Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Tauranga!

Default Hello from Tauranga!

Well, thought I'd better add my wee tuppence worth and say a big hi from Tauranga! Can't belive we've been here for 10months now!!

We have now bought a house in Omokoroa, property prices are steep but we've managed to bag a house near the beach, 5 bed, loadsa garages, sounds flash but it's basically a do-up, looks like a giant shed really but hey, it's home!!!! Will try and upload some pics of us all and some of Maggiemoo as well but my track record with pics and uploading is not great!

We are managing (only just !) on Mike's salary but I make a bit of money selling my jewellery, will probably go and get a real job once youngest goes to school in August. All the girls totally love living here, I asked them tonight if they missed Scotland and the youngest piped up 'I miss haggis' (strange child) the other two looked blankly and said 'nah'!! Mike and I both love it here and hope to grow old and wrinkly in this beautiful country. We have made loads of friends and feel lucky to have settled so easily.

Mike is now in his 4th carpentry job since arriving, all moves have been for better money, he started off on $15 an hour and is now on $25 which is pretty ok. Things are done differently here and it's been a learning curve for him but it's all good! He's now a voluntary fireman in the village and is really enjoying it.

My Dad is recovering well from his throat cancer and both he and my Mum came over for 6 weeks in March, was fab to see them and spend time with them, my Mum drove me nuts with her fussing but at least the ironing got done . Seeing my Dad and what he's been through in the time since we left UK made me feel really guilty about being so far away (i'm an only child) but he is happy that we are happy and they are both hoping to come over here and live once Mike & I have been here the 3 years and try and sponsor them.

I've been on a bit of a downer since Maggiemoo went home and I miss her, I keep picking up my mobile to text her and then remembering the time difference

Dawn, was in PacknSave today and saw RED wine on sale for just over $5 a bottle!!!! Get over here girl!! Won't be long now! Look us up if you're planning to come over to Bay of Plenty!

Debd, don't go to Dunedin, come to Tauranga, we will set up a bead shop!!! Have found a couple of good Aussie wholesalers so will PM you with the details!!

Carolynne

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Great to hear you're doing so well, and the family has settled in (haggis aside!). And to top it all, you've bagged a sea front house!

There's quite a few folks over your way at the moment. You should all have a little get together, and see if you can front up to the 'Challenge' in the photos section!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh drat it! Went to post my reply and the Net cut out on me. Very slow and erratic connection today.

As I was trying to say....

Hey Carolynne, what a lovely post. Everything seems to be swimming along nicely for you all and such good news about your dad's recovery. Another set of parents who'd like to immigrate - here's to them . Your doer-upper sounds a bit of a challenger but it'll be fantastic to look back in later years and see what you've achieved. Very satisfying.

Sad that Maggie had to return to the UK when you were such good friends in a strange country, but let's hope she's settling down well now she's home again. At least she's got somewhere to head to if she manages to get back to NZ.

I can just see you and Deb in your bead shop, selling all sorts of lovely nik naks. What a great idea.

Really looking forward to seeing your pics. If you have any trouble uploading them, just give us a shout and we'll try to talk you through it.

Quickly copies this just in case the Net is down again :rolleyes:.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi Carolynne,

Nice to see you back and with good news to report We've had a few 'old' members reappear lately and we've been delighted to hear all their updates

So glad to hear everything is going your way, and especially that your dad has made a good recovery

Here's to a great future for you and the family

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Carolynne, I'll be baggin that red wine and heading in your direction girl! Will defo drop in whilst we're up there, PM me with your details. House sounds fantastic, you'll make it into what you want it to be, it only takes time. Really, really pleased that everyone's settled and so relieved to hear that your pa is doing well now. Great news that they want to head over too isn't it? It must have been upsetting for you when Maggie went home, text her anyway I bet she loves getting your messages. It'll be a way for her to keep memories close, I bet a week back in England and she'll feel like NZ was a lifetime away.
    Looking forward to meeting you both and your girls. It made me smile to see your name on a post
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello Carolynne,

Glad things are going well for you.

I can sympathise with your lil un on missing Haggis. I am missing it desperately.

We have ordered it in from Auckland and weren't impressed with it. Did get a nice one from Island Bay Butchers in Wellington which was OK and almost there but still not quite the same taste.

Still to try the shop in Dunedin which I have been told by some other Scots that it is the best in NZ.

Details for it are:153 Forbury Rd Saint Clair Dunedin Phone number: 0-3-455 0060 and they courier to you as well. We havent tried it yet but will do shortly no doubt

Alternatively get someone to nip into a Scottish Shop back home and send you a tinned one across. Mum's done that a few times and it makes doo as well. tee hee

Laura is offline Junior Member

Hi Carolynne

What a great post! We came to Tauranga nearly 8 months ago and can't believe where the time has gone either.
    Myself, hubby and our 2 young girls are all loving it here. We have bought a nice 4 bedroom home in Papamoa and have been so lucky to make some great friends here and to have such lovely neighbours. I still can't believe that we are only a 5 minute walk from such a wonderful beach.
    Its been a bit of a rollercoaster emotionally and financially at times, but I'm really glad that we are all feeling so settled now.
    I am sure that you must be missing Maggie so much since she went back to the UK. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to meet her in person but she sent me some wonderfully informative and light hearted emails, via another website, for which I was so grateful for. I'm just really sad that I never got to meet her - she sounds like a wonderful lady.
    Anyway, I've started rambling as usual but I just wanted to say that I am glad things are going so well for you and your family. I've sent you a PM with my contact details and hopefully we can get together for a coffee and some cake one day.

All the best

Laura

jimnshov is offline Junior Member

It's good to read that you are enjoying living in the Tauranga area.
    We should be arriving mid July, and have just booked a short term rental in Omokoroa.
    We visited last April and it is a beautiful spot. I can't wait to get back!
    I've been looking in on the forum over the last two years - it does help to keep you going.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    hopefully we can get together for a coffee and some cake one day.Laura
    Hey laura does that invitation stem to all scots coz I'm more than halfway there! My dad half Italian half Highlander, my mum 100% Glaswegian. We'll be over mid July and as I'm sure you'll understand eager to meet as many peeps as we can to help ease us into our new life
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Laura is offline Junior Member

Hi Dawn,

Yes the invitation applies to all!! I'm always up for a coffee - especially when its accompanied with some yummy cake!

I'm also partial to a drop of the old vino when I get the opportunity - which thankfully is quite often, and you are more than welcome to share a glass or two of that when you arrive over here too!

I look forward to catching up with you - Julys just around the corner now!

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast