Thread: At last but further help required

justNoZi is offline Member

Default At last but further help required

hello everyone, been a while.

well thats me in Wellington. its great here, amazing city. loved Nelson,Napier and Christchurch too - but something really good about Wellington. maybe its the hills and the feeling/view you get after cycling to top of one or two of them phewwww!.

well update on situation.
    holiday is over and fingers crossed on renting a flat - should hear later today ( its been a struggle ) but getting there. :) After some help from here again on wellie suburbs and some hard cycling i think ultimately Hataitai, Evans Bay, Roseneath are perfect for me ( went thu Lil Amy/Glenda's post and visited Brooklyn, Kelburn, Thorndon also ) but short term i'll try a flay more central.

got a job start next week, actually had 3 job offers earlier in the week - so any IT dudes out there wondering how buoyant the market is then i'd say its pretty good eh. i dont even have the .net/java skills which seem to be in even more demand. anyways all good on that side of things.

so back to the home side of the things. my main question is - when can i apply for a home loan as this is my goal rather than renting. do i have to wait til get citizenship? or been here a certain amount of time? or been in employment so long?

i did try searching the forum but couldnt really find info - maybe down to time, cos i'm getting ready to go support my fellow Scots in the Rugby 7s - thats another sign of how much i'm enjoying this country ...i'm not even into Rugby ;D

well any help appreciated, thanks in advance again.

justnozi from sunny and not so windy today Wellie. :)

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Re: At last but further help required

Hi JustNozi,

I didnt realise you were a fellow Scotsman as well. Lets hope we put on a good performance today!

As far as I am aware you can get a home loan straight away. I met some real estate agents in Rotorua and I asked them about it as well and they said you dont need to be a resident to get a loan although it is risky obviously 8if everything falls through and you have to leave NZ. I dont know if the rates will be higher or what?

I know its the same with car finance. Friends on a 1yr WHV got finance on a car just last week as well. It was nice and easy for them. No big questions asked.

Glad you are enjoying Wellie. Today is lovely, looking forward to going home to Miramar after work and getting a BBQ on the go.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Great to hear that all's going well for you, Justnozi. [smiley=Thumbs_up.gif]

Sounds like you've found your niche in Wellie and many congrats on getting a job.

You don't need to be a citizen to buy a property in NZ, not even a resident. It's pretty straight forward as long as you have a job to help pay the mortgage.

Hope you've had some good news about the flat by now.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hi there,

thanks again. thats great news. got some more thinking to do over next or so then :-? think i'll look into a home loan soon - well after a short rental and time to get used to new job, etc.

thanks Lil Amy. yep, another scot over here - few of us eh :) youse been over here long? and well the rugby boys didnt do too bad, won 1 lost 2 ( and ssshhhhh one loss was to England ;) ) - but i kinda got the feeling the whole thing wasnt about rugby!! more to do with people just having a big party. great fun. more today.

Ah Miramar - that out airport way? nice there?

yeah MB, thanks, some slight delay on the flat but think its looking good. be monday now before i hear. hope i get it cos can only take Backpackers for so long eh ....think 2 months has been more than enough ::)

well thanks again, off for more rugby and a read of the dom post properties section hehe. take care

Hi,

Right I found out about the car loan for non -residents. As long as they agree to pay the loan out before their Visa expires they can get the car loan which is cool. I still dont know how this would work with a home loan tho?

Miramar is a lovely area. Pretty quiet where we are and everything you need on your door step. Bus service is amazing as well including 3 after midnight buses. Only down side is the noise from the airport but it makes me feel at home as Mum and Dad loved in Craigmount in Edinburgh on the flight path there and we got some plane noises. So quite homely for me tee hee.

hi,

thats me in my flat. 6 month lease in city centre flat. i really want out of town somewhere. like what i sa in Hataitai, but didnt get a chance to really look at other places and get an idea of them.

tho' last 2 Sundays i have been up Mt Vic taking in that awsome view of the city and just getting a general idea of where all these suburbs are. think i seen Miramar lil Amy - slightly nicer looking than edinburgh eh ....oh and well nicer than glasgow.
    ::)

well, off to the beach now and thats another great thing bout Wellie. as well as the views, people, cafes, restaraunts, sport, cycling, shops.... can you tell i'm liking it ;D

time to get back out in that sunshine. :)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

hi,
    thats me in my flat. 6 month lease in city centre flat. i really want out of town somewhere. like what i sa in Hataitai, but didnt get a chance to really look at other places and get an idea of them.
    Congrats on getting your flat. 8-) At least now you have a base you can venture out from in your own time and explore other areas you might like to settle. Much better than rushing into somewhere and regretting it afterwards.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Congraats on the flat!

At least it gives you time to look around and decide where you want to settle.

You cant miss Miramar, just look for the big airport landing strip from Mt Vic tee hee ;D

There are loads of nice wee surrounding suburbs and its hard to choose which one is the nicest/best. I think it all comes down to travelling times to and from the city centre. I think the further out you go the better public transport options.

We stayed in Kelburn for a bit and buses were a nightmare. It took 30mins door to door and that was either walking > cable car > walking or bus to work. From Miramar which is a few km's out of the city it takes the same length of time yet buses are more frequent and we even have a nightbus so no taxis - happy days!

Hope you enjoy Wellie...having the beaches so close by is great!