Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Mother's Day

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default UK Mother's Day

Just a reminder that you have ten days until the UK Mother's Day - Sunday 18th March - so get those cards sent off! ? ?:)

Our local Paper Plus puts the cards out on display, but if you are not so lucky, there is no excuse - just ask and they will get them out for you to look at!

UK Mothering Sunday is traditionally on the fourth Sunday of Lent (it seems to me you need a degree to understand all that). ?Last year it was 26th March, next year it will be the 2nd March. ?

A lot of countries, including the USA, Australia and New Zealand, celebrate Mothers Day on the second Sunday of May (the 13th this year) - so much more easier to remember! ?

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default Re: UK Mother's Day

cheers for the reminder, Glenda. ?Sadly my beloved mumma is no longer with us, but Ken's mum will be airborne on the 18th, arriving into Auckland at some unearthly hour on Monday morning ?::) ?No doubt I shall be sent out on Sunday to get some flowers and a suitable card, cos HE will have forgotten!! ?::)

Talking of Mothers Day, sorry to have been AWOL for so long - its been an eventful few months for us (house move, dad staying for a month, big debates about the financial implications for us about staying here, finding out I'm having baby no 3!!!!! ?:o not felt too good for these first few weeks, but hopefully I am over the worst of it - fingers crossed!!) So this time next year I can look forward to 3 Mothers Day cards!! hee hee!

Maggie xx

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Congrats Maggiemoo, I didnt realise you had another bambino on the way!

Hope all goes nice and smoothly for you and the last few weeks were the worst of it and the next few months will be a breeze ;)

Keep well!

Wow Maggie, a new baby! - congratulations! [smiley=eusa_dance.gif]

Glad to hear the sickness is subsiding, and I hope baby no.3 has not rocked the boat too much. With that, your father's visit and now another visitor - no wonder you've been busy!

Good luck and best wishes ... and keep your chin up!

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Maggiemoo, congrats on the news [smiley=026.gif] (I needed an excuse to use my bouncy blue smiley ;D) [smiley=Joyous.gif]

Sounds like you've been busy lately, so glad you've had time to pop in and share your good news with us :)

All the best with everything [smiley=003.gif]

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

sorry to have been AWOL for so long - its been an eventful few months for us (house move, dad staying for a month, big debates about the financial implications for us about staying here, finding out I'm having baby no 3!!!!! ?:o not felt too good for these first few weeks, but hopefully I am over the worst of it - fingers crossed!!) So this time next year I can look forward to 3 Mothers Day cards!! hee hee!

Maggie xx
    How cool is that!!! [smiley=058.gif] Fantastic news!! A new ickle bubba ;D So pleased for all of you Maggie. We have three, I think it's a good number to have, assuming you stop there of course!

Have you decided whether those three mothers day cards will be being delivered in NZ then? I know I'm nosey but..........well you're just so supportive on here, you should let us return the favour.

What did your dad reckon to the place?

Congrats again Maggie. Aren't babies great!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Aw bless you all with your lovely replies - we are really really pleased about the news of the addition to the family, but like I said morning sickness has been really really bad this time round (its gotta be a boy!! ?;)) and I had to have early scan to check that everything was as should be (got another one next Friday as well - $25 for a nuchal fold scan which cost us well over ?100 back in the UK with Frankie and Ollie) So all the excitement has been a bit tempered with not wanting to get my hopes up that all was progressing well.

Another major reason for being AWOL was lack of ADSL - Telecom still won't commit to when they are going to be upgrading the exchange for this subdivision, so we have gone with another provider who use satellite tech (I think!! ::)) Its all a lot more reliable now to get online and be able to stay online for more than about 5 mins which is what it was like with mobile broadband!!

Dawn - thanks for your message. ?Dad really liked the country I think, we didn't get to see much apart from the local area, Rotorua, Cambridge, Hamilton and Auckland while he was here, as I really wasn't feeling up to driving for hours with toddlers and hideous morning sickness!! ?;D ?He's a bit of an "Old-school" father in that he doesn't really have much to do with little kids, children should be seen and not heard and all that!! ?but he did enjoy seeing them and seeing how much they had grown. ?

and no worries about being nosey!! ?;D To be honest, we are probably going to return to UK in early 2008 (I would quite like to go back now but Ken wants to give his job a really good go as he is loving it, and its fantastic experience to have on his CV when we head back) ?Neither of us are sure that we want to go back to UK permanently, but we both know very definitely that NZ is not for us long term. ?Its a lovely country and I would love to explore more of it, I just think we came here at the wrong time of our lives and we didn't really do enough research about the financial implications - there are loads of other reasons, but I don't want to bore everyone with what is very much a personal family decision. ?We have made so many friends here from UK/Europe/USA/S.Africa who have found their utopia and the lifestyle here for them is everything they want and more, so it really is different for everyone, and I would NEVER try to put anyone off giving it a go.

Maggie xx

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie ... how can you give us such great news about your expected bubs and then tell us you are going back to the UK next year? [smiley=eusa_naughty.gif] [smiley=022.gif]

I am sure you have considered everything and, as you say, it is a personal decision. Do hope you have not been too homesick, though. [smiley=056.gif]

One thing I would say is - if you have some cash set aside, please consider making a holiday back to the UK before making the final decision. Have read so many experiences of people going back 'home' then wondering what on earth they had done. Maybe you have recently already done that, or your reasons take precedence. It is just that my parents did it twice when I was a kid, and we could not understand why the British Isles would beckon us back twice when we already knew we did not really like the place. [smiley=icon_confused.gif] My parents lost their residency due to the confusion of where they should live - something they still regret.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

I know Glenda, I'm such a wicked person ?::) ;D

I know what you mean about the ping-pongers, but to be honest I really can't see us coming back here for more than just a holiday - its just not us. ?I can't say I've been homesick, just miss certain people/things to do/shops (shallow but oh so true!) etc etc. We didn't leave the UK because we hated it or felt it was a bad place to bring up a family, we just fancied a complete change of scenery and lifestyle, which is what we have had, and to be honest it just isn't really "us". ?The reason we are staying here until Feb 08 is to ensure that we will be eligible for IRRV so that in the (very unlikely! ?:D) event that we do decide to come back we will be able to do so with ease, and it also means that the kids will be able to come back when they are older should they decide to (of course little 'un will also have a kiwi passport if he/she is born here)

Maggie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Maggie

Trying to type this with a cat on my lap isn't easy, but just wanted to add my congratulations on your happy news. Bad news about the morning sickness though [smiley=Sick.gif]. I can identify with that having had 24-hour sickness with mine - the memory still lingers. I had boys, but didn't realise there was a link between males of the species and the sheer hell of morning sickness. Had I known, I'd have cancelled my order and reordered girls instead. Still it's all worth it in the end.

Sorry to hear that you and NZ haven't quite clicked, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Glenda is right in saying that quite a few people have left NZ to return home and, within a very short time, have regretted that they didn't stay. However, that is something that you and Ken alone can make up your minds about and, whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck both with your return to the UK and the birth of your little one. When will he/she be born or have I missed it somewhere else on the forum? I don't think we've had a birth on the forum before. [smiley=Yahoo!.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast