Thread: House help

alldaybreakfast is offline Junior Member

Default House help

Hi, I currently live in Singapore where having live-in house help is fairly common. What are the rules regarding bringing my helper (Filipina) with me if I want to move to New Zealand?

FYI I am a Kiwi by birth but have not lived there in many years.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

to MoveToNZ, Alldaybreakfast. Good to have you join us.

, maids. A very difficult one as they aren't something that you come upon very often in NZ and, therefore, it's not an occupation that is in demand.

The great majority of people who immigrate to NZ have to do so by virtue of their skills taking into account the demand for these skills and qualifications in the country. It's often a difficult route to take and many fall by the wayside because they can't fullfil the points criteria that the immigration service (NZIS) throws at them. You need a certain amount of points to qualify to apply for residency and these are not always easy to come by. This is merely a long-winded way of saying that, unless you have something that NZ needs, it's very hard to get into NZ for a long-term stay. Your maid will not necessarily have anything that a NZer wouldn't have and NZIS prefer people to employ NZers before looking around for foreign workers to fill the slots. If they think a NZer could do the job, that's good enough for them. I fully understand your wish to bring your maid with you, but I think it would be very doubtful that NZIS would allow her in, long term, that is.

There are other ways of getting into NZ, but, there again, I don't think your maid's occupation will qualify her even to get a Work Permit. I'm very sorry I can't give you better news.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

MB is right, I don't think it would be permitted under any normal channels.

The only slim chance, and I mean really slim, is if she entered NZ as an employee of a relocating business (she's under your employ, and you are moving!). But, to be honest, I doubt that would fly either.

I think NZIS would most certainly be the best people to ask on that one.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

alldaybreakfast is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info...we'll have to do without if and when we do move i guess!