Thread: Semi Skimmed Milk???

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Semi Skimmed Milk???

Well it's in the title! I cannot find it! There is full bodied milk, then there is lean 98.5% fat free milk, (skimmed)... then there is 99.9% fat free milk! Hey??? Well what about us inbetweenies? Does it exist here in NZ anybody please?
    I can't stand the above, I feel like Goldilocks!

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Semi Skimmed Milk???

I buy 'lite' milk from foodtown or pak n save. It has a light blue lid on it............it tastes ok. I think the skimmed version is 'trim' and that has a green lid.

Fisheress

Hi fisheress,

That's the one we get but it's still 98.5% fat free... almost see-through!! Ha

Debd I have reverted back to using the full fat version........................................... ..no wonder I need the shoe horn to help me in my jeans ;D

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There is such a thing as semi-skimmed milk in NZ, but it's very difficult to track down brand names or evidence of what they call it down there. ?This is the closest I've come (check out the colour of the bottle top - it's a photo entitled 'half-empty semi-skimmed milk bottle'), despite several tempting leads that turned out to be duff. ?A couple of 'milk facts' as well that I picked up along the way.

'Children under two should not be given semi-skimmed milk and children under five should not be given skimmed milk because it lacks the fat soluble vitamins A and D. Young children also need the energy from fat. Soya milks should be fortified with calcium, vitamin B12 and vitamin D if used as an alternative to cow's milk for young children'.

'SEMI-SKIMMED COW'S MILK

Calories per pint: 255. Fat per pint: 9.9 grams.

Semi-skimmed milk is created by skimming cream from whole milk, producing a more watery liquid. Because the creamy part contains the fat-soluble vitamin A, it may be necessary to boost intake from other sources, such as carrots.

Like whole milk, semi-skimmed and skimmed contain valuable amounts of all the B vitamins, phosphorous and zinc.

However, if you buy milk by the bottle, rather than the carton, it can lose more than half of its vitamin B2 content if it is left outside and exposed to daylight.

Those who are intolerant of the milk sugar lactose are vulnerable to reaction regardless of the type of cow's milk they drink.'

Looking at Foodtown they aren't giving anything away as to what's skimmed and what's semi. ?Enter 'milk' into the search box and there's several options where you can click to see all the milk types they have on offer. ?They obviously expect you to know what colour represents what type. ? ::) At least you can see how many varieties are available.

In desperation, if you buy a lot of milk, have you thought of buying both full-cream and skimmed and adding one to the other until you get a taste that you prefer? ? :-/
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Deb

Hadn't realized the lite wasn't half and half...............hadn't even noticed it tastes any different!!! [smiley=053.gif]But just think...........it's bikini weather soon and you'll be nice and slim, eating icecream everyday down the beach to make up for it! Everyones a winner. ;D

It's not the kind of thing you can ask any one visiting to bring either!!!! My youngest asked his nana to bring a suitcase full of muller crunch corners in December!!!! How we laughed! [smiley=082.gif]

Fisheress

Thanks fisheress and motherbear!
    Hey good idea about mixing MB!! Hadn't thought of that. It's not that I drink loads of the stuff, just once a day on the cornflakes!
    And Fisheress, I won't be wearing my bikini this year with or without semi- milk!!! I'm afraid it'll take alot more than cutting out fatty milk to achieve that one, ha!
    tThanks for the input folks! x