Thread: Sky TV

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Sky TV

I have read in other threads that you can get broadband set up temporarily in rental property but as I will be moving with OH and 2 teenage boys at the beginning of the UK football (sorry 'soccer') season , the thought of them not getting to see a game for at least 6 months is disastrous. Almost enough for them to want to stay in the UK and join me later. Is it possible to get sky tv set up in a rental for a short period of time - 3-6 months?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicky,

This is the Sky website for NZ with prices of their different packages. Perhaps it will tell you something on there about the kind of set up you'd like to have.

When the NZ contingent wakes up, maybe someone can fill you in with more detail.

Edited to add: I found this where, at the bottom of the page, it mentions about a minimum 12 months subscription and an early disconnection fee. This is for Sky Digital. I don't know what it would be like if you wanted to swop to another house or even if this is possible. (Can you tell we've not had a TV in many years so I have no idea about these things ).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi there!

Firstly, the minimum subscription period is 12 months. If you unsubscribe before then you will be charged a penalty proportionate to the remaining term of the contract - probably between $100-150.

Secondly, you can transfer your Sky subscription to your next property (something I am sure you will do!). In that case, if there is a satellite dish already on this next home you just take your decoder and cables with you and plug into the exisiting system. If there is not a satellite dish there, then there is a $79.90 charge.

I know all this as I am shortly moving out of my rental to a new house. The online help pages help a lot - Find Answers (Page 1 of 23)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Just a few quick points - firstly, if there is not already a Sky dish at the property you'll be renting, you'll need to make sure you get the written permission of the landlord to have one installed. Have a word with the agent if you're not directly in touch with the landlord and they can sort it out for you

Secondly, it depends what games your boys want to watch as to whether they'll be shown on Sky TV here - things like the FA cup rounds, premiership games and major competitions are sometimes shown, but anything else isn't usually available. I think they sometimes show the games on a channel called ESPN (a free channel available through Sky) but the majority of any matches they do show are on Sky Sports 1,2 or 3. Otherwise, if the matches aren't broadcast, you might be lucky and get a quick mention at the end of the international news!

Who do they support? My son supports Cardiff City and one of the main reasons he wouldn't come to NZ to live (or even to visit!) is that he'll miss all of their matches and, as he openly admits, football is his life and the thought of missing even one game fills him with dread!
    Last edited by Welshgirl; 04-06-2007 at 01:53 PM.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

We were in a rental property for 2 months and were fine with taking our sky decoder to our new flat that we rented. It was a nice smooth process but they did have the dish there.

We also managed to get the Sky dish installed in our first property with no problem at all. We got verbal agreement from our landlord and off sky went and installed the dish. No questions asked, they're quite lax here on a few things....

You can also move broadband providing the next house you are moving to is set up with the same provider. Unfortunately when we did our move we didnt move to a home that was set up with the same provider so that was a bit of a pain but we found another provider that gave us a similar setup.

As for the footy well they'll love the early starts. Stu and I both regularly get up before work and watch the matches. Although they usually are repeated a few hours after the match at a more suitable time!!! tee hee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Who do they support? My son supports Cardiff City and one of the main reasons he wouldn't come to NZ to live (or even to visit!) is that he'll miss all of their matches and, as he openly admits, football is his life and the thought of missing even one game fills him with dread!
    OH supports Chelsea, one son supports Liverpool and the other one supports Man Utd. As you can tell I become a footy widow from Sept to May but they do let me watch Wimbledon in June - aren't they thoughtful

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilAmy View Post
    As for the footy well they'll love the early starts.
    HaHa - I can sympathise with that! My brother and his 4 mates recently visited us from the UK for a couple of weeks and on a few occasions, they all got up at the crack of dawn to watch a footie match I had to laugh at the 5 of them, all snuggled up on the sofa and chairs in their sleeping bags (winter here now, so bit cold at that time of day!) Oh, the dedication of you soccer fans

nicky, I have 3 lads, ranging in age from 12 to 16, and, last I heard, between them they support Man Utd, Arsenal & Chelsea - with a bit of Cardiff City thrown in for good measure (well, they do live there!).

Blog Entries

I can tolerate football but I really enjoy watching rugby. So when we finally get to NZ who knows - I might even become a rugby groupie