Thread: NZ necklaces

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default NZ necklaces

Not sure if anyone knows ... but do those necklaces the Kiwis wear actually mean something?

They are usually on a thick black thread and have various shapes in various stones - usually a white stone, the more expensive ones are greenstone.

Silly question really, but if they are making a 'statement' would like to know what it is!

:-/
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Lou
    Lou is offline Junior Member

Default Re: NZ necklaces

Hi Glenda,

Yes all the shapes have meaning. If you go into any tourist shop you'll see them for sale and most will have a card attached with the meanings explained. They are carved from bone or Jade and have meanings such as 'eternal bonds/friendships'or to 'keep you safe whilst travelling'etc.....

Hope that helps.

L :)

Hi Lou,

Nice to hear from you again ... I hope life in Welly is good, especially now the weather is better. :)

Thanks for that info. It was just one of those things I wondered about seeing how so many people wore them. I must admit I don't go into tourist shops here, having been promoted from tourist to permanent resident, ;) but it looks as if a little more basic education is required!

Cheers.
    :)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

justNoZi is offline Member

hi Glenda,

yes as Lou says they do mean something - depending on carving. they are beautiful charms.

Plus just to note i dont beleive you buy one for yourself - it should be gift from or to someone.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The meanings of the various pendants can be found here (meanings don?t display very well on my pute as the text area is too wide) here and here . (this one needs the text size cranking up a bit)

A bit about the giving, receiving and wearng of these necklaces .

I hope these are the ones you're asking about, Glenda.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Yes, great links there Mother Bear! [smiley=smiley20.gif]

I was wondering what to give my daughter for her birthday last month and hesitated on purchasing one of these necklaces as I really did not know what they meant; it has niggled me ever since.

Now we know!

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Although the above link probably has much more info, I recall these from the carvings I bought:

Koru (fern fiddleneck) spiral represents fresh life and beginnings.
    Maui's Fishhook is for luck and safe travel, especially on the water.

When I bought mine, I mostly selected them for aesthetic reasons. But their meanings add an amulet quality to them. I realize that the locals may not be as fond of them as we tourists, but they are beautiful. I'm not sure about any negative energy related to buying a carving for onesself, but it seems that giving is usually a good thing.

If ever you want to splurge on a gorgeous piece of wearable art, there's a bone carver, Brian Flintoff, http://www.jadeandbone.co.nz/, in the Nelson area. I recommend drooling all over his website.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Thanks for the link, selchie.

I did read somewhere on one of the other links that you can buy one of these necklaces for yourself, but it must be done with respect. I guess some believe there is a use/charm/talisman value to them - a bit like wearing a St. Christopher or cross.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005