Thread: Spuds

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Spuds

As a matter of interest, do you have a variety of different potatoes on offer in NZ? ?I ask as we only have one type here, take it or leave it. ?Having said that, we can sometimes get lovely little new potato type things from India called chat potatoes which are great boiled and eaten just on their own. ?A very thoughful spud for those of us who spend most of our time on a diet. ? ::)

In the UK you can get spuds that are best meant for baking, ones for chipping, ones for mashing etc. ?Wondered what the state of play is down there, although we might well consider growing our own as there was a good turn out from the little veggie patch when we first took over the house, so it's a great encouragement. ? 8-)

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Spuds

Hi Mother Bear,

Spuds are not our most favourite vegetable but from what I have seen in New World there are bags with different types (names unknown) and advice as to whether they are better for, say, salads and roasting, boiling and mashing etc. Haven't seen any new potatoes ... then again haven't paid too much attention. Hopefully, someone else will know!
    :-/
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Thanks, Glenda. Sounds like there is a choice. At least, with only one type on offer here, I don't have to dither about which sort to buy. It's that or nothing, but fortunately they're pretty decent potatoes although a bit 'dry' for baking unless you slather on loads of butter or other creamy substances. Bad, bad, bad!
    Mother Bear

Lou
    Lou is offline Junior Member

Hi MB, yes there are different spuds for baking, chipping, boiling and mashing! I would also recommend kumara roasted or baked and you can buy kumara chips from the chip shop which are divine [smiley=eusa_drool.gif]

Louise

Blog Entries

Thanks, Lou. That's interesting to note. Guess you have to have a bag of tatties for chips, another one for bakers, another one for boiling. :-? It's much simpler here with only one variety and that's your lot, but sometimes they're a bit lacking when you want a nicer baked tater and these are a bit dry and don't quite have the flavour.

Kumara chips.... yes, heard about them and definitely have put them on my list of things to sample when I'm down that way next March. Bang goes the diet again. ::)
    Mother Bear

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Ooh that was food for thought!!

Kumara, must look for those! Thanks