Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're going home!!!

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default We're going home!!!

Not sure exactly how I feel right now, but we have decided to head back to the UK in the middle of May - we both feel that its more sensible to go home now rather than in 10 months time when we would have been having to pack our life up here with a 3 year old, 2 year old and a 4 month old baby, and then fly home!! This way we can actually use the return half of the flight tickets we came out here on, and I only have to contend with 2 toddlers on the 24 hour flight!!

We have just had a wonderful few days away in Rotorua, Taupo, Napier and Gisborne, and its been lovely to see a bit more of this beautiful country, and Ken and I have both said that we will miss the wonderful scenery. Hopefully we will come back again on holiday in a few years time when the kids are older, and we can see all the bits that we haven't been able to afford to see thus far.

Its going to be a hectic (and probably highly stressful ) few weeks, but we will get through it. I just wanted to let you all know what we had decided, you've been a wonderful support through the whole process of getting out here and "settling in" - as I've said in previous posts I do not regret any of our decision to come out here, we have had a great year, and we have some wonderful memories, and if New Zealand is the right country for you its a great place to live.

Maggie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh Maggie, I have to say I'm sorry it's worked out like this, but, if it's what you want and what you're happy with then my sadness will be tempered by a large dollop of happiness for you all.

It just seems a shame when people have gone through such a big exercise, like moving to the other side of the world, with all the horrendous expense it involves, not to speak of wear and tear on the nerves, only to return back home again. Nevertheless, I'm sure you've seen a lot, learnt a lot and feel better for the experience, so there have been some major benefits for you. At least you'll be giving birth to your third child in the bosom of your family back home and will have plenty of support.

I hope you'll keep in touch with us and let us know your feelings at being back in the UK again. That is an important time, when you've lived in another country for a while and then returned to a past way of life. You've no doubt grown and changed as a person, having had to make a new life so far away from your roots and you may see the UK in a different light now.

I wish you all the very best in your decision and in your return to the UK and hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Maggie,

Yes, good luck with the move. You will certainly be going to the UK at the best month of the year! Guess it does make use of those return tickets ... though I think we all secretly hoped you would stay longer and hopefully begin to feel more settled.

Do keep in touch with us!

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Mags I'm picturing that little possum in Ice Age now when he and his brother walk off at the end and he thumps his heart and holds up 2 fingers in the peace sign - I got love for you sister.

Good luck with where ever your path next takes you on life's incredible journey and please do let us know how everything goes and if that bubbas a boy or a girl and how much they weigh and what colour their hair is and all of that malarchy. And we'll all sigh and hold a thought of you to our bosom and get an imaginary whiff of Johnsons baby powder and be happy for you where ever you are.

Take care of your family Maggie and NO REGRETS
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Good luck for your big move back.

You lucky thing, missing out on Winter here and getting what's supposed to be another glorious Summer back in the UK!

I am so glad you made the choice to come across and see what life here is like and have the strength to move on again. It takes a lot of courage to do that and I really admire that in you. Well done you!

Keep us posted with everything, keep smiling 8)

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It sounds like the experience was a good one, even though you decided not to stay. I rather wish I had given it a go when I was younger and more willing & able to travel lightly. Then I might not have had quite as many qualms. Sometimes I feel like a squirrel in the road: left-no, right-no, left-wait-aaah!

Best wishes with your return to Great Britain.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Maggie,
    Well good for you with your solid decision. And going before your baby is born sounds like a good idea because you'd be wishing the time to go faster once baby is here so you can get back home again with your family.
    The year goes so fast so I bet it feels so quick really doesn't it? Our 7 months here have flown in one way but then we have made so may great friends in that short space of time that makes it feel longer too somehow.
    I really don't envy you that hard slog of a journey though... not just the flight but all you have to do for your preparations!!! And being pregnant on top.... and two little ones??? Geeee, it'll be so nice once you're all back home and being pampered by family.
    I still don't know whether NZ is for us or not, it's hard to tell really. It's only just sinking in that we live here. I really hope that your move back will be easy on you and like Any said, how nice to go back for a summer in England, makes it all the more nicer really,
    good luck to you and your family,
    bless you all,
    love Debra, Eddie, Isaac and Eva Agnes xxxx

