Thread: Forced into private schooling

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Forced into private schooling

House prices force pupils to go private
    By RACHEL GRUNWELL - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 4 February 2007

Astronomical house prices in sought-after school zones are driving parents to private schooling.

They are finding the cost of private fees is often cheaper than buying inflated real estate in popular public school zones.,

As 756,000 children head back to school this week, a growing number are going private - following a trend in Australia.

Many of these families had felt defeated by over-priced houses in popular state school zones, as well as long waiting lists and unreliable ballots, said Joy Quigley, executive director of Independent Schools of NZ.

She said 30,000 children would be in 105 private schools this year - up from 25,000 in 2000. These figures do not include two new private Auckland schools opening this year, one in Mangere and another in Waitakere; a private Parnell college almost tripling its roll to about 1000 pupils; and the 66,000 students at Catholic schools.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Forced into private schooling

I wonder how the cost comparison comes out; living in a good school district vs. paying for private schooling. Over here, some private schools' annual tuition cost as much as a modest annual salary.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

flyboy is offline Junior Member

I wonder how the cost comparison comes out; living in a good school district vs. paying for private schooling. Over here, some private schools' annual tuition cost as much as a modest annual salary.
    Wanaganui Collegiate which rates in the top 4 schools in NZ costs $12,000 a year as a day student. The nearby Prep school costs $9,000 a year. This total wouldn't pay for 1 child at their old school in the UK. We can live wherever we like and drive them to school as opposed to having to be 'in the zone'.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

That's good news for parents. I think it's sad that public schools can't be good in all areas. We have the same sort of problems here in California. I don't think the system is well designed to really teach students. The administration's focus is on getting them to pass a standardized end-of-year exam.

I've been volunteering at the school down the street. I don't see their whole school day, but I am amazed at how rushed their time is when I am there. There are 30 of them to one teacher, so individual help is sparse. Fortunately there are a lot of "better students" who love tutoring their fellows. I love helping them out, too. Wish I had unlimited time to help more.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

duane1x is offline Member

The number is still low at 4% compared to the States at 10%. The news piece sounds a bit sensational.

I mean, if you're willing to move (if only the houses in that zone weren't so expensive), surely there are zones you can move where the public schools are okay. They can't all be bad except for these select few.

Can they?

Selchie what grade is that - 30 students is a lot. Here in TX the primary school state mandated max is 24. And even that can seem like a handful.