Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orthodontists

Default Orthodontists

Hi folks!

Got a big shock today!! ?My twelve year old had already started treatment in the UK for orthodontic work on her teeth but her NHS orthodontist had advised me that Erin only had about 6months left of treatement so we had hoped when we arrived here that it wouldn't be too pricey for the remainder of her care.

Visited a lovely bloke in Tauranga who is a Brit who's married a kiwi, had a really flash state of the art practise (humph must be well paid eh!!) Anyway he advised that Erin would need at least another 9 - 12 months treatment to give her a perfect smile and the quote came through the door today at $3000!!! ?Blinkin hell, nearly fell over!

Anyway, it has to be done and we don't in any way grudge my girl a nice smile but I just wanted to pre-warn anyone who is poised to come out with kids around Erin's age to be aware that this kind of treatment is not cheap. ?Think it averages out at about $5000 depending on what's needing done. ?So if you're coming over from the UK, might be worth staying there a wee tad longer to get the teeth done there eh!!!

Anyway, not all doom and gloom, we love it here!!!!

Carolynne

driver is offline Member

Default Re: Orthodontists

Hi fingerscrossed, I took my son to probably the same bloke yesterday, fish tank in the "operating room" our treatment is going to cost $5000 or so. :( what a nightmare, but after having put our eldest son through it already in the UK i know its worth it in the end.
    Doesn't help with the thought about how much of it is profit though.
    Might see you in the waiting room one day.

;)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Crikey, sounds like the Tooth Fairy won't be getting much of a haul in NZ. All the parents' funds are going toward saving for orthodontic treatment.

Hi Driver, good to see you're still around. Hope all is going well for you since your move down under. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

If there are any orthodontists out there ... move to Northland.

I have had to wait three months for one to see my daughter. He saw her on Wednesday to say "yes, she needs braces, and four teeth out to make room". Now we have to wait until late March for her to have x-rays. Goodness knows when she will finally get her braces!

:(
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

?Goodness knows when she will finally get her braces! ?
    By the sound of it, probably about the time she needs to be measured up for dentures and then you can start all over again. ? ;D
    Mother Bear

By the sound of it, probably about the time she needs to be measured up for dentures and then you can start all over again. ? ;D
    Crikey ... I mustn't let her see that, MB. [smiley=eusa_shifty.gif]

The poor mite has hypoplasty (sp?) and has to brush several times a day. Her paternal grandmother had it ... and falsies at 24 years of age! Have been advised not to let daughter have metal braces, due to her teeth, and she will have invisalign -plastic moulded braces which cover the teeth.

:)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I have had to wait three months for one to see my daughter. He saw her on Wednesday to say "yes, she needs braces, and four teeth out to make room". Now we have to wait until late March for her to have x-rays. Goodness knows when she will finally get her braces!
    She gets her new braces in June. Cost $6625. On top of that I have paid a $64 consultation fee.

Tomorrow she will have two teeth out and two further teeth out next week (to make room for the braces) at an agreed total cost of $500. Apparently, she could have had all four teeth out at once under general anaesthetic (around $1,000 extra), or have an IV sedative (around $500 extra).

Orthodontal and dental treatment is not cheap here.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

hey carolynne, where y bin?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Blog Entries

Dawn, take a peek at the date of Carolynne's post. Glenda was just adding relevant info to an older existing thread about dentists.
    Mother Bear

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Second correction in just 10 minutes!!! OK so I really am asleep today
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast