Thread: DIY and house renovation

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default DIY and house renovation

We bought our house about a year ago now and have pretty much stripped it out and are re-fitting everything (bit by bit when money allows!)

Thought it might be useful to give a guide of what things cost if anyone else is wondering!

So here goes...

Bought our Kwik-Fit kitchen from Placemakers (like a B&Q kitchen you fit yourself). Our kitchen is about 5 metres long by about 3 metres wide. We bought base cupboards, a pantry, single row floor to ceining wine rack (essential!!), a microwave unit, 4 wall cupboards, benchtop (about 4 - 5 metres from memory - think it was $90 per 2m length...), sink unit and end panels, kickboards etc, and I think it all cost around $4k - $5k for it all. We fitted it ourselves and it looks really good!

You can get companies to fit your kitchen for you but our neighbours just did this and it cost them about $10k or $15k! Save the money and fit it yourself. It's dead easy - it's all flat packed and so long as you've got a level and cordless drill, you'll be fine!

We've got the plasterer in at teh moment plastering the lounge/dining room - he charges $40 an hour. Been there 2 days so this will probably cost just over $1000 cos he's finishing off today (3rd day). It's a big area so this isn't too bad a price and seems to be the going rate for workman types.

All of the DIY stores have free hire trailers so when you go ans pickup your supplies, you can hire one of their trailers for free for an hour to take everything home. This has come in very handy!

More to come when I get more time. Hope this helps. Any questions just shout!

Cheers,
    Jod

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DIY and house renovation

This is an interesting thread Jodie and could be very useful to those, like ourselves, who are gathering info regarding home improvements and how to go about them. It's what this new category is all about. Great stuff! [smiley=Yes.gif]

I think I'll move Maggie's thread about underfloor heating and other forms of heating in here so it's all in one place. Just to confuse people. [smiley=Prankster.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

loopylu is offline Member

Hearing about the fact that new builds were more affordable than pre-owned houses I was wondering about the popularity of DIY stores (may not be an obvious link but that's just the way my mind works!!)...

In relation to this is house renovation popular over in NZ?? For instance in the UK there's quite a market for buying houses that are run down and doing them up to sell on for profit??? ?I guess I was thinking this may not be the case when new builds are so readily available and a cheap alternative???

Also good to hear the cost of plasterers as my other half is currently brushing up his plastering skills (on our house I might add ?:-/) so always something he could look for job wise once over there... do you know if plasterers have a recognised qualification over there and is it needed to ensure work????

Sorry this post has turned into a bunch of questions!!!! ?::)
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Bunnings and? Mitre10 are two well-known names for DIY supplies in NZ and seemed to be well patronised when we were there.

I think there will always be a market for DIY when kiwis probably find it cheaper to repair something in their home or adapt it to suit their needs rather than move house or have a new house built. ?They are great ones for patching things up rather than buying new, possibly because many of them can't afford new.

There is quite a demand for plasters and any kind of building tradesmen down under so there should be no shortage of work. ?I think there is a recognised qualification but I'm not sure what it is. ?I would certainly think it would help, even if it wasn't obligatory, to have such a qualification to flash about when looking for work.

Edited to add: this link mentions about having a qualification 'which is required to work within the construction industry'.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

There was a programme on TV recently about people selling their houses, and there was one woman who bought houses, quickly did them up, and sold them quick. With realty agents fees being so high she really had to work hard everyday and sell quick to make a profit.

The cost of my cheap 4bed new build would have been around $260,000 without the extras of heat pump, woodburning stove and concreted areas. On top of that there is the plot price. Forgetting any borrowing expenses, if I put the house on the market as soon as it is finished, I would expect a profit of between $75,000-$85,000. Of course, it depends on the area you live.
    :)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb