Thread: Sausages

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Sausages

I know there's a bit of bad feeling about the lack of decent sausages in NZ and the general opinion is that most of them are. I was wondering, however, if anyone has just happened to notice if there is such a thing as Filipino sausages on sale there. We could buy them in Kuwait due to the high percentage of Filipinos there, but can't get them here (although we still have a lot of Filipinos) >:(.

The sausages tend to have a pinkish tinge to them and are also known as longanisa/longaniza. Although they're nothing like a good old UK banger, they are very tasty in their own way and I used them a lot (my expanding waistline testified to that ). As there are so many Pacific Islanders and Asians in NZ it could be that they also consume this type of sausage. Would be interested to hear if anyone has come across them whilst out browsing through the supermarkets. We bought them fresh and frozen so can be either. It would be good to be reacquainted with them downunder.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Re: Sausages

Hi MB,

You're not kidding about the sausages here! They're not tasty whatsoever! We've been getting Venison Sausages as they have a nicer taste.

I did notice that a lot of the butchers across here sell sausages from around the world ei Borevors (cant spell - the Dutch/South African sausage). I'll keep my eye out next time we're in the butchers and let you know.

We've actually found the butchers sell much nicer meat compared to the Supermarkets .

Blog Entries

?I'll keep my eye out next time we're in the butchers and let you know.
    Thanks, Amy. On one occasion I had lunch with a Malaysian friend and commented on the tastiness of the meal (which was very much like the taste of the Filipino sausages). She said that they were Chinese sausages, cut up finely and mixed through fried rice. I looked those up on the Net but it said they were dried ones, so I don't know if there was any connection between the two types.
    Mother Bear

pianist1 is offline Member

Whew! I thought I was just being the nit-picky American who thought the sausages taste terrible! Glad to know I am not crazy! We bought a number of different kinds of fresh sausages and they were all yucky - hubby ate them regardless eventhough he wasn't crazy about the taste. I have actually thought of eventually go to the butcher to grind up some pork (butt) and make my own Italian sausages...they really aren't hard. My father-in-law is Italian and does this at home (in the US) sometimes. Back home, we used to make our own pizza sometimes and put this sausage (cooked and crumbled) on it as one of the toppings. Also, they have salami/pepperoni here that doesn't taste like the pepperoni on the US. Tried it on pizza last weekend - yuck.
    MB, btw I am ethnic Chinese....you can get Chinese sausages dried in most Asian food stores. They don't have to be refrigerated. They have some spices in them like "five-spice powder". Slice them on the diagonal, thinly (about 1/4 inch) and saute a little before adding to rice etc.
    Please anyone, if you find some tasty sausages please share your info!

Blog Entries

I wouldn’t mind trying to make my own sausages if I could find the casings. *No good trying to do it here, as pork is severely frowned upon, but will seriously consider it when we leave the Middle East.

Making sausages and Sausage recipes .

There must be one of us, at least, that can turn out a decent sausage. *Like the haggis on another thread, we could start up a business and probably make a fortune if the opinion of most immigrants to NZ is the same as expressed on here and I readily believe it is. *I have heard many complaints about them. *I think it's only London Pride (?) that's considered to be OK (by Brits, anyway).

I must look out some Chinese sausages when I visit NZ to see if they do taste the same as Filipino ones. *If they're successful and because they're dried, I could maybe smuggle some back into Oman.
    Mother Bear

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There are lots of "flavour" sausages around. Pork flavour, chicken flavour, beef flavour, meat and cheese flavour.....

What is the paste actually made of if it has to have the flavour added via chemicals.

Never tried any of the above but I do like the lamb sausages sold by Countdown/Woolworths and Hellers brand London style sausages are quite good as the meat content % is higher than the others.

Had some South African sausages and our SA host explained that a little fat is added to the minced pork to allow it to cook properly and not to increase profits.

Hellers middle bacon is the best I have found so far if you like a healthier breakfast

Blog Entries

What is the paste actually made of if it has to have the flavour added via chemicals.
    Hatter, best not to ask. *

Must say I’m very suspicious of anything that purports to be flavoured to taste like something else. *I can handle things like beef or chicken flavoured crisps etc. no problem, but when it comes to beef, chicken or whatever flavoured meat, that’s stretching it a bit far. *The meat, if that’s what you’re getting, is supposed to taste of itself, surely? *

But then, if you read this from another thread, you’ll understand why the ‘meat’ products don’t actually taste like meat. Just how tasty can muscle, skin, snouts and other animal body parts that don’t bear thinking about, be without serious help from outside elements?

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. * *
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I think my OH might have found a calling in NZ. She's been wanting to learn to make sausages (she does well with cooking in general), and this could be her motivation. She definitely has German blood - she adores sausages. Maybe she can expand her beer brewing, too. We could use the crew here for taste testers, especially for such national delicacies like bangers.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s