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Thanks everyone for your very kind and supportive messages - its wonderful to know that no-one is judging us on here on our decision to return to UK, its not been a decision we have taken lightly and we have weighed up all the pros and cons of NZ vs UK and at the moment UK has won for us. Who knows whether its where we will end up for the distant future, but we know that NZ is not "working" for us at this immediate time. We have both said that we will definitely return to NZ within the next 5-7 years for an extended holiday when the kids are that much older to be able to join in all the outdoor lifestyle activities that are available here, and when we have ?s in our pocket to pay the hotel and food bills!! :rolleyes:

We have been fortunate to be able to rent this lovely house out to some friends of ours who are here til at least the end of next year and who are being turfed out of their rental mid-May as its being sold from under them! We did look at selling rather than renting it out but by the time we paid estate agents fees ( ) and legal fees we would only just be getting back what we paid for it, so have decided to leave it for now and see how the market goes.

We have also managed to rent a house back in Salisbury, and its right next door to the house we sold to move out here!! The lady who owns it only uses it occasionally and offered it to us when I told her we were heading back - how could I say no?!

Both the cars are being sold at the end of next week, shipping quotes are coming in from Crown and Conroys (Pickfords weren't asked to quote!!!), best mate here is "Trade-Me-ing" all our unwanted accumulated stuff so I don't have the hassle of that before we head back, cats are being looked after by the friends we are renting house to so they can get all the jabs and tests done for their pet passports (it would have cost us approx ?350 per month in quarantine kennel fees back in UK, as well as the cost of getting them back to the UK - eeek!! so we figured it was best for all of us if they stayed here in the house they know with people they know until the 7 months was up and then they will be flown back to Uk to be re-united with us all).

Have booked flights back for 14th May - even managed to change the flight from being vis LAX to being via Hong Kong which is a huge relief as we were really not looking forward to transiting via LAX with kids in the middle of the night - we stopped over in LAX for 2 nights on the way out and that wasn't so bad as we could do things at our pace rather than being herded through as it sounds like it is when you are just in transit. Arrive back on 15th May just in time for hubby to be fitted for suit for the wedding that we are now able to go to on 19th!! We haven't told our parents and close family that we are heading home yet - we are going to arrange a time for a "webchat" with sister in law and mother in law at MIL's house and then turn up on her doorstep at that time!! still undecided about telling my Dad before we actually head home as he is pretty ancient and I'm not sure his heart would stand the shock of me appearing on his doorstep!!

So its been a hectic few days, but somehow hubby and I always manage to function more effectively when we have EXTREME time pressures. Sorry to ramble on (AGAIN!!), just wanted to keep you all updated with our progress!!

M x

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Good luck, Maggiemoo!

Here's to you:

Curiosity
    may have killed the cat; more likely
    the cat was just unlucky, or else curious
    to see what death was like, having no cause
    to go on licking paws, or fathering
    litter on litter of kittens, predictably.

Nevertheless, to be curious
    is dangerous enough. To distrust
    what is always said, what seems
    to ask odd questions, interfere in dreams,
    leave home, smell rats, have hunches
    do not endear cats to those doggy circles
    where well-smelt baskets, suitable wives, good lunches
    are the order of things, and where prevails
    much wagging of incurious heads and tails.

Face it. Curiosity
    will not cause us to die?
    only lack of it will.
    Never to want to see
    the other side of the hill
    or that improbable country
    where living is an idyll
    (although a probable hell)
    would kill us all.
    Only the curious have, if they live, a tale
    worth telling at all.

Dogs say cats love too much, are irresponsible,
    are changeable, marry too many wives,
    desert their children, chill all dinner tables
    with tales of their nine lives.
    Well, they are lucky. Let them be
    nine-lived and contradictory,
    curious enough to change, prepared to pay
    the cat price, which is to die
    and die again and again,
    each time with no less pain.
    A cat minority of one
    is all that can be counted on
    to tell the truth. And what cats have to tell
    on each return from hell
    is this: that dying is what the living do,
    that dying is what the loving do,
    and that dead dogs are those who do not know
    that dying is what, to live, each has to do.
    ?Alastair Reid

Now you've got a tale worth telling!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Maggie,

In case you manage to look in before you fly out on the 14th, just wanted to wish you all the very best for the journey home. Have a great life back in the UK and I hope it doesn't take you too long to settle down again.

We'll miss you on the forum, so don't forget to give us a shout from time to time to let us know how you're doing.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast