Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Grocery Costs

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default General Grocery Costs

We thought we?d do a bit of research while in Rotorua. Hee is a small shopping list and how prices compare at the different supermarkets.
    Item Pak ?n? Save Countdown Woolworths New World
    Apples per Kg 1.07 1.97 1.98 2.50
    Potatoes (10kg unwashed) 6.99 6.95 7.97 6.95
    Cauliflower, each 3.49 4.97 4.97 4.95
    Chicken Legs per kg 7.99 6.95 5.99 6.99(thighs)
    Rump Steak per kg 15.99 14.99 15.99-17.99 *8.99
    Whole Chicken 6.97-9.99 7.75-12.00 6.99-2.00 7.99-1.49
    Mince per kg 7.99 7.99-9.95 9.99-11.99 *5.99-13.49
    Sausages per kg 7.00-.900 8.00-9.00 8.00-9.50 9.19-9.99
    Tinned Toms 55c 79c 1.15 62c
    Brown Rice 500g 79c 95c 1.06 80c
    400ml Herbal Essences Shampoo 6.99 6.75 6.77 7.29
    1kg Persil Sensitive Powder 5.65 4.79 *4.75 5.95
    Frozen Peas 2kg 3.49 3.99 4.70 3.99
    Vogels Bread 2.79 3.20-3.70 3.65-4.12 3.65-4.05
    1tl Lite Anchor Milk 1.79 1.85 2.05 1.95
    12 Eggs 2.65 2.89-4.70 2.99-3.47 2.20-3.65
    Total 84.32 89.64 96.97 82.47
    Notes:
    * - Specials
    ? Where there is a price range the approximate middle value is taken
    ? New World?s lowest result is probably due to the specials on meat
    ? The cheapest washing powder is Surf or Cold Powder.
    ? Pak ?n? Save like Aldi or Lidl. Lots of nice looking fruit and veg. Good stacked very high. Bit of a warehouse feel. Pay for bags and pack them yourself. Lots of staff.
    ? Countdown like older Tesco?s or Asda. Not so much fruit and veg, not so nice looking, large gaps on shelves (which we later found might be due to the strikes). Lower ceiling, more open feel. Less warehousey.
    ? Woolworths like newer Tesco?s. better fruit and veg than CD. One card loyalty card with discounts, offers etc. Signature range it like Tesco Finest.
    ? New World like Waitrose/Sainsbury?s, more upmarket (tho not in Opotiki), cleaner feel. More UK like (if thats what you after).
    ? You also have Foodtown between Pak ?n? Save and Countdown but we didn?t find one of them.

Hope this is of help to some. HFW

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default Re: General Grocery Costs

B*gger, table didn't come our but u get the drift.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Very useful info, Helen. I tried to straighten up the table but, although it looked great in the message box, when I previewed it, it looked the same as it does on the post. Awkward s.o.b.

Might be good if a few others could post a shopping list or two, to give everyone an idea of a weekly shop in different areas. Possibly Auckland and Wellie might be a tad more expensive than some other places. This sort of info will form the backbone of all our household financial situations when taken into account with rent/rates/mortgage and utility bills.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Gosh, you've been busy with your research Helen. ?Must have taken some time collating all that information. ?[smiley=smiley20.gif] ?

I think different areas have different stories to tell. ?Here in the Bay of Islands where we are four hours from Auckland and there is only two supermarkets, ?prices here can alter considerably from week to week, sometimes day to day. ?Of course there are the offers - which are clearly advertised, but many items suddenly increase and decrease in price. ?Probably due to supply and demand. ?For example, it is a good pork week in our local New World - prices are reasonable and there are many different cuts. ?Chicken however, normally very reasonable, has gone up in price. ?Fruit and vegetables also go up and down without regard for the special offers. ?You really have to know and watch the prices as one day you can go home with a head of brocolli for $1.49, the next it is $3.49. ?

On my New World shopping list today:-

Coca Cola/Sprite 2.25L ................ $2.39 (on offer from $2.99)
    Spring Water 3L ?......................... ?$1.99
    Ribena Concentrate 1L ................. $9.79
    Boysenberry Jam ........................ ?$1.99
    Eggs (8's) 10pk ........................... ?$2.49
    McCain Beer Battered Fries .......... ?$2.91 (on offer from $4.15)
    Watties Peas 1kg ........................ ?$1.89 (on offer from $3.25)
    Ice Cream 2L ............................. ?$2.49 (on offer from $3.17)
    Yoghurt 6pk ............................... ?$2.99 (on offer from $4.29)
    Milk 2L carton ............................. ?$1.89
    Fresh rolls 6pk ............................ ?$2.15
    Potatoes 5kg (unwashed) ............. ?$3.89
    Carrots 1.5kg ............................. ?$3.39
    Apples (Braeburn) 1.5kg ............. ?$5.83
    Sliced bread ............................... ?$1.89 (on offer from $2.89)
    Muffin mix .................................. ?$3.49
    Tegal Cooked Hot Chicken ........... ?$9.50
    Beef Schnitzel 0.7kg (6 pieces) .... ?$7.93
    Duck ......................................... ?$18.00 (reduced from $21.99)

I'll add another list in a few days time. ? ::) ;D
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

I agree with Glenda about the huge price ranges there can be from week to week/even day to day for the same item. ?I seem to be in the supermarket twice or three times a week when back in the UK I could do a shop that would last 7-10 days. ?I also don't have a preferred supermarket here, I just tend to do the shop in the one nearest to where I am at the time when the kids are at their most amenable to being stuck in a trolley. ?Today I did a "minor" shop at Countdown (had already done big shop at New World at the weekend!) and still spent $166!! ?:o

Kids Cookie bear biscuits - $1.99 (down from $2.54)
    Fajita seasoning - $2.99
    Noodles - $0.99 (down from $1.35
    Afghan biccies (for the grown ups!) x 2 - 3.98 (down from 5.02
    Baby wipes - 2 packets of 80 - $12.70 (these are SOOOOO expensive here)
    Just juice (drink for me and Frankie as we shopped!!) - 2.19
    Baby milk (2 tins of Karicare Follow on - 900g) - $27.50
    Old el paso sauce - $4.85
    Old el paso tortillas - $5.68
    ricicle cereal - 2.39
    Nappies (4 packets of 16 nappies and these were on offer :o :o :o) - 51.16
    2 tins of watties baked boston beans - 4.00 (special offer)
    2 loaves of ploughman's bread - special offer 4.50
    diced pork - 8.50
    baby carrots - 2.98
    half melon - 2.29
    3 kg potatoes - 4.94
    4 litres milk in 2 litre containers - 6.00
    fish fingers - 4.99

to be honest I think the same basket would have cost me around 50 quid in the UK - I really don't find shopping here any cheaper than in the UK, but then I'm not prepared to skimp on quality of nappies, baby wipes, baby milk etc and that is really what bumps our shopping costs up. ?We are dipping into savings to fund our day to day living here but we should be getting family assistance through soon which might relieve some of the financial pressure.

Hope this info helps a bit

Maggie

Blog Entries

Thanks very much, ladies. ?This is a very interesting and useful thread. ?I'm busy picking out all the items we're likely to be shopping for when our turn comes. ?In that way we can gauge how a weekly food bill might pan out. ?Looks like the specials are worth looking out for.

I hear that shopping for fruit and veg in places like the Farmers' Market is much cheaper than at the supermarket. ?Have you found this or do you tend to do a one-stop-shop in the supermarket? And the butcher's....would it be much cheaper to shop there instead of buying meat in the supermarket?

Thank God I don't need nappies!
    Mother Bear

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hi MB - must admit I do tend to do a one stop shop at the supermarket as it's easier to get the kids out the car once rather than in-out-in-out to go to the butchers, the veggie shops, the bakery - there aren't many places round here where you can get everything in the same area. The butchers and veggies shop do work out a little bit cheaper, depending on what you are buying, but I figure that the extra petrol costs might not make it worth my while, but that is just my opinion Maybe if I didn't have such tiny kids I might be more amenable to shopping around.

Maggie

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

We have one butchers and a farmer's market on Sundays. The butcher is slightly cheaper than the supermarket, but not much. Must say that I don't go to the farmer's market much as few items are particularly cheap - the best deals are on citrus fruit and I have enough of that in my garden. A lot of people treat the farmer's market as a social outing.

Here's a few more items from our local New World supermarket:-

Head of broccoli ????????.........1.99
    Frozen Sweetcorn 500g?????....?1.99
    Beef sirloin (four pk) ??????.......8.60
    Heinz Ezi-Squeeze Ketchup 500ml ..3.39
    Bisto gravy powder 200g ?????...1.99
    Chicken Tonight 520g jar ?????...2.79
    Creamed rice 420g (tin) ??????..1.39
    Coffee 100g jar ? ????????......5.69 (on offer from 7.50)
    Vienna poppy-seeded loaf ????.?2.15
    Sultana scone ??????????.........85c
    Cream crackers 250g ???????...2.09
    Golden Crunch cookies 350g ????1.99 (on offer from 2.99)
    Gingernuts 250g ?????????......1.39 (on offer from 1.80)
    Finish dishwasher powder 2kg ???.7.49 (on offer from 7.99)
    Finish rinse aid 250ml ??????......4.69
    Lightbulb 60wt ?????????........ 1.20
    Budget toilet tissue (12pk) ?????.3.89 (on offer from 4.69)

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Hidden fees hit shoppers
    11 November 2006
    By JOHN HENZELL

New Zealand shoppers are getting hit with $10 million a year in unnecessary and hidden fees, the Commerce Commission says.

Visa International, MasterCard International and most of the country's big banks and lenders failed to heed warnings about their fees, which result in price rises for everyday goods and services, and now face prosecution.

When the companies failed to lower the levy ? known as an interchange fee and built into prices ? as their Australian counterparts did, the commission filed civil proceedings in the High Court in Wellington for alleged anti-competitive behaviour.

If the Commerce Act accusations are proven, the court can impose penalties of up to $10 million per breach, or three times the commercial gain or 10 per cent of the companies' turnovers.

New Zealand Retailers' Association chief executive John Albertson said the association had been pushing for the commission to step in to ensure credit-card fees matched the cost of doing business.

"We think it's high time this was reviewed. We want it to be transparent and justifiable," he said. "This is a pretty significant cost to retailers because, of course, the fees are a percentage of the transaction."

Interchange fees are up to 1.8 per cent of the $22 billion Kiwis spent on their credit cards in the year to September. The market is dominated by Visa and MasterCard.

Commission spokeswoman Kate Camp said interchange fees could not be charged directly to shoppers as a surcharge, but they were built into the price of goods and services.

"This increases the cost of every item or service sold by businesses which accept Visa or MasterCard," she said. "All customers of those businesses bear that averaged fee, regardless of whether the customer pays by credit card, cash, eftpos or another payment method."

She said the commission had been watching overseas action on interchange fees before filing the claim in the High Court.

In the United States, the fee was the subject of a class action by retailer WalMart. Across the Tasman, the fee was reduced to about half its level after the Australian Reserve Bank issued a standard on interchange fees, determined by the cost of processing, authorisation, fraud, fraud prevention and funding interest-free periods.

A similar investigation is under way by Britain's Office of Fair Trading. In New Zealand, Visa and MasterCard have 2.1 million and 900,000 cards respectively.

Camp said the commission did not allege the two companies colluded with each other on interchange fee levels but claimed the price fixing was between each credit-card company and their respective shareholder financial institutions.

The companies named in the commission case are Cards NZ Ltd, Visa International, MasterCard International Inc, ASB, BNZ, Westpac Banking Corporation, Westpac NZ Ltd, ANZ, TSB, Kiwibank, HSBC, New Zealand Post, The Warehouse Financial Services Ltd and GE Finance and Insurance.

Albertson said the interchange fee had been 0.93 per cent in Australia but was dropped to 0.5 per cent when its Reserve Bank stepped in and set the standard.

If the fee was cut from 0.93 per cent to 0.5 per cent across the board in New Zealand for the $22b spent on credit cards each year, retailers would save about $9.5m. ?

- The Press
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Food prices inch up in October
    1.00pm Monday November 13, 2006

Food prices increased 0.3 per cent during October, mostly driven by higher prices for meat, poultry and fish.

Releasing the latest food price index today, Statistics New Zealand (SNZ) said that for the year to October, food prices rose 4 per cent.

During October the price of poultry rose 2.7 per cent, the price of lamb 5.8 per cent, beef 1.6 per cent and pork 5.5 per cent.

Prices for grocery food rose 0.4 per cent and restaurant food and read-to-eat food rose 0.2 per cent.

Fruit and vegetable prices eased 1.3 per cent in October and non-alcoholic beverages eased 1.5 per cent.

On an annual basis, prices increased for all subgroups with fruit and vegetables rising 17.7 per cent, restaurant meals and ready-to-eat food rose up 3 per cent and the meat, poultry and fish category was up 3.3 per cent.

- NZPA
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast