checks, medical reports obtains references and they have someone in Sweden who interview the au pair face to face. You can specify that you want an au pair who has childcare quals, but there are not many with quals because then they are effectively Nannies who cost roughly $12+ per hour here in NZ.. Most of the Au Pairs are 19 - 25 years old who are taking a gap year.
    If anyone want the name of the agecy we used just PM me.
    Roll next year when my kids will be both at school and our childcare cost will be cut in half!!!!!!!!!