Thread: Fooled ya!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Fooled ya!

Wonder how long before everyone catches on. ::)

Cardboard cop car gets results
    By KARIN CHUG - The Nelson Mail | Wednesday, 24 January 2007

MARION VAN DIJK/Nelson Mail
    LOOKALIKE: Fulton Hogan's traffic management supervisor Mike Gibney is trying out a fake police car to slow down drivers near road works in the Nelson area.

A cardboard cutout police car is slowing traffic at Nelson roadworks sites in an initiative that roading contractor Fulton Hogan hopes to push nationwide.

The $1000 model has been used by the company for just over a week to prompt motorists to heed speed restrictions at state highway roadworks in the Nelson region.

Fulton Hogan's regional manager Tim Talbot said the idea originated out of concern that staff could be injured by speeding motorists.

"On Monday we had a van drive through a work site on Queen St (Richmond) and clip the finger of a guy using a rake. It was not accidental because the guy then yelled at him out of the window. People think they are having a bit of sport."

Staff were often injured by gravel sent flying when people drove too fast through roadworks, he said.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Re: Fooled ya!

What a great idea!

I rarely see cars reducing speed down to the 30km when there's road works on the go.

Let's hope it works

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Ha ha it still looks real to me!
    The Kiwi's have a very 'real' approach to road safety. There are signs here that read " There were 'X' amount of fatal crashes here this month"
    It does make you check your speed.

See that cardboard police car, thats mine thats mine that is!

I work for Fulton Hogan in Nelson and the police car has been used on the jobs I run.

Firstly, what people must realise is that they, as motorists, only spend 20-30 seconds in roadworks as they pass through. For the guys who work for me, they are in the roadworks for 8-9 hours a day. So safe traffic speeds are a must for us.

The cunning plan Mike Gibney has is to put the cardboard car on the site one day, and liase with the police so they put a real car & policeman in the same place the next day.....or do they, you never know & thats the key.

The photo is on a site at Hira (just north of Nelson). The day after the photo the police were there in person. They pinged motorists to the tune of $1,800 in one hour and ten minutes.

At the end of last week, we were working on a site on the Korere straight - 600m long in the middle of a 2km long straight. The cutout car was at the north end, drivers cursed at being "fooled" and quite often sped through the rest of the site at roundabout 50-70 kmh in a 30kmh restriction. What they didnt realise was that there was a real police car at the other end. Ker-ching $$$$$ for the police and plenty of de-merit points for the motorists.

Another sign we have is linked to s speed gun & it displays your speed as you approach it and also tells you the $ value of the fine you would get.

On a slightly lighter note, a Britz rental camper came through the works at 60kmh, we tried to slow them down because we had dug out 100mm of road and it was quite a drop. No, they sped on and hit the pothole at full tilt, the guy on traffic control at the other end of the works says they stopped and mopped the tea from the dashboard and windscreen along with changing their trousers. That'll bloody teach 'em! eh?

Its Nelson anniverary weekend and its piddling down - just like home. Bugger.

Cheers

Nick

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Another sign we have is linked to s speed gun & it displays your speed as you approach it and also tells you the $ value of the fine you would get.
    We have similar signs, but they only show the speed. I like the idea of also showing the fine.

In the US, we have decoy deer in deer-hunting season. This is because it's illegal to hunt near a road, and possibly even from a vehicle. Some decoys are also female, which are illegal to hunt at all. The game wardens catch a lot of naughty hunters that way.

On a slightly lighter note, a Britz rental camper came through the works at 60kmh, we tried to slow them down because we had dug out 100mm of road and it was quite a drop. No, they sped on and hit the pothole at full tilt, the guy on traffic control at the other end of the works says they stopped and mopped the tea from the dashboard and windscreen along with changing their trousers. That'll bloody teach 'em! eh?
    ;D Instant karma can be so satisfying (especially when it's someone else's). If those people were from the States, I wouldn't put it past them to try and sue for damages.

Hmmm, I wonder how mobile speed bumps would go over? They could be made of rubber in varying heights and widths for use with different speeds. If only I were good at inventing all my spiffy notions.

If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